• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Skivvy Roll: how to pack clothes for the day

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
Seems like most wilderness backpackers are not pilgrims and most pilgrims are not wilderness backpackers. European backpacking is travelling city to city with a backpack. But American style backpacking is wilderness hiking into remote regions. I think both groups can learn a few tricks from each other.

Here is a quick tutorial on how to pack your clothes in a very compact way.

image.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nice. But what about the trousers? Are they just separate?

Nice. But what about the trousers? Are they just separate?
You should be wearing those!

Seriously, I find that I can wear a pair of trousers for a few days without needing to launder them, they are just kept separate. I may take 2 pairs of "zip off" pants on a trip, but may have 2, 3 or 4 shirts, undies, sock pairs ... depending upon the trip type. So the 1 packed pair of pants that I have are rolled up alone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very nice! But if you start with the shirt face down instead of face up, the wrinkles will be more on the back than the front, if that matters.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whoa, "Camino chic". Think i gave up on that when I left my hair dryer and 80% of my travelling clothes in France! In almost all of the photos of my husband and I on the Camino we are in the same clothes. Washed the night before and back on the next day. It is really part of the whole experience of coming to understand what is important, and what are needs versus wants. Still love to get into my Camino clothes on my days off at home........

Very nice! But if you start with the shirt face down instead of face up, the wrinkles will be more on the back than the front, if that matters.
No wonder I had trouble making Camino friends. The people I approached probably saw my wrinkled T-shirt and inevitably stopped suddenly to re-tie their shoelaces while I passed on by. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What's all this nonsense about washing trousers ?

You have your "lucky" pair to walk in, which you never wash, in case the luck runs out.

Then you have a clean pair for evening wear. As you only ever wear these for a few hours each
evening, they never need to be washed. Same applies to your evening shirt.

....... I walked alone a lot

...................and ate alone a lot

Last edited:
What's all this nonsense about washing trousers ?

You have your "lucky" pair to walk in, which you never wash, in case the luck runs out.

Then you have a clean pair for evening wear. As you only ever wear these for a few hours each
evening, they never need to be washed. Same applies to your evening shirt.

....... I walked lone a lot

For you ... they run the botafumiero!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The crowd parting like the Red Sea ...
That must have been on account of a German pilgrim I met who said in all seriousness that he never got blisters because he never washed his outer socks. A Sherpa had told him that once, and he swore it worked.
(Edit. I washed mine every day and didn't get blisters either...FWIW.)

Take a look at this video for tips on how you fold clothes and pack your backpack:

Love the video! Problem is, I just cannot picture a single albergue or hotel room that has the space and/or a big flat table to be able to do that :confused:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.