• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Slackpacking the Camino Frances" - Pilgrimage Publications

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Slackpacking the Camino Frances will be published soon by Pilgrimage Publications. ± 130 pages with advice and information on where to start walking, how to get there, booking rooms, tour companies and luggage transporters, three walking itineraries (10km to 15km: 15km to 20km: 20km to 25km) with accommodation suggestions, packing lists, and contacts for trains, buses and taxis. There is also a 5km to 8km per day, 17 day itineray from Barbadelo to Santiago for the not-so-able pilgrim who wants to earn a Compostela walking the last 100km.

“The whole idea of ‘Slackpacking’ is that you don’t have to carry your luggage with you: this is transferred daily to your next hotel or pension. It frees you up to enjoy the walks at a leisurely pace with time for swims and picnics or restaurant meals on the way. Your accommodation is all booked and arranged prior to your trip, as are the transport logistics.” http://bengaasturias.com/

________________________________________________________________________________

‎'SLACKPACKING THE CAMINO FRANCES" - now available from the publisher: http://www.pilgrimagepublications.com/entry.html It will be available on all other online (Amazon et al) soon. €8.99

Attachments

• Slackpacking the Camino Frances cover 3.jpg
    Slackpacking the Camino Frances cover 3.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,260
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
:D Yes - I saw that one too! highcountryexplorations.com use the Appalachian Trail definition:
The word “slackpacking” probably got its start with Appalachian Trail (AT) hikers where towns and road crossings are frequent. In this context, Slackpacking is often connected with the concept of “section hiking,” hiking sections of a longer trail that is often “thru-hiked.” Theoretically, a person could slackpack the whole 2,000 mile Appalachian Trail, adding sections like puzzle pieces to a personal trail map. The concept was originally put forth as a reaction to the traditional backpacker who carries a heavy backpack for days on end. It now seems to have a broader meaning: reacting to any form of what some consider as more extreme hiking. As such it would also contrast with “Fastpacking” (those who revel in being able to hike 30-40-50 miles a day), ultrarunning on trails and peak bagging. Relaxed hut-to-hut hiking, popular in places like Europe, New Zealand and South Africa, should also be considered as examples of Slackpacking.

Slackpacking is a fairly new term but the principle has been around for yonks. I used a transfer service when I walked the Coast to Coast in England. Hikes that qualify include pack horses in the Andes, the almost compulsory Sherpa in the Himalya, camels in Morroco etc.

Old concept, new term!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It occurs to me that one could combine slackpacking with the kind of applied dawdling I already practice. Of course, the luggage transport people would have to be trained not to question why they are carting bags for less than ten kilometres, and why the customer spends five days getting just from Ponferrada to Cacabelos. (Hey, I like the Bierzo, okay? And those churros you get by the covered market in Ponferrada! They're always fried fresh, and really hold their grease.)

To the groaning shelves of Camino books, one might add a title like "Slothpacking the Camino: Beyond Slackpacking and Dawdling". Writing an entire book, however, could prove very tiring. So maybe not.

It sounds as though you would benefit from the Slow Camino itinerary in the book! 5km to 8km per day!

Sillydoll, I'm lovin' it. And that Asturian coastline on their website! Obviously, we're not short of good beaches where I live, but here you can't just walk from village to village for a different version of bean stew. Asturias, I'm coming.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you only write 5 to 8 pages a day, and someone else makes the morning and afternoon tea, it's not too tiring!

Profitable? I doubt Bloomsbury Publishing are going to knock on my door anytime soon!

sillydoll said:
Slackpacking the Camino Frances will be published soon by Pilgrimage Publications. ± 130 pages with advice and information on where to start walking, how to get there, booking rooms, tour companies and luggage transporters, three walking itineraries (10km to 15km: 15km to 20km: 20km to 25km) with accommodation suggestions, packing lists, and contacts for trains, buses and taxis. There is also a 5km to 8km per day, 17 day itineray from Barbadelo to Santiago for the not-so-able pilgrim who wants to earn a Compostela walking the last 100km.

“The whole idea of ‘Slackpacking’ is that you don’t have to carry your luggage with you: this is transferred daily to your next hotel or pension. It frees you up to enjoy the walks at a leisurely pace with time for swims and picnics or restaurant meals on the way. Your accommodation is all booked and arranged prior to your trip, as are the transport logistics.” http://bengaasturias.com/

________________________________________________________________________________

‎'SLACKPACKING THE CAMINO FRANCES" - now available from the publisher: http://www.pilgrimagepublications.com/entry.html It will be available on all other online (Amazon et al) soon. €8.99

Congratulations Sylvia for such an outstanding book, which I believe is now available from Amazon. What an excellent resource for so many pilgrims on the Camino - and there will be many who are not 'slackpacking' the whole way that will also find this book invaluable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My friends and I slackpacked the Coast to Coast in England a few years ago. A company called 'White Knights' carted our luggage from one B&B to the next and we just carried daypacks.

Most people hiking the Annapurna circuit in Nepal slackpack, with Sherpa carting their luggage and rooms booked in Tea-houses etc.
You can't hike to Mach Pichu on your own, you have to go with an organised group that carts your luggage etc to the ruins.

Slackpacking the Camino doesn't mean you won't get blisters, tendonitis, aching muscles and a funny tan! You will have to hike up the same mountain paths in the sun or rain, wobble down the same rocky descents, and struggle through the same boot-clinging mud and sludge with all the other pilgrims. The main difference is that your daypack will only weigh about 3kg instead of the average 7kg, and knowing that you have a bed and a hot shower waiting for you at the end of the day means that you dont have to race or queue for a bed in a pilgrim dormitory.

If you are planning on walking a slow Camino Frances - or a low mileage Camino Frances - and want to stay in accommodation other than municipal albergues, "Slackpacking the Camino Frances" offers 3 walking itineraries with accommodation suggestions. 10km - 15km, 15km to 20km, 20km - 25km. It also lists luggage transfer and a long list of taxi numbers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is even a dedicated website for "Slackpacking":)
http://www.slackpacker.com/checklist.html
I guess we fall in-between "backpackers" and "slackpackers";) Carrying all our own stuff apart from sleeping bags, walking 15k or so per day and staying in pensións.
Suits us just fine.
blessings
Tio Tel

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.