• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleep Sack

ashmarimac

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2012)
Portugues - Valenca to Santiago (2019)
Hi all. I'll be doing the Camino Ingles in May of this year. Is it suggested that I bring a sleep sack? I have a small, compact one that I purchased for the CF, however I never used it as it wasn't needed. Suggested packing lists often include this item, but I wanted to see if anyone whose done the CI has any insight into the facilities at the municipal albergues on this route.

Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A sleep sack worked fine for me. I like to be cool when I sleep. If you need to be warm, then a light weight sleeping bag would be better. May is a mix of hot and cool weather.

When I did the CF (March 2014), bedding was provided by the albergues so I didn'tend up using mine. My main question is - do I even need to bother bringing one? I'm not as familiar with the CI but am still unsure about this piece despite researching the route.

Trying to save weight/space in my pack!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I did the CF (March 2014), bedding was provided by the albergues so I didn'tend up using mine. My main question is - do I even need to bother bringing one? I'm not as familiar with the CI but am still unsure about this piece despite researching the route.

Trying to save weight/space in my pack!

If you’ve never used it, I suggest you try it at home and see how you like it. I did not like the first one I bought because it stuck to my body and didn’t allow the freedom of movement that I need to sleep well. My grand daughter Loved it. I bought a second one and I like it so well that I use it when I travel just because I prefer my own “bedding” when I sleep in a new bed. Gear testing is very important.

The albergues I stayed in on the CI (September 201)all had blankets except the Hostel Santa María del Azogue in Betanzos. However that was a really nice (new, very clean) albergue and well worth staying in with very friendly hospitaleros.

Buen camino

bedding was provided by the albergues so I didn't end up using mine
Albergues generally do not provide bedding. Some provide a disposable mattress cover and pillow cover if required by local regulation. They do not allow pilgrims to sleep directly on the mattress for reasons of cleanliness, so pilgrims must have something such as linens, a sleeping bag, or a sleep sack. Pensiones and hoteles generally provide bedding, so if you stay exclusively in them you can leave the sleeping sack at home. I personally would use a permethrin treated sleep sack even in these private accommodations. They get bedbugs as regularly as the albergues!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was conscious of weight, so I hiked the Camino Frances with a silk sleep sack. It served me well from late April to early June. There were only a couple of nights when I might have been cold, but to avoid that I put on my silk long underwear, and my fleece top. Not as good as a nice blanket, but it worked for me. I bet it can for you, too, Ashmarimac. Good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.