• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleep sheet vs sleeping bag for May Camino?

Cristinaa

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Really stuck as to which to go with for a May Camino? Sleep sheet or sleeping bag? Also are all hostel/albergues okay with sleeping bags being used? Are there rules like this at the hostels?

Thankyou

Cristina

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Really stuck as to which to go with for a May Camino? Sleep sheet or sleeping bag? Also are all hostel/albergues okay with sleeping bags being used? Are there rules like this at the hostels?

Thankyou

Cristina
Not sure what you mean by sleep sheet. And am I correct in assuming you would be walking the Frances? I would suggest a sleeping bag liner vs a sheet, if a sheet is one flat piece of material, for hygiene purposes. Even when there is a sheet on the mattress, paper or not, it can be dirty or more around and leave you on an old dirty mattresses. I used to carry a liner with a super thin polysomething blankets, like the ones given in conventions amd airplains,back in the day, and that worked well in May and September. Now I prefer a light sleeping bag.

Thanks Anemone

Yes Frances, and sleep sheet/sleep liner, usually silk shaped like a sleeping bag. So not a flat bed sheet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My current sleepingbag is the Mercurial by North Face. Now discontinued unfortunately, but anything similar would do the job. And actually, I lied when I said liner and thin blanket would be OK in May: the reason I now use the sleeping bag is because of May 2103 when Spain had record cold temps and it was freezing, and raining. Not fun. Had to wait until Burgos to find a bag, and it was mummy, super unconfortable, so now I carry the Mercurial (had to buy a larger backpack, but it's ok, since it's newer generation it's actually lighter then the original one). The blankets I refer to are these: http://www.4imprint.com/search/blankets/product/121368/Rally-Blanket-with-Pouch

My liner is the Sea to Sumit Adaptor, with bug shield: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAL0EA/?tag=casaivar02-20 (Never have had a bed bug bite while using it).

I would take a lightweight sleeping bag. It can be cold in the mountains even in June and according to a post on Facebook today, some albergues have stopped giving out blankets due to the bedbug issue. I always take my down sleep blanket on each Camino!

@Anniesantiago -- what do you mean by a down sleep blanket? Surely you don't carry a full down comforter. I've been looking at down lap blankets online. Ordered one to see whether it might work, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are there rules like this at the hostels?
If you have to be warm to sleep soundly, take a lightweight sleeping bag. Only you know what you need! :)

It will be hot in May except at the higher elevations. Virtually all albergues have blankets (not Roncesvalles, which may be cold any time of the year), so a nylon or silk sleep sack is adequate for many pilgrims. I have discarded or shipped home my sleeping bag on three occasions, so the choice can be tough! Save the weight if you can. Remember that inside is warmer than outside, and the body heat of many roommates can make it even warmer and stuffier.

I would agree with the others. Bring a light sleeping bag. Some albergues can be very cold at night in May. and it is very difficult to walk well if you have had a sleepless night.
If you are too warm you can undo the zip or even lie on top of it.

Buen Camino

I am also planning a May Camino Francis and am wondering about sleeping gear. I have an ultra light down mummy bag, a fleece mummy bag liner and a Columbia Omni-Heat Sleeping bag liner. I am thinking of taking the Omni-heat bag liner as it is the lightest and warmer than the fleece liner. I will be biking and want as little extra bulk and weight as possible. It is so small it will fit in a pocket. On a really cold night, I could also put on rain pants for a little extra insulation.

I would appreciate folks thoughts on the Omni-Heat liner as this liner reflects body heat, is ultra light and has very little bulk.

http://www.columbia.com/omni-heat-sleeping-bag-liner-UU9891.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thankyou

Cristina
Id have a light weight non down bag. Ive carried a silk sleeping bag liner and been cold. I now always take a lightweight NON DOWN sleeping bag. Also if you are using a liner and encounter a hostel that has communal not very clean blankets you are ok. You can even use your bag to take a nap on something clean (i.e. bench or tabke top) that would be too uncofortable with out yhe padding. Ive never known anybody take exception to me using a bag. Another reason for synthetics is you can wash it. Washing a down filled bag is no fun.

My current sleepingbag is the Mercurial by North Face. Now discontinued unfortunately, but anything similar would do the job. And actually, I lied when I said liner and thin blanket would be OK in May: the reason I now use the sleeping bag is because of May 2103 when Spain had record cold temps and it was freezing, and raining. Not fun. Had to wait until Burgos to find a bag, and it was mummy, super unconfortable, so now I carry the Mercurial (had to buy a larger backpack, but it's ok, since it's newer generation it's actually lighter then the original one). The blankets I refer to are these: http://www.4imprint.com/search/blankets/product/121368/Rally-Blanket-with-Pouch

My liner is the Sea to Sumit Adaptor, with bug shield: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAL0EA/?tag=casaivar02-20 (Never have had a bed bug bite while using it).
I agree! I also walked in the cold and rain of 2013, and carried both a thermal sleeping bag liner and lightweight sleeping bag. Some albergues had already turned off the heat for the Spring and I often needed the albergue blankets to sleep. Only you know what you need to sleep comfortably. Buen Camino!
Sue

I am also planning a May Camino Francis and am wondering about sleeping gear. I have an ultra light down mummy bag, a fleece mummy bag liner and a Columbia Omni-Heat Sleeping bag liner. I am thinking of taking the Omni-heat bag liner as it is the lightest and warmer than the fleece liner. I will be biking and want as little extra bulk and weight as possible. It is so small it will fit in a pocket. On a really cold night, I could also put on rain pants for a little extra insulation.

I would appreciate folks thoughts on the Omni-Heat liner as this liner reflects body heat, is ultra light and has very little bulk.

http://www.columbia.com/omni-heat-sleeping-bag-liner-UU9891.html
This looks like a wonderful product. Read it could keep you warm on its own up to 55 F or 12 C which sounds good to me for indoors. But it's now discontinued. My concern with these metallics if if they are noisy or not. Would also love to hear from other who may know the product. 10 ounces and 7X7 carrying pouch sounds really good!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Christinaa, you could also consider teaming a silk bag liner with a "Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Fleece type Liner. Three models, with the heavier one, at 400gms, adding 14 degrees C in temp, and relatively small in size.

I'm traveling all of May and my plan is to bring a Enlightened Equipment Revelation Quilt (30degree). I get cold and can't stand the confines of a sleeping bag. Both are very light weight and grand total weight still less than a sleeping bag. I think with both I should be good ( I hope!).
I've been looking at those Enlightened Quilts, too. Have you received it yet? What do you think?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've been looking at those Enlightened Quilts, too. Have you received it yet? What do you think?
I'm waiting until November to buy/ was told by their customer service line that they will have a big sale.

I'm traveling all of May and my plan is to bring a Enlightened Equipment Revelation Quilt (30degree). I get cold and can't stand the confines of a sleeping bag. Both are very light weight and grand total weight still less than a sleeping bag. I think with both I should be good ( I hope!).

A few years back, I cut the zipper and the hood out of my down sleeping bag.
I love that thing now and wouldn't travel without it.
It is VERY lightweight and warm.
And like you say, I don't like being confined, so it's nice to be able to just lay it over myself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thankyou

Cristina
Hi Cristina,
I walked in May 2015 and believe me when I tell you, you do NOT need a sleeping bag. I was torn just like you and I am so glad I chose not to carry a sleeping bag. There was never a night that I needed it. In the colder areas in May all the Albergues have blankets on the beds. Then when it gets warmer (as you travel west) your sleep sheet is all you will need. If you ever need a blanket just ask your host and they usually have them. Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

This is exactly what I used and I love it! I used it every night and it slips right back into it's tiny little bag in nothing flat!

Hi Cristina,
I walked in May 2015 and believe me when I tell you, you do NOT need a sleeping bag. I was torn just like you and I am so glad I chose not to carry a sleeping bag. There was never a night that I needed it. In the colder areas in May all the Albergues have blankets on the beds. Then when it gets warmer (as you travel west) your sleep sheet is all you will need. If you ever need a blanket just ask your host and they usually have them. Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

Awesome Rebecca! Thankyou for replying, this has made my decision 100% easier.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in May/June last year on my first Camino and took a lightweight sleeping bag, but it was so warm I hardly used it.

This year on my second Camino also in May/June I just took a silk liner which was perfect. All the albergues I stayed in had blankets available but I did not need them much.

Christinaa, you could also consider teaming a silk bag liner with a "Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Fleece type Liner. Three models, with the heavier one, at 400gms, adding 14 degrees C in temp, and relatively small in size.
Hey Wazza, i had thought to do this actually. Would I need the silk liner also? Like..what would be the purpose of having the silk liner also you think? I've never had one of those sea to summit reactor things, so unsure what they are like to sleep in on their own.

Hey Wazza, i had thought to do this actually. Would I need the silk liner also? Like..what would be the purpose of having the silk liner also you think? I've never had one of those sea to summit reactor things, so unsure what they are like to sleep in on their own.
Hi Christinaa, the silk liner would add a little extra warmth for minor weight. For the times the nights inside the albergues were warm/hot a silk liner maybe all you need. BTW I have never slept in a "reactor" by itself as I always sleep in my silk liner. Try the combinations at home first.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi Sally, I am walking May/June next year too and have exactly the same sleeping gear. I was worried that my quilt didn't compact small enough, did you find the same ? It is a little bulky but I love the feel of it.
Maybe we will meet along The Way !
Bune Camino

I just returned from the camino in October and was so very glad to have my lightweight sleeping bag. I already had one for camping and did not want to invest in a liner instead. Turns out not all of the albergues that I stayed in had blankets readily available. My bag was very light by using just less stuff overall and the sleeping bag was wonderful.

For me, starting in mid-April, I decided I wanted something in addition to a sleep sack. I was looking at the Enlightened Quilts, too, until I found this packable down travel throw on Amazon. See https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015D47MVW/?tag=casaivar02-20. It's only 700 fill power (the Enlightened quilts start at 800), but it seems to be enough warmth for me. And it's only $43 instead of $200+, comes with a stuff sack, and weighs only 450 grams. The picture shows it on top of a piece of paper for scale. Just thought you'd like to know.

Attachments

• 20151027_201424_resized.jpg
    20151027_201424_resized.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 8
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.