• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll Sleep system: Sleeping bag, liner, etc?

For sleeping, what do you use/recommend for the months of March-June and September-November?

• Sleeping bag (fairly light weight)

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Liner only

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Sleeping bag plus liner

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Liner plus down blanket/quilt

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Down or other blanket only

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • None, because I plan to use private accommodation that provides bedding

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • None, because I am willing to take my chances without

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other, because I want to quibble with the poll design

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
For fun, let's conduct a poll. We have this question come up so often, that it might be convenient to point to poll results that illustrate the range of responses.

Because the forum software offers very limited polling choices, we'll need to make some generalizations and assumptions, to make one recommendation that covers:
  • All routes in Spain and Portugal
  • All months except mid-summer (July and August), and winter (December-January-February)
Feel free to provide more nuanced responses in posts below.

Edited to add: I expect that the option of "None, because I plan to use private accommodation" will be under-represented in this poll, because many of those people won't even bother to read this thread.)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I voted for “liner plus down quilt”. This is basically a homemade version of a very light down sleeping bag, but it is cheaper (if you can find the cheap down quilt) and it provides the option of not using the down part if the weather is too hot.

However, I sleep “cold” so I will make sure that in the cooler months I can also wear a down vest/jacket, 1 or 2 layers of merino wool on both top and bottom, a wool buff or hat, and wool socks.

I voted for liner plus down quilt with a homemade solution from casa+camino that I can use with the quilt above me or just a liner above me. But I haven't actually used it yet, since I acquired it after my last Camino. My previous two Caminos were liner only.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went for (silk) liner plus sleeping bag. Used this in September and always used sleeping bag, sometimes added the liner. I sleep cold so I prefer to be too hot rather than run the risk of getting too cold.

Also, my sleeping bag only has down on the top and nothing on the bottom, it’s designed to slip a thermarest into it, so it’s pretty lightweight and compact. Plus it was gear I already had 😬

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Someday, I will write my Memoirs "Confessions of a Gear Junkie". I am thinking about how many sleeping bags and liners we have at home. I think right now for just the two of us we have 3 liner bags, one poncho liner and a poncho liner bag with a zipper and 4 sleeping bags. I got rid of two other fleece liners last spring at a garage sale and mailed a 5th sleeping bag to one of our kids...also have 3 inflatable pillows. When you put them in a dark corner, they multiply like tribles...

That last option 🤣🤣🤣
Voted liner + down blanket. It gives you multiple options and is still very light in weight.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the depths of winter I sometimes waver and take my warmer sleeping bag, but I normally take a liner and down blanket, and it's even what is in my summer camping kit for routes in France

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's were the notion of "packing our fears" comes in. On the Portugues I got caught out only once for having brought only a liner. It was a slightly uncomfortable night, but I survived. Still I chose liner+sleeping bag in anticipation of the VdlP next october. But will I really? Or shall I risk it to avoid the weight? Maybe if I find the unicorn amongst sleeping bags (warm, light and roomy)? Questions!!

PS: thanks for the poll! love it!

I had to vote Other. Reason is that I put even more emphasis on sleep clothing layers than the single sleep item like a liner or sleeping bag.

Additionally my selections are hugely limited by packed size of the item. I have seen both blankets and sleeping bags that can get down to 18x11cm.

Additionally the single sleep item I prefer to keep under 500 grams, while the sleeping clothes layers might be up to 800-1500 grams depending on the season.

The sleep layers double as evening wear after hiking, so its not that much of additional weight. Just has double useage. Meanwhile carrying a warmer sleeping bag is additional weight that I will not wear as evening clothes.

i voted for sleeping bag, but I've cut the zipper and hood off my down bag and I guess you'd now call it a down blanket. However, I do not take a liner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
March and June are very different in temperatures as are September and November. The temperatures can change dramatically during these seasons and what I take is definitely different.

For fun, let's conduct a poll. We have this question come up so often, that it might be convenient to point to poll results that illustrate the range of responses.

Because the forum software offers very limited polling choices, we'll need to make some generalizations and assumptions, to make one recommendation that covers:
  • All routes in Spain and Portugal
  • All months except mid-summer (July and August), and winter (December-January-February)
Feel free to provide more nuanced responses in posts below.

Edited to add: I expect that the option of "None, because I plan to use private accommodation" will be under-represented in this poll, because many of those people won't even bother to read this thread.)
Liner only. Most Albergues had extra blankets I could borrow if I needed to.

I voted sleeping bag plus liner, but my silk liner (172 g) has been cut open to form a flat sheet, and my sleeping bag (455 g) is unzipped and thus converted into a down blanket.
I can't sleep in a closed bag as my feet sleep hot while my shoulders sleep cold.

IMG_8493.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A few years back someone suggested a down quilt that was being sold at Costco for $25 ( for 2 ;-)) ).
I got one , asked my sis to sew the end and up to 20% of the way up and that got me a wonderful lite, tiny, almost weightless solution. That has been my goto since. I guess that would be a down/quilt/liner/sleeping bag in one !

Last edited:
March and June are very different in temperatures as are September and November. The temperatures can change dramatically during these seasons and what I take is definitely different.
Yes, the temperatures can change dramatically in any month, and year to year, and that's why one needs to be prepared for a range of conditions, and not just the average temperature. In March, I would probably take a full size down quilt inside the liner, but in June I would only take a half-size. Most of the difference in sleeping gear would be in the clothes that I can layer inside the bag/liner. I would take a down vest and an extra base layer of merino wool in March but not in June. This is more versatile than a warmer sleeping bag would be.

I had to vote Other. Reason is that I put even more emphasis on sleep clothing layers than the single sleep item like a liner or sleeping bag.
I am glad to see someone vote for Other!😅 I totally agree with you about the importance of clothes inside that outer "bag" enclosure, but that would make the poll too complicated. In fact, I could have just said "In addition to whatever clothing layers you carry....what do you bring as bedding?"

My sleep setup in addition to a silk/merino Cocoon blanket is as follows (in brackets would be a cold season alternative):
  • Long merino leggins (or insulated syntetic leggins)
  • Thin merino socks (or thick ones)
  • Merino T-shirt (or long sleeve)
  • Thin fleece quarter zip jacket (or thick fleece + hat & buff)
As eveningwear I could use the same stuff. Just add shorts or long pants. Either way it would be one of two pairs of pants I use for hiking.

If I ever had to do Camino in Winter then I would concider a synthetic puff jacket for evenings + sleep. The core idea still revolves around dual useage items.

The reason why I have pushed myself into this extreme mindset is that I like to travel with only hand luggage. This year my flight tickets allow only a personal item, so I will be doing Camino Norte into Primitivo with just a 20L Osprey Daylite Plus backpack.

Gear list overview:
http://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/04/12/gear-packing-list-camino/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Still I chose liner+sleeping bag in anticipation of the VdlP next October

I chose liner+ down blanket because I mostly used my lightweight sleeping bag as its blanket option. And used both regularly on my October VDLP last year. It gets cold 😀

Well - I put sleeping bag plus liner - but I would specify a lightweight DOWN sleeping bag. I like the flexibility of just the liner or both - for warm vs cold nights. But really - a down sleeping bag or quilt can be interchangeable based on preference.

I just went to REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) in the Seattle area to look at liners, sleeping bags, liners, blankets, and quilts. The combo I liked the best consisted of:
1. Cacoon Mummy Liner (100% silk) 95"x35"/22" (241x90/56 cm), 4.7 oz. / 135 g at $84.95. On the tag it said it will make a warmth difference of about 9.5 degrees F (~5.5 C)
2. REI Co-op Magma Trail Quilt 30, 850 down fill, 78" long, 56" girth, 1 lb. 4 oz. at $329. It's rated for 30 degrees F (-1.1 C)

A blanket would have weighed less. As there is a chance we may tent a few nights, I'll go for the zipped quilt, instead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Previously I've taken a light weight 7 degree C down sleeing bag but have been too hot so this year (leave in 17 days!) I've opted for a silk liner plus small down (Montbell) quilt as recommended by several people on the forum. It seems so light, I'm a little worried..... but can always layer up:)

Interesting results as I have begun planning for my first Camino for late summer. I had planned on a sleeping bag but concerned regarding too warm and bed bugs. For the liner and sleeping bag does the sleeping bag go inside the liner or is The liner inside the sleeping bag? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For the liner and sleeping bag does the sleeping bag go inside the liner or is The liner inside the sleeping bag?
I expect that originally, the idea of a "liner" was that it would go inside the sleeping bag - to keep the sleeping bag clean, as the liner is easier to wash. However, a lot a variations have developed.

Many people have inexpensive down blankets that are very slippery and soon slide off the bed. Putting the blanket inside the liner holds it in position so it can keep you warm.

Hi All
George from Ireland.
My first time posting on this forum.
I go on my first camino on 04th of May from SJPP.
So I have no experience on anything Camino related.
I would really appreciate opinions on the sleep system I intend to use.
To keep my pack weight down ,
I will use a sleeping bag liner + a SOL Bivy bag if the nights get too cold.
I have tried this at home and it is reasonably comfortable.
Will this be sufficient or should I carry a sleeping bag ?
All opinions welcome.
Cheers,
George

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I also have a SOL bivy bag. If you use it with a liner then it would probably be warm enough on all but the coldest of nights. Personally I'd rather have my summer down sleeping bag though as the SOL rustles like a crisp packet and might well draw some sour looks in your direction in a dorm room! :cool:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also have a SOL bivy bag. If you use it with a liner then it would probably be warm enough on all but the coldest of nights. Personally I'd rather have my summer down sleeping bag though as the SOL rustles like a crisp packet and might well draw some sour looks in your direction in a dorm room! :cool:
Hi Bradypus.
I hadn't considered that.
As I hope to spend 70% of my time in albergues
I guess I will have to look at this again.
Thanks.
GcTipp

As I hope to spend 70% of my time in albergues
With albergues - some have blankets. some don't. Those that do - they aren't washed frequently (some people aren't comfortable with that). How much you need depends on whether you are a cold or warm sleeper. I am cold when I sleep - so I usually need my silk liner AND my summer weight down sleeping bag or quilt. I look for the lightest/most compressible option I can afford. Warm sleepers are often fine with just a liner.

I confess to having never used a liner in my life. I've heard about them since I was a kid backpacking around Europe, but still don't really understand their purpose. Or more accurately, I don't understand their purpose when used in conjunction with a sleeping bag. I can understand taking a liner or a sleeping bag, but not both. Personally I'll be taking an extremely lightweight down bag and nothing else. I may perhaps discover somewhere along the way why I might want a liner as well, but it'll be too late then.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
  1. LIner absorbs the sweat and is easier to wash.
  2. Liner adds a layer of insulation.
  3. You can use separately if you like.
Thanks. I guess because none of those really apply to me I don't see the need. Also, perhaps if I didn't have a good quality and ultralight down sleeping bag I might see the need for a liner. My wife has one that she bought for overnight hikes that I was planning to take with me, but after asking her about it she mentioned she never actually used it. So I'll travel with just a sleeping bag, and time will tell whether or not that's sufficient for me. If I wasn't so focused on keeping the weight of my pack to a minimum I'd probably take a liner just in case, but my liner actually weighs more than my sleeping bag.

Thanks. I guess because none of those really apply to me I don't see the need. Also, perhaps if I didn't have a good quality and ultralight down sleeping bag I might see the need for a liner. My wife has one that she bought for overnight hikes that I was planning to take with me, but after asking her about it she mentioned she never actually used it. So I'll travel with just a sleeping bag, and time will tell whether or not that's sufficient for me. If I wasn't so focused on keeping the weight of my pack to a minimum I'd probably take a liner just in case, but my liner actually weighs more than my sleeping bag.

How heavy is that liner and what's the fabric made of? Must be lead 😉.

I use a liner especially in my down sleeping bag, because cleaning it is a nightmare (it doesn't fit into the dryer at home and drying in a laundromat would take ages and cost a fortune, so I have to send it to a specialized place (for outdoor gear and down sleeping bags) that knows how to clean it properly (=without ruining it). Pricey and complicated.

Using a liner keeps the sleeping bag clean longer, because I often wash the liner (dries in seconds when it's warm/sunny).

The liner is an insect shield silk liner with about the weight of an apple (~150g?). Bought it used, so it was cheap.

When it's hot the liner alone is nice, usually for falling asleep. When it's colder or gets colder later at night, I add the sleeping bag.

It's nice to be flexible. Worth the 150g for me :)

(But If it was heavier than the sleeping bag it certainly would stay at home!)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I scrolled through but didn't find any using my system--an 'overbag' and sleeping clothes.

An overbag is simply a zippered rectangular bag you put over another sleeping bag to get extra warmth, but I use the overbag by itself. The 'top' is Thinsulate and the 'bottom' is a sheet. If that's too warm, I just flip it over with the sheet on top. If that's still too warm, I unzip the side part way or all the way down.

Since the overbag is designed to go over another bag, it's roomy, which is an advantage for thrasher side-sleepers like me. I wear a thin merino wool long-sleeve pullover (which doubles as an over sweater on chilly mornings) and thin nylon river pants (which doubles as an extra pair of trousers when my hiking ones need washing).

It's light but not as light and small volume as a summer down bag, but much more versatile. An overbag would be easy to make if no longer available in stores.

An overbag is simply a zippered rectangular bag you put over another sleeping bag to get extra warmth, but I use the overbag by itself.
This is how many of us are using the "liners" - mine is quite roomy - but "overbag" is probably a better description!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.