• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleep Systems

BEACHCOMBER

Time of past OR future Camino
PLAN FOR 2017
I am planning my Camino for mid April 2017
I will be using the French route.
my question is sleeping bag? bug resistant bag liner, sleeping pad.
weight is a major concern.
so is daily distance. this could be a long trek.
what do I need? what can I do with out?
I am thinking a 10c/50f sleeping bag and a liner.
is a pad necessary?
thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use a Therm-a-Rest down quilt combined with an Asolo sleeping sheet that can be a bag when colder or unzipped to a flat sheet when only cooler. The system weighs under 2.2 lbs or 1 kg and is comfortable down to +2c. We can't get the bedbug treated sheets in Canada as permethrin is listed as a carcinogen but so far haven't had any bedbug issues anyway (knock on wood!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are Walking the Camino right now. We are using lightweight sleeping bags down to 40 degrees plus we have soap liners which will add about 10 degrees plus to the sleeping. I'm not sure what it'll be like when you get here but we've a couple of Albergues with very little Heat. And many of the heaters are on timers and will turn off in the middle of night. We have had a couple of Stormy nights with snow and lots of rain on the really cold nights with very little heat. And many of the heaters are on timers and we'll turn off in the middle of night. We have had a couple of stormy nights with snow and lots of rain on the really cold nights I sleep in my long johns

We are Walking the Camino right now. We are using lightweight sleeping bags down to 40 degrees plus we have soap liners which will add about 10 degrees plus to the sleeping. I'm not sure what it'll be like when you get here but we've a couple of Albergues with very little Heat. And many of the heaters are on timers and will turn off in the middle of night. We have had a couple of Stormy nights with snow and lots of rain on the really cold nights with very little heat. And many of the heaters are on timers and we'll turn off in the middle of night. We have had a couple of stormy nights with snow and lots of rain on the really cold nights I sleep in my long johns
Should say silk liners and not soap liners.

We can't get the bedbug treated sheets in Canada as permethrin is listed as a carcinogen
Permethrin can be bought in Canada - check the insecticides at Canadian Tire. It is more likely that "bedbug repellent" sheets cannot be marketed as such because no studies have shown that they are effective. To advertise this would require evidence of effectiveness.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went with a sleeping bag rated to 35f/2c. I did not use any repellant. I had no issues with bed bugs. I did not use a liner. You won't need to bring a pad. I thought about getting one of those quilts but decided I liked having the sleeping bag between me and the bed sheets. I'm glad I made that decision. Most of the bedding in the alburgues was clean and fresh, but at a few of the alburgues it looked a bit dodgy.

Permethrin can be bought in Canada - check the insecticides at Canadian Tire. It is more likely that "bedbug repellent" sheets cannot be marketed as such because no studies have shown that they are effective. To advertise this would require evidence of effectiveness.
Hi! I know it can be bought as an insecticide but believe it cannot be found in a personal product that is intended to touch your skin because it's labeled as a carcinogen. To me that makes sense as your skin is your largest organ and absorbs such things easily directly into your system. Think I'll hope for another bedbug-free Camino with fingers crossed instead!!

Hi! I know it can be bought as an insecticide but believe it cannot be found in a personal product that is intended to touch your skin
I haven't heard of it being sold anywhere in a personal product to be applied to the skin as an insect repellant.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Plenty of info on Permithrin, and it's effectiveness re BB, how, what, where to apply, etc, on this site. Use the search function. I use a Lifesystems treated sheet. The sheet is treated by the factory @ .5%. I re-treat to .8%. The sheet acts in two ways. First, as a barrier physically blocking the bugs from crawling on top of the mattress. Secondly, the permithrin kills the bugs and/or interrupts the egg cycle . I also carry all my clothes(clean and dirty), sleeping bag, etc. inside silnylon bags in my pack-makes it tidy and dry. I treat the inside of the bags. I also treat the outside of my pack. This acts to stop the spread of BBs. BTW, permithrin IS used in topical shampoo and cream for use on humans. It's in various shampoos for the treatment of lice, etc. Although, I wouldn't rx for the camino.

https://entomologytoday.org/2015/04/01/pyrethroid-resistant-bed-bugs-fewer-eggs-activeguard/

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have used a Season 1 (15degree) mummy style sleeping bag and it has mostly been great. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in it each day and have yet to have trouble with bed bugs. (Tea tree oil is a great all purpose product). I also always sleep in my clothes. That said, coming into Leon last May 2015, it was so cold that I ended up booking into a hotel simply to get warm. It was about 2 or 3 degrees C on the morning of May 23rd.
Buen Camino

I've used a down-sleeping quilt for a number of years. It doesn't keep me so warm these days so to avoid buying another one I bought a £3.50 fleece blanket from Ebay. When I am ready to sleep I put the blanket over me and then pull the quilt over both of us. My warmth problem is now solved.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back