• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag a MUST in October?

Ktmeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2018
Hello!

I’m new to this forum but have found a wealth of information here. I’ll be walking the Camino from St. Jean beginning 10/2 for two weeks. I know the weather can be tricky this time of year but I’m wondering if it’s absolutely necessary to bring a sleeping bag. A friend told me I don’t need one. (?!) Do most places have bedding or would I need to stay in hotels each not (and I know they’re not in every town). Your thoughts are appreciated. Would love to leave the extra weight at home if possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!

I’m new to this forum but have found a wealth of information here. I’ll be walking the Camino from St. Jean beginning 10/2 for two weeks. I know the weather can be tricky this time of year but I’m wondering if it’s absolutely necessary to bring a sleeping bag. A friend told me I don’t need one. (?!) Do most places have bedding or would I need to stay in hotels each not (and I know they’re not in every town). Your thoughts are appreciated. Would love to leave the extra weight at home if possible.
Welcome to the forum!

I didn't walk in October but knowing the terrain on CF for first two weeks (rather hilly in the beginning) I would say bring a sleeping bag if you plan to stay in albergues. Of course it depends how cold is cold for you and what kind (temps/weight) of sleeping bag you want to bring.
But if you plan to stay in private accommodation then don't bring it.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hello!

You need something to sleep in. Most albergues don't provide bedding beyond a disposable bottom sheet and pillowcase. Many people bring just a silk liner and rely on albergue blankets for warmth. However, not all albergues supply blankets, and some look pretty iffy. I bring a silk liner and very small down blanket that I tuck inside the silk liner for warmth. I've needed to use the blanket in July, so I'm sure that you'll nerd something in October. My sleep gear weighs just 12 ounces.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are leaving on Oct 3 From SJPDP and heading for Santiago. We are staying overnight in Orisson and we may need a sleeping bag as well. By the time we get to Leon we will need sleeping bag for sure. I would at least bring a liner...mine is silk. I am bringing a lite sleeping bag -1lb. If you have a liner, you can always pile all your clothes on at night in the liner. I do not like to wear so much at night so the sleeping bag or a lite blanket as trecile suggests would be sufficient. If you only stay in private rooms sleeping gear won’t be necessary!

Hello!

I’m on the Camino Del Norte and most places have some type of bedding but my sleeping bag is .7 pounds. Better to have because not all places have bedding. Plus controls bed bugs

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You need something to sleep in. Most albergues don't provide bedding beyond a disposable bottom sheet and pillowcase. Many people bring just a silk liner and rely on albergue blankets for warmth. However, not all albergues supply blankets, and some look pretty iffy. I bring a silk liner and very small down blanket that I tuck inside the silk liner for warmth. I've needed to use the blanket in July, so I'm sure that you'll nerd something in October. My sleep gear weighs just 12 ounces.
Love this idea a silk liner and a small down blanket (I already have). I’ll have to try it out at home first and see if I stay warm enough. Thanks!

Shoulder seasons can be very tricky to pack for. One year October can be the end of summer with sunny blue skies where the next year it is the beginning of winter with snow on the ground. I used a down quilt with a +2C spec in April/May and was happy to have it as it was cold many nights. For the few extra ounces/grams I know I would take a decent quilt or bag with me as getting a good, relaxing night of sleep is a top priority for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello!

I always bring a sleeping bag. A light one. The weather can vary greatly and even at the height of Summer I have been cold in some places.
Unless you can be sure you only sleep in hotels, then I’d say bring one. If you don’t mind the cold, then it can only be a ‘liner’ bag... But you will need something!

I wouldn't go without. In fact my really good light sleeping bag got lost moving so I just got a new one at 680 grams for less than 20£. Saving weight does not have to be costly, especially as one only needs a one season bag sleeping indors all the way...
Can I ask what brand you purchased and would it suffice in April do you think?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello!

I’m new to this forum but have found a wealth of information here. I’ll be walking the Cat saidmino from St. Jean beginning 10/2 for two weeks. I know the weather can be tricky this time of year but I’m wondering if it’s absolutely necessary to bring a sleeping bag. A friend told me I don’t need one. (?!) Do most places have bedding or would I need to stay in hotels each not (and I know they’re not in every town). Your thoughts are appreciated. Would love to leave the extra s at home if possible.

A sleeping bag is not necessary in October. The weather that time of the year should be mild. That said, if you encounter cooler climes, alburgues have warm blankets if needed. You also have the option of staying in pension's which are generally very comfortable (think private bathroom and shower) and affordable. If I were you, I would take a silk liner and leave the bag and weight behind.

Do you like to be warm at night, cozy in bed? If so, then take a lightweight (500g) sleeping bag. Not all places have blankets, and believe me, some of the blankets I've seen I wouldn't want touching my body. And Spain is second only to Switzerland for mountains and on the CF you'll be spending the night in some places over 900 meters in elevation. Chilly! I walked in July one year and I was almost frozen in my fleece sleeping bag liner. Never again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum!

I didn't walk in October but knowing the terrain on CF for first two weeks (rather hilly in the beginning) I would say bring a sleeping bag if you plan to stay in albergues. Of course it depends how cold is cold for you and what kind (temps/weight) of sleeping bag you want to bring.
But if you plan to stay in private accommodation then don't bring it.

Buen Camino!
I walked from St Jean starting in September with last two weeks in October. It was fine weather and my fleece liner was sufficient. The last two days in Santiago were quite chilly so if I had been in an albergue it could have been cold enough for a bag. But then weather can be a strange thing. The previous year I walked in April and it was unseasonably warm. Got into May and it was freezing at nights. Apart from Xunta and parochial albergues, many had blankets available. Some I was not sure about using but most were OK. I would say a sleeping bag would be sensible. A light weight one with a liner. If the weather is great you can leave it behind somewhere, if not so good, you will be sorry you did not bring it

I'll be walking into November so I've looked thru numerous posts here and settled on down quilt/sleeping liner (permethrin treated at home). Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!

My daughter and I will also be leaving from SJPDP on Oct. 2nd. She is walking for 2 weeks and I am walking longer. We are bringing sleeping bags. See you there!

Hello!

I would at the very least bring a sleeping bag liner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes, you may want to sleep in the open, it give sooo much freedom!
You may happen to be in a beautiful place, why hurry to go to the next alberghe? In short, for this reason I take a sleeping bag and an air mattress.

Hello!

Find a good friend that has a double sleeping bag they are carrying or come prepared.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My daughter and I will also be leaving from SJPDP on Oct. 2nd. She is walking for 2 weeks and I am walking longer. We are bringing sleeping bags. See you there!
Likewise, I'm leaving SJPP on 2nd October, see you on the road!

CF three times. I only bring a silk liner but also have thermal top and leggings (Canadian!!) and this has been more than enough through Sept & a couple of weeks into October. I really like having dual-purpose items! Buen Camino

I usually read all of the responses before I add my own two cents, since I know it is frustrating to see people saying the same thing that others have said already. But in this case, I am pretty sure I will disagree with all of the advice. Whether to bring a sleeping bag or not depends only on you and your own body temperature. If you are the person who always brings a sweater in the summer so as not to freeze in air conditioning, you will have a different reaction than if you are the big guy with plenty of padding. I fall into the first category, and have never regretted walking a camino, spring, summer or fall, with a sleeping bag. I also carry lambswool gloves (lighter than a pair of socks) because walking for 8 hours in a cold rain would otherwise leave me with hands that won’t function. (And no, in case you are wondering, putting a pair of smartwool socks on your hands in the rain does not provide the same insulation as lambswool).

https://www.glamour.com/story/theres-a-scientific-reason-women-are-always-colder-than-men

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The original poster asked this question in September and was going on CF in October so I assume they know the answer now.
But for others who may need this info... i f you are stoppin* in Orisson after leaving SJPdP it can be quite cool..at night! We had a gorgeous warm day...temps in high seventies when we got to Orisson...but by the time 10pm came all of us were snuggled in our sleeping bags. If you do not want to schlepp your things, including a sleeping bag...send it on ahead. But I would not recommend being in Orisson without one.
If you are staying in hotels or pensions they will have blankets.

Last edited:
I'm with @peregrina2000 - even in July I have occasionally needed my sleeping bag (a quilt). But I particularly recommend taking gloves. My merino/possum ones take up no space and are super-light. Absolutely lovely on a cold morning. One of those items that always gives me a thrill of pleasure to use.

I'm with @peregrina2000 - even in July I have occasionally needed my sleeping bag (a quilt). But I particularly recommend taking gloves. My merino/possum ones take up no space and are super-light. Absolutely lovely on a cold morning. One of those items that always gives me a thrill of pleasure to use.

I second the gloves! I use silk gloves on cool mornings. They also help prevent blisters as I use my hands on the grips.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.