• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag advice

BenedicteOR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September-October 2013
Hi,

I'm leaving for my first camino this Thursday and just realised I have a problem with my sleeping bag.

I had been planning to bring a sleeping bag that is quite large and weighs 1.3-1.5 kilos. I know this is annoyingly large and heavy but I didn't want to buy another if it wasn't necessary.

However, I've just done my first trial pack and I've realised that I can't attach the sleeping bag to the outside of my pack as it has no loops etc as other sleeping bags often do, and it is too large to fit in the pack.

Should I buy a new sleeping bag? There are cheap bags weighing 700 grams and suitable for 15 degrees centigrade that I can buy. Alternatively I could sew a loop or some rope to my current sleeping bag and attach it like that.

I should add part of the reason I am unwilling to give up my current bag is it was a gift given to me specifically for the camino, and I would therefore feel terrible not using it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are in the U.S. consider REI's sleep sack for $50.00 - it weighs 1.5 pounds and packs down pretty small.

You should be able to get a 5degC semi-rectangular bag which weighs around 800gm or so (around 1kg with its stuff pack and a liner). Mummy bags are going to weigh less, but I find it difficult sleeping in them. I found 5degC sufficient. I think a 15degC bag would have been less comfortable when I walked in Apr. Pilgrims with bags rated at that temperature were not always comfortable, and some admitted to being positively uncomfortable, and not getting a good sleep at all.

Some forum members will advise that you can do most Camino routes relying completely on blankets provided by the albergues. My view is that this limits your choices, and there a number of places where I stayed where having the sleeping bag made that possible when I walked. It meant that I didn't have to worry about whether or not blankets were available before deciding where to stay.

The fact that a gift is inappropriate for what you are planning to do should not create a moral obligation on you. If it's too late to discuss whether or not they could negotiate an exchange for a more suitable bag, let them know that while you appreciate their gift, but you had this dilemma and had to choose a different bag.

Regards,

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.