• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag Advice

JasoFett

Time of past OR future Camino
4/23/2016 - 5/30/2016
Hello everyone!

I am planning on going on the Camino the last week of April through May. What temperature sleeping bag do you suggest I take? I want to pack as lightweight as possible of course, and was wonder if a 55F would be heavy enough?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not sure if this will help you but it is an option http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/filler-down-sleeping-bag
I use this as part of my sleep system. I also use a 20f quilt paired or individually depending on temps and whether I'm camping. I plan on doing the GR11 after my Camino's.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For many years I carried a Marmot pounder plus. I don't know if they make them anymore.
Now I use a down blanket I made from a down sleeping bag.
I cut off the hood and zipper.

What temperature sleeping bag do you suggest I take?

I will start from Le Puy early April.

I have a 5C/40F bag. If it gets too cold some nights I will put another layer of clothes, not forgetting the feet.

I want to pack as lightweight as possible

I am an ultra-lightweight freak. My research took me to zPacks. My 5C/40F bag ways around 330 grams.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A bag rated for 55F would work just fine. Just make sure it's the lightest, most compact one you can afford.
There are several different ones out there. Mine is a North Face Aleutian 1S. It's a great little bag. As lightweight as some of the liners out there.

Just make sure it's the lightest, most compact one you can afford.
There are several different ones out there. Mine is a North Face Aleutian 1S. It's a great little bag. As lightweight as some of the liners out there.

North Face don't seem to stock an Aleutian 1S currently.

The model closest to @JasoFett current requirement seems to be an Aleuitian 50(F?) / 10(C?). It weighs 760 grams. There are some much much lighter than this, if weight is important to you. And if you go down the temperature range you tend to go up in weight.

North Face don't seem to stock an Aleutian 1S currently.

The model closest to @JasoFett current requirement seems to be an Aleuitian 50(F?) / 10(C?). It weighs 760 grams. There are some much much lighter than this, if weight is important to you. And if you go down the temperature range you tend to go up in weight.
Yeah, the 1S weighs about 737 grams. When I bought it, it was on sale 1/2 price as a discontinued model. It was the lightest bag I found at a reasonable price. Some of the ultra-lightweight ones have an ultra-expensive price tag. No way would I ever spend over $100.00 on a sleeping bag for walking across Spain. Rather save that money for beer and food on the Camino. :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For many years I carried a Marmot pounder plus. I don't know if they make them anymore.
Now I use a down blanket I made from a down sleeping bag.
I cut off the hood and zipper.
They sell the NanoWave 45 and 50. Both under a hundred dollars and both weigh less than two pounds. Look like good bags for the price.

I agree with Mark Lee, for a Camino a bag of 800g or less with a 3/4 zip, ( can be used as a quilt) is best. You do not need an expensive bag.

I'll be walking just a bit earlier than you and have tried a few bags. I've settled on a Marmot NanoWave 50 SR long (10C rating), with a silk liner and fleece top for sleeping. In this, I am comfortable. I'm of average height, but found that, with the long bag, I could snuggle in just a bit more to escape the chill. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just tried an experiment at home. When I went to bed I set the temperature to 65 degrees F (a little over 18 degrees C. I tried sleeping with just sheets, and was too cold to sleep. I switched to my very lightweight sleeping bag and was comfortable. SO, I know what I need to do. I am carrying the bare minimum in my backpack, but really need my sleeping bag.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.