• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag alternative ?

hampshire!tim

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013), Ingles (2014), Finisterre (2015)
This may be a mad question.
Try not to laugh, at least not when I can see
Is there an alternative to sleeping bag which works in terms of comfort and warmth?
For outdoor sleeping in tent.

Can't explain it but I don't like 'em.
Maybe I'm claustrophobic, maybe it's the volume and the packing, maybe a sense of vulnerability when "trapped" inside.

I've seen the "one-sie" musac bag, but it seems large and bit heavy. And I don't want to look like a telly tubby !

Is a good down or similar jacket and trousers ineffective for warmth?

Tim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done a lot of camping, and a jacket and trousers would have been quite uncomfortable for most nights outdoors. However, it is certainly up to your comfort level. Try it before you commit to an entire camino outdoors in a jacket and pants.

I've camped in just a down jacket and thermal trousers. It's doable but harder to regulate heat. Sleeping bag you can stick your arms out, etc to keep comfortable. With clothing it's either on or off. It can also feel pretty manky in the morning to spend the night in your clothes.

I dont like sleeping bags either, I usually use it more as a quilt on a sleep mat.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This may be a mad question.
Try not to laugh, at least not when I can see
Is there an alternative to sleeping bag which works in terms of comfort and warmth?
For outdoor sleeping in tent.

Can't explain it but I don't like 'em.
Maybe I'm claustrophobic, maybe it's the volume and the packing, maybe a sense of vulnerability when "trapped" inside.

I've seen the "one-sie" musac bag, but it seems large and bit heavy. And I don't want to look like a telly tubby !

Tim

I purchased my first ever sleeping bag for my camino Frances last year and hated the restrictions of the mummy shape bag. This year, for my forthcoming camino Portuguese, I have ordered a "Mont-Bell spiral down hugger thermal sheet" which is a tapered bag that can be unzipped to make a comforter - http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...l-spiral-down-hugger-thermal-sheet-p1143#6950 - at a price I am most uncomfortable with, but I am hoping the better sleep I get will make the investment worthwhile. It hasn't arrived yet, and I am a bit concerned that it might not be warm enough with a rating of 10 degrees C.

I have no idea if it will be any good for camping, they do produce a sleeping bag for lower temperatures which are supposed to be more comfortable than a normal bag, but at a much higher price.

As you can tell, I know nothing about sleeping bags, I am just hoping for some better quality sleeps this year.

Last edited:
I LOVE my Montbell down sheet Magwood!!! (coupled with a silk liner with built in pillow case by Sea to Summit). The system was perfect for me, and super light. Worth the expense!

Have you considered a half bag? It's basically a sleeping bag which goes up to your waist then you just wear your warm kit for the top half. Plus it means there's no cold warm kit to don first thing when making your brew.

Alternatively lots of squared off sleeping bags (as opposed to mummies) have L zips. This allows them to be unzipped fully on two sides and turned into a blanket. With a decent square liner and sleeping mat this can be a nice alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it is worth it to buy a down sleeping bag with a full length zipper, even though the full length zipper adds a little weight. Most nights I use the bag fully unzipped, so it is essentially a comforter. If it gets really cold, I'll zip it up for warmth.

I think it is worth it to buy a down sleeping bag with a full length zipper, even though the full length zipper adds a little weight. Most nights I use the bag fully unzipped, so it is essentially a comforter. If it gets really cold, I'll zip it up for warmth.
You'll have to make sure it's a full zip all the way to the bottom otherwise you still end up with the toe box and a kite shaped duvet. Test a variety out in a shop, trying on sleeping bags gets some odd looks but how else do you know how they'll fit.

I'm waiting on a Rab Explorer 300 bag which is 600 down fill with full L zip. May be a little warm for the camino but will also be using in UK. If you look into them be warned the lighter and cooler 150 was a demo piece only...but for some reason still shown on Rabs website.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I LOVE my Montbell down sheet Magwood!!! (coupled with a silk liner with built in pillow case by Sea to Summit). The system was perfect for me, and super light. Worth the expense!

Thanks for that Phillypilgrim, so good to have some experienced feedback. I already feel more comfortable about my investment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all
Will research
Have seen some mention of quilt-type devices, but an unzipped sleeping bag seems to have the advantage of being used zipped when absolutely needed.

I also can't sleep a sleeping bag, I bought last year a butterball bag which I find much better as i'm a bit of wriggler and sleep with my right leg straight and my left leg pulled up to my chest(strange I know but if I slept on my back my snoring would annoy a few people) and also I a bit feel trapped in a mummy bag, this way I can unzip it and use it as blanket.

The Snugpak Jungle bag unzips down one side and across the bottom, so it can be used like a quilt. It might not be warm enough depending on when you're planning on camping, but would surely be warmer and more comfortable than sleeping in your clothes. Snugpak also produce a Jungle blanket, which is pretty much the same thing, but without the zips.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am using a Snugpak Travelpak Traveller (USA consumer equivalent of the Junglepak) on the Camino Frances now. I would use it again.

Most of the albergues have been heated. The coldest night (minimal heat, about 53F) I slept in a wool base layer (bottom and top), a fleece top. Most nights a tech shirt and tech boxers suffice. I always sleep with a wool beanie to regulate my body temperature (while sleeping and walking, pulled down over my eyes when sleeping in a lighted room, and over my ears to retain my earplugs.

At 6'3" and 190 pounds, I find the rectangular shape (not constricted at waist or feet) comfortable.

The bag insulation does not add much cushion; consequently, the night I relocated to the kitchen table at 2 am to escape a snorer (not just any snorer) in the next bunk, I slept but was a bit sore in the morning -- ha!

Please pardon typos; I am using an iPhone.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.