• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag and Liner

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Good Morning All

As I continue to buy the required articles for my camino in Sept/Oct, I have a question regarding sleeping bag liners. I have been looking at a light weight sleeping bag 760g, do the experts feel that I'll also need a liner, if so what type?

The other question that comes to mind, I have continued with my training and noticed that my right foot heel is wearing through the marino wool socks, right foot is the smaller of the two.
Will I be able to renew socks on the journey?

Apart from that I think I'm on track.

TIA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Usually sleeping bag liners are taken instead of sleeping bags as most albuergues have blankets (except Roncevalles) and heat. The liners are lighter to carry. If you have decided to carry a sleeping bag anyway, there is no need to carry a liner. With a sleeping bag, the liner: 1) extends the bag's comfort range (i.e., makes it warmer); 2) keeps your bag cleaner. The latter is important for backpackers who do not have access to showers and who are trying to keep the oils in their skin from degrading the insulating values of their down bags. None of that applies to you.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hi, your light weight sleeping bag will be perfect for Sep/Oct; you don’t need a liner as well. On the camino I like to take a light non-down sleeping bag that can be thrown into a washing machine quite easily, if necessary. Socks can be bought along the way, but possibly not the ones you particularly want, e.g. non-seam hikers’ socks, or special merino socks, except in very large towns. Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just buy a couple of pairs of new socks just before you start walking the Camino. Doubt that you will wear out a pair of socks walking one CF. It's not really that hard on equipment.

The liner was one of the things I ditched in Pamplona. The sleeping bag was plenty. Also mailed ahead 2 pairs of socks that were overkill. Ended up buying another pair along the way after forgetting mine in an albergue. No problem!

The liner was one of the things I ditched in Pamplona. The sleeping bag was plenty. Also mailed ahead 2 pairs of socks that were overkill. Ended up buying another pair along the way after forgetting mine in an albergue. No problem!
you mailed ahead socks?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Pilgrims.

Liner ditched, as for the socks I'll take potluck and carry 3 pairs and see how we go.

Before you do, you might want to read some of the more extensive discussion of why one might take a liner here.[/QUOTE]

dougfitz

Thanks for the link, some very interesting comments on bags and liners. I know the silk liner would be a lot lighter than a bag, and if I got cold I could always put on my vey lightweight thermals.
I guess in the big scheme of things, deciding which piece of kit to take is minor, now I'll have to rethink.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Waka, I might be a bit old fashioned here, but I always use a liner if I am using a bag, but I am happy to just use the liner. The material is not particularly relevant, just that it is easier to clean a liner regularly, but not so easy to clean a bag. Mind you, I think there were some pilgrims when I walked the CF that did neither!

@Mark, Yeah I mailed 2 pairs of socks and only carried 2 pairs--one to wear, one to have in case...and so I'd have socks if yesterday's pair hadn't dried by morning. It was plenty.

I'm also going Sept/Oct and have compromised a bit; I purchased an 'IntrepidTraveler'; a cross between a liner and a sleeping bag. It's quilted nylon & polyester in the shape of a sleeping bag but super light.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm also going Sept/Oct and have compromised a bit; I purchased an 'IntrepidTraveler'; a cross between a liner and a sleeping bag. It's quilted nylon & polyester in the shape of a sleeping bag but super light.

Maggie

Been looking on the net but can't find anything about the "IntrepidTraveler". It sounds good, do you have a link?

Maggie

Been looking on the net but can't find anything about the "IntrepidTraveler". It sounds good, do you have a link?
I purchased it at Mountain Equipment Coop here in Victoria. I'll call and see if I can get more specifics for you….

Maggie

Go on line to Mountain Equipment Coop, sleeping bags, Intrepid Traveler #5034-985. It weighs 710 grams. BUT I believe you need to be a member to purchase.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go on line to Mountain Equipment Coop, sleeping bags, Intrepid Traveler #5034-985. It weighs 710 grams. BUT I believe you need to be a member to purchase.

Thanks Maggie, I'll have a look and see if there is something similar in the UK. I'm still a bit up in the air regarding sleeping system, the good thing is I have plenty of time to decide. IOnce again thanks for the info.

Cher99840

I have been looking at silk liners, the weight comes in at 139g, would make a great difference to the weight of the pack.
I have looked through many threads of liners versus sleeping bags for Sept/Oct. I guess if I go for the liner then find I'm cold, I can always put some clothes on.

Cher99840

I have been looking at silk liners, the weight comes in at 139g, would make a great difference to the weight of the pack.
I have looked through many threads of liners versus sleeping bags for Sept/Oct. I guess if I go for the liner then find I'm cold, I can always put some clothes on.
The first liner I purchased was silk. When I gear-tested I knew I couldn't sleep in it. First it was mummy shaped which I find too confining for me. Second, it "stuck" to my body and when I rolled over (I do a lot of that) it bound me tighter and tighter, truly like a mummy. Silk liners are very popular so apparently they work for a lot of people, but not for me. I'm just glad that I tried it out before I left home and was delighted when I found the rectangular liner with the omni-heat lining that allowed me to roll around freely within.

Cher99840

I'm also not a lover of "mummy" style bags or liners, the silk liners I've been looking at are rectangle. I n my searchers I've found that all the lightweight sleeping bags are of the "mummy" style, with the rectangle type weighing a fair bit more.
It's true what they say about the planning being exciting.

I'm going in Sept-Oct too, and now I wonder if I'm making the best decision. I don't like mummy bags. I've decided (for now) on a light-weight sleeping bag, rectangular, that zips all round, so I can throw it off if I get too warm. It's 880 grams. Am I going to regret this decision? Oh dear, what to do?

I walked in May of 2013 on the CF and FROZE. It was a horendous year. And no matter what clothes I wore to make up for the fact that I had chosen, once again, to only bring my liner, I was cold. Cold, cold all them time, all night long, which meant no rest at night. So last fall I brought a 700 g. sleeping bag. And sure enough, the weather was glorious, even hot. But the sleeping bag always worked for me, as a bag or just a blanket depending on the temperature and the albergue. From now on, unless in July, the sleeping bag is coming with me - I even bought it a new backpack to carry it in ;0)

No matter what the weather long term forecast, it is still an unknown, so going reasonably prepared only makes sense….I think I will be fine with this Intrepid Traveler lightweight 'sleeper'

I'm planning to take sleeping & silk liner for my Camino next week. Sleeping bag is 650g and liner is 93g. Both are standard rectangle shapes.

I think if I were to leave one it would be the sleeping bag and not the liner. For me it's not an essential item but one of comfort/luxury (I prefer something a bit thicker covering me when sleeping).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, I'm going in July/August this year. Planning to take a lightweight rectangular sleeping bag - unzips to make a blanket - and a silk liner as well. The silk liner is only 150g; plan to use it most nights as I read somewhere that bedbugs don't like silk! Does anyone know if this is actually true?

I'm planning to take sleeping & silk liner for my Camino next week. Sleeping bag is 650g and liner is 93g. Both are standard rectangle shapes.

I think if I were to leave one it would be the sleeping bag and not the liner. For me it's not an essential item but one of comfort/luxury (I prefer something a bit thicker covering me when sleeping).
Sounds good. I may end up getting a liner, even with this very lightweight bag; Oct could be iffy weather….best of luck Buen Camino

Hello, I'm going in July/August this year. Planning to take a lightweight rectangular sleeping bag - unzips to make a blanket - and a silk liner as well. The silk liner is only 150g; plan to use it most nights as I read somewhere that bedbugs don't like silk! Does anyone know if this is actually true?

My Intrepid does the same with the zipper. Sometimes it's not about the warmth of the bag (July/Aug)but comfort and keeping those bed critters at bay as best you can….Buen Camino

I decided to get one of these on your recommendation. It sounds perfect, lighter than the bag I have. The $5 membership fee seemed worth it. Hope I like it!!

I hope you like it as well. We'll not know for sure until we actually use it. For me, it's about weight and it does look pretty comfy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope you like it as well. We'll not know for sure until we actually use it. For me, it's about weight and it does look pretty comfy.
Maggie, what are you taking for
rain gear, the other question I go back and forth on. I'm going in Sept -Oct and think you are too?

I'm definitely taking a poncho (which I haven't purchased yet); one that covers me and my pack, even though my backpack has a cover of its own, it wouldn't be enough in a downpour.

I'm definitely taking a poncho (which I haven't purchased yet); one that covers me and my pack, even though my backpack has a cover of its own, it wouldn't be enough in a downpour.
Are you taking rain pants too? I have a wonderful waterproof jacket that my son has loaned me, which will be my outer layer too, and rain pants, and a pack cover. But an acquaintance who walked the Camino last year has loaned me a poncho that cover everything, with sleeves and extra space in back for the pack. But I think taking all that is too much. Don't know what to do. I'll need a jacket even if I take the poncho.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Intrepidtraveler bag arrived today and I love it! I love the fact that it's so lightweight, and also I love the texture of the inside. I think it will feel more like a sheet than most sleeping bags do. And I believe that it will be warm enough, since one can usually bottom a blanket at an albergue. I'm always warm at night and can't imagine being too cold. This is the third sleeping bag I've tried, as well as a travel sheet and an insect-repellant liner, all returned now, except for this one. Thanks again for the suggestion.

My Intrepidtraveler bag arrived today and I love it! I love the fact that it's so lightweight, and also I love the texture of the inside. I think it will feel more like a sheet than most sleeping bags do. And I believe that it will be warm enough, since one can usually bottom a blanket at an albergue. I'm always warm at night and can't imagine being too cold. This is the third sleeping bag I've tried, as well as a travel sheet and an insect-repellant liner, all returned now, except for this one. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm quite relieved to hear that. You never know when you recommend something…I certainly do like mine; I still have four months before leaving.
Buen Camino…...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At the very last minute I have taken my sleeping bag with me! I'll let you know if I need it or if it becomes an unnecessary burden on my Camino!

I'm sure I'll make it useful at least...

At the very last minute I have taken my sleeping bag with me! I'll let you know if I need it or if it becomes an unnecessary burden on my Camino!

Thanks Roddy, look forward to your comments.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

So, how did this work out?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back