• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag and/or liner in October on the CF?

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

I've used the search already, but didn't really find an answer to my question. I'm yet quite undecided if a liner will be warm enough or to add a sleeping bag - which I'd have to buy, since my old one is too big and too heavy. I'll be starting in September, taking time, I'll probably arrive in SdC in mid/late-October, going on to Finisterra and might leave at the beginning of November back home.

So far I bought a silk liner and I usually don't like it to be too warm in bed, so I might get along with that without freezing during nights. I figured, if it gets too cold I could still buy a sleeping bag in Spain in one of the bigger spots that are going to be passed when walking - like Burgos, Leon or Ponferrada. Does anyone know whether it is easy to find an outdoor store there, to get a sleeping bag? How much does an average sleeping bag costs in Spain?

Or would it be a better idea, as a compromise, to take an ultra-light quilt with me, just in case? Any other suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started with just a liner last September but after a few cold nights sleeping in my clothes I bought a sleeping bag on the way. Most nights you don't need as you will get blankets or the alburge is warm. But quite a few albergues such as roncesvalles do not have blankets. Easy to buy in Spain if you prefer to wait and see, even the smaller towns have walking gear because of the numbers of walkers.
I am bringing a summer lightweight sleeping bag for my walk starting late August

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walk in the fall, Sept/October and have found by experience that it gets very cold at night by end of Sept and into October. I'm generally hot stuff too, so use a silk liner when it's warm and have a super lightweight down blanket when it gets cooler. Not all albergue's have blankets as some may insist. What they really are saying is all of the alburgues THEY stayed at had blankets. In some cases the blankets available have not been washed, ever. If you plan to stay in private, more expensive accommodations or hotels you won't need anything warmer as most will provide blankets. Especially in Galicia, it rained the entire time we walked and we were damp and cold. There were heaters, but non of them were turned on, not even when requested. Better to be safe than sorry :) Walk with joy !

We have 45 degree sleeping bags that open to a blanket. Starting CF mid September to end October.

Hi,

I've used the search already, but didn't really find an answer to my question. I'm yet quite undecided if a liner will be warm enough or to add a sleeping bag - which I'd have to buy, since my old one is too big and too heavy. I'll be starting in September, taking time, I'll probably arrive in SdC in mid/late-October, going on to Finisterra and might leave at the beginning of November back home.

So far I bought a silk liner and I usually don't like it to be too warm in bed, so I might get along with that without freezing during nights. I figured, if it gets too cold I could still buy a sleeping bag in Spain in one of the bigger spots that are going to be passed when walking - like Burgos, Leon or Ponferrada. Does anyone know whether it is easy to find an outdoor store there, to get a sleeping bag? How much does an average sleeping bag costs in Spain?

Or would it be a better idea, as a compromise, to take an ultra-light quilt with me, just in case? Any other suggestions?

Hi, sugargypsy . . .
I will be on Camino during that same time period. I will be taking a backpacking quilt from Enlightened Equipment. The 40f/4.4c quilt weighs just under 11 ounces, and compacts down to the size of a large grapefruit.

My advice is to take a sleeping quilt with a 40 - 45 f temp rating. The insulation that is underneath you in a sleeping bag is squashed, providing no heat retention at all, so why carry that useless extra weight of both the material and insulation? And remember, if the quilt is not quite enough to keep you warm, then you can add your fleece or puffy or vest or ..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I vacillated over the liner vs sleeping bag debate and finally opted for a light weight down bag, good for temps down to 45 degrees, just enough to deal with the transitioning fall weather. I started in SJPP on Sept 19th and completed my journey on November 4th and experienced all four seasons, so glad I had it.

Hi, sugargypsy . . .
I will be on Camino during that same time period. I will be taking a backpacking quilt from Enlightened Equipment. The 40f/4.4c quilt weighs just under 11 ounces, and compacts down to the size of a large grapefruit.

My advice is to take a sleeping quilt with a 40 - 45 f temp rating. The insulation that is underneath you in a sleeping bag is squashed, providing no heat retention at all, so why carry that useless extra weight of both the material and insulation? And remember, if the quilt is not quite enough to keep you warm, then you can add your fleece or puffy or vest or ..... :)
The enlightened quilts are amazing. Not cheap though! I have a 20° one I use for hiking. I generally sleep hot so I like that I can kick out of it to cool off and re-cover myself when needed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The enlightened quilts are amazing. Not cheap though! I have a 20° one I use for hiking. I generally sleep hot so I like that I can kick out of it to cool off and re-cover myself when needed.

:) Yeah, I have their -10f, +10f, +30f, and +45f models; no, they are not cheap, but they are extremely well constructed and durable, and the materials they use are the best materials available today. This makes a difference when they are used, as with any ultralight or lightweight equipment, for many trips over many years. I tend to price my gear by how much it costs per mile of hiking; when I do that, then it makes the sting of the initial price much better to lie with :)

When one examines the overall use of a product and the expected wear and tear it will receive, I abide by the saying "Buy the best and cry only once." Meaning that I try and avoid purchasing an item to try and just get me by and then ending up with something that falls apart or is otherwise insufficient. In the end, having to replace that item with what I should have bought in the first place, makes the overall cost much higher.

Another aspect to consider that I consider is making a choice of an item based on allowing maximum enjoyment. For instance, if I have to carry a pack on my back, and I will be doing so for hundreds or thousands of miles, then I want the contents of my pack to be as light as possible so I am as comfortable as possible, reduce my risk of injury or strain, and can maintain as much of my energy as possible.

If the cheaper item doesn't function well for its intended purpose, like a poor quality poncho or rain jacket or sleeping kit, then I am having to deal with a decreased quality of experience because I am not protected well, or I am not getting a good quality sleep at night. If my choice of gear or clothing will increase the potential of having to seek medical care, or to add recovery days, or to abandon my journey, then the overall cost of my cheap gear is not very cheap at all.

So, I will buy the best to cover my intended uses. And since I do extensive backpacking besides Camino, the cost of my gear will reflect that. For a one time Camino pilgrim who will never do any backpacking or other pilgrimages, then compromises on a piece of gear or clothing between weight, durability, and cost will become a balancing act to get the best bang for the buck. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be walking in Oct and early Nov. and are bringing lite down quilts ..abt 5 ounces as well as a silk sleeping sack. We stay in a combination of private albergues, hostels and pensions and usually have a private room where one normally has heat for most of the night! That does not always happen, even in private accommodations!! Before starting our Camino, the sleeping items are permethrined to help protect us from possible “Besuchers” or unwanted critters. No matter what bed I sleep in, I use the sleeping sack and the quilt. Some of the blankets on the beds used are heavy, some stained even made of itchy material and wake me up when I turn as where the light down quilt is so comfy.

:) Yeah, I have their -10f, +10f, +30f, and +45f models; no, they are not cheap, but they are extremely well constructed and durable, and the materials they use are the best materials available today. This makes a difference when they are used, as with any ultralight or lightweight equipment, for many trips over many years. I tend to price my gear by how much it costs per mile of hiking; when I do that, then it makes the sting of the initial price much better to lie with :)

When one examines the overall use of a product and the expected wear and tear it will receive, I abide by the saying "Buy the best and cry only once." Meaning that I try and avoid purchasing an item to try and just get me by and then ending up with something that falls apart or is otherwise insufficient. In the end, having to replace that item with what I should have bought in the first place, makes the overall cost much higher.

Another aspect to consider that I consider is making a choice of an item based on allowing maximum enjoyment. For instance, if I have to carry a pack on my back, and I will be doing so for hundreds or thousands of miles, then I want the contents of my pack to be as light as possible so I am as comfortable as possible, reduce my risk of injury or strain, and can maintain as much of my energy as possible.

If the cheaper item doesn't function well for its intended purpose, like a poor quality poncho or rain jacket or sleeping kit, then I am having to deal with a decreased quality of experience because I am not protected well, or I am not getting a good quality sleep at night. If my choice of gear or clothing will increase the potential of having to seek medical care, or to add recovery days, or to abandon my journey, then the overall cost of my cheap gear is not very cheap at all.

So, I will buy the best to cover my intended uses. And since I do extensive backpacking besides Camino, the cost of my gear will reflect that. For a one time Camino pilgrim who will never do any backpacking or other pilgrimages, then compromises on a piece of gear or clothing between weight, durability, and cost will become a balancing act to get the best bang for the buck. :)
Agreed on all counts. I’m somewhat jealous of your Elightened Equipment Collector’s Edition quilt set though! What pack do you use on the Camino? I’m looking for a new one in the 35 litre range and there is a ton of choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agreed on all counts. I’m somewhat jealous of your Elightened Equipment Collector’s Edition quilt set though! What pack do you use on the Camino? I’m looking for a new one in the 35 litre range and there is a ton of choice.

:) The 'collection' covers all-season backpacking.

I use the Gossamer Gear Mariposa, the same I used to thru-hike the Colorado Trail. Mine weighs just under 2 pounds, which helps keep my total Camino pack weight at around 8.75 pounds.

:) The 'collection' covers all-season backpacking.

I use the Gossamer Gear Mariposa, the same I used to thru-hike the Colorado Trail. Mine weighs just under 2 pounds, which helps keep my total Camino pack weight at around 8.75 pounds.

Thannks! I was looking at those. I just replaced my 60 litre pack with a Granite Gear Crown 2 which comes in at just on 2.2 lbs or 1 kg but don't want to bring something with that much capacity or I might fill it.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now ;)

Thannks! I was looking at those. I just replaced my 60 litre pack with a Granite Gear Crown 2 which comes in at just on 2.2 lbs or 1 kg but don't want to bring something with that much capacity or I might fill it.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now ;)

:D Nah, you won't fill it. Just stick to your gear list and ignore the 'what ifs'. Use the Crown 2, it is a good pack, and it will keep money in your pocket for Camino travel. My Mariposa has a 40 liter main bag, and all of my Camino gear takes up less than half the space. What's nice is that I don't have to worry about being overly organized to fit stuff into the pack :cool::p. Rather than being tempted to fill the space, I keep looking at ways to remove stuff :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:D Nah, you won't fill it. Just stick to your gear list and ignore the 'what ifs'. Use the Crown 2, it is a good pack, and it will keep money in your pocket for Camino travel. My Mariposa has a 40 liter main bag, and all of my Camino gear takes up less than half the space. What's nice is that I don't have to worry about being overly organized to fit stuff into the pack :cool::p. Rather than being tempted to fill the space, I keep looking at ways to remove stuff :)

Ok, one more hijack Do you have your gear list somewhere? You’ve got yours trimmed down further than I do and I’ve got the Ultralight Envies

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.