• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag April/May

momof34man

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Camino Frances, 2018 Cotswolds
I am trying to figure out the sleeping bag situation for the camino. I bought a sleep sack and did a trial run by sleeping in my house. I used a silk liner inside the sleep sack....I was freezing. I tested the sack in October and it was much warmer in my house back then than it is now. I returned the sleep sack to REI and got a new sleeping bag. This time I got a Marmot Maverick 30. It is supposed to be warmer, but it is really bulky even with the compession bag. I have a hard time sleeping in a cocoon type bag since I am a side sleeper. Right now, the new bag is STUFFED in the bottom section of my backpack. (Weighs almost 4 pounds though) I CANNOT use a down bag because I am allergic to it. I cannot afford to spend a fortune on a bag either. I am curious if any other "allergic"people have found a decent bag to use in the springtime on the camino.....or if anyone else has used THIS bag on the camino and what their experience was.
http://www.rei.com/product/880179/marmot-mavericks-30-sleeping-bag

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a Hotcore T-100 one year in October and found it warmer than necessary. The next year I took a Hotcore Cooper R-7 which was just right, and also it is rectangular. I bought them in Canada, but I see that at least the T-100 is available on Amazon.com. The Hotcore website is here (and I have no connection!)

I notice you're going in April-June (me too!). Is a sleeping bag necessary then? Due to similar issues you face, I was hoping I could get away without one during the warmer season. Comments/advice please?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think it is. We are starting in France at the end of April and at times they can have snow over the Pyranees. I tend to sleep cold as well. I tested a sleep sack last fall (September) a warmer month than April....and froze. I will be miserable if I am cold. I even bundled up and slept in warmer clothes. I think I am going to return the bag I got even though it works exactly like I want it to. It is just too heavy and bulky. I am going to check out the Cat's Meow which is a pound lighter and it is filled with synthetic instead of down. I'm glad REI takes returns.

Momo, it sounds like your problem isn't the bags but your personal sensitivity to the cold. You will already have noticed, on your bag search, that the same sleeping bags are graded to a different comfort temperature depending on whether the user is male or female - women feel cold much more than men for some reason - but you know all this I should think.

My bag is a Snugpak Jungle bag - 925gms light and compresses small, rectangular, mesh screen keeps bed bugs away, and zips fully open so can be used as a throw - won't be nearly warm enough for you I shouldn't think. I am off again in early March and actually may take only a rectangular silk bag liner - if it is cold and there are no blankets, well, I will just wear everything I have - I tend to sleep warm, I'm more of a heat generator, so for me it isn't a problem - but it is for you ..... so, you are trying bulkier and heavier bags, just to stay warm and it still isn't working?
Have you thought of an alternative? Buy a lightweight travel bag but also take long underwear, warm socks, and a woolly hat so you can dress for bed? It is amazing how wearing a woolly hat in a sleeping bag improves warmth - add warm socks at the other end and perhaps Merino wool long johns ?? It would mean that you would save on space and weight - worth a try?
If you try that at home and it works - do post back on here - there are countless female pilgrims with the same problem as you (and possibly a few males too).

Oh - another thing - make sure your bladder is empty, don't hold it in, get up and go to the loo. I have found that having water in the bladder can lead to one being cold - I have no idea why but assume that the body has limited energy and has to use a lot of it to keep the water in there warm as well, remove the water and it releases that energy to other areas - now, I am assuming this reason, I don't know if it is true - but it does work.

Snugpak jungle bag link for those who want a 2 season bag - http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/jungle-bag

As stated above, it sounds like you're a cold sleeper. So, I'd be taking a 'bag' of some sort. Take a look @ this http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/
You can select the warmth rating you like and it's extremely lite. I have a down version and it is confortable. I can use it as a full-on mummy type bag, or keep it open for warmer times, or just use it as a quilt. It's very versatile. I realize $$ is always a concern. However, there are three critical pieces of gear every hiker needs and should budget for: Footwear, backpack and sleeping bag. Also, EE is highly sought after and you can sell this when you done easily.

Also, your Marmot is HEAVY @ 3lbs14oz. This Prodigy for the same rating is 25 oz

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having the same dilemma, we are walking in May/June and I know I can be a sucker for getting cold. Really don't want a to loft a heavy sleeping bag around with me. Today in go outdoors I stumbled accross this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-fleece-mummy-liner-p143957 and it got me thinking. Im fairly sure it's lighter than a sleeping bag, definitely looks warmer than a a cotton or silk liner. The only problem is it still is a bit large. Got me thinking if I could just bung it in a compression sack. Perhaps this might work for you, maybe combined with another liner?

Just thoughts...

I am trying to figure out the sleeping bag situation for the camino. I bought a sleep sack and did a trial run by sleeping in my house. I used a silk liner inside the sleep sack....I was freezing. I tested the sack in October and it was much warmer in my house back then than it is now. I returned the sleep sack to REI and got a new sleeping bag. This time I got a Marmot Maverick 30. It is supposed to be warmer, but it is really bulky even with the compession bag. I have a hard time sleeping in a cocoon type bag since I am a side sleeper. Right now, the new bag is STUFFED in the bottom section of my backpack. (Weighs almost 4 pounds though) I CANNOT use a down bag because I am allergic to it. I cannot afford to spend a fortune on a bag either. I am curious if any other "allergic"people have found a decent bag to use in the springtime on the camino.....or if anyone else has used THIS bag on the camino and what their experience was.
http://www.rei.com/product/880179/marmot-mavericks-30-sleeping-bag
If its been less than one year, take the bag back to REI and tell them your requirements. There are some very good light weight synthetic sleeping out there. I'm a little claustrophobic and uncomfortable in a mummy bag but still use one because box foot bags weigh a lot more. A stocking cap at night can make a huge difference too. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have no other options in my price range. This is as light as it gets without being too cold since I cannot use down. I am pleased with my choice. I guess that's all that matters, right?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have no other options in my price range. This is as light as it gets without being too cold since I cannot use down. I am pleased with my choice. I guess that's all that matters, right?
I picked up something at Costco for 29$c, so about 20US$ from Double Black Diamond, it weighs a pound. Mind you, it is down now that I think of it. And you are right, being cold is dreadful and will not allow you to recouperate well at night. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.