• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag- Backpack Weight

Interpreter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
My sleeping bag weighs 1 lb 11oz. I want to keep my backpack weight to 12-13 lb, therefore the sleeping bag weight is worrying me. Is there anything lighter and less bulkier I can take instead of the sleeping bag? I plan to walk the Camino Frances in September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If the price doesn't worry you, you could chose a down sleeping bag or, if you are planning to walk during the warmer season and warmth isn't a concern a silk liner. Personally I prefer to take always a >800g summer sleeping bag, but that is just me ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Leave the sleeping bag at home, and just take a liner. You may need to make sure that the albergue you are planning to stay at can provide blankets, or defer to a hostel or hotel on nights that are particularly cold. I wouldn't take this approach myself, but there are clearly many on this forum who have and seem to have survived to tell us about it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Despite blankets that haven't washed in .... Lol, Buen Camino! SY

Despite blankets that haven't washed in .... Lol, Buen Camino! SY
That is why one should always carry a liner - it is some protection against what might have been collecting on the blankets from the bodies of those who have been using them without a sheet or liner.

I prefer my own sleeping bag!

If the price doesn't worry you, you could chose a down sleeping bag or, if you are planning to walk during the warmer season and warmth isn't a concern a silk liner. Personally I prefer to take always a >800g summer sleeping bag, but that is just me ;-) Buen Camino! SY
Mine is an REI Travel down, 41 degree, I believe.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I recently discovered my NEW default sleeping kit. It is an ALPS Mountaineering, rectangular, micro fiber, sleeping bag liner. It measures 76 cm x 203 cm (30 inches by 80 inches) and weighs 450 gm (15.9 oz) in the stuff sack. It has a #5 YKK FULL SEPARATING zipper, so it can open and be used as a blanket or ground cover. Here is the web site:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

I found it on Amazon.com for USD 21.00 (plus or minus).

As I am currently "between Caminos" the best way for me to test this was by sleeping out on one of my balconies (I live in an 8th floor flat). So, I did. It does what microfiber is intended to do. It works. Also, it is machine washable.

There is no insulation, per se, but outside at this time of year, the night temperature is running about 13 - 14 degrees (55 - 58 Fahrenheit). I was not uncomfortable.

This liner is just that, a sleeping bag liner. But for someone who can reliably expect they will have at least an albergue roof over their head each night while on Camino, this might be just the trick.

My biggest problem for three years running was finding a microfiber liner that was large enough for my "stout" frame; 106 Kg and 182 cm; AND which had a zipper that made attending to my frequent night time loo calls easier. I am over 60 and need to go to the toilet about every two hours. Suffice it to say, and bordering on TMI here, I think I found a solution, at least for warm weather Caminos.

Although I think that, at the price these things sell for, I suppose you could nest two inside each other and connect the zips with a twist tie or nylon wire tie so they open together. Otherwise, I would NEVER get where I needed to be fast enough...:eek: OR if the liner were not warm enough you could choose to either use your opened poncho as a top cover, or simply wear clothing to sleep, or both.

Check it out. The liner also comes in a mummy shape that weighs fractionally less. But, for me, the rectangular liner seems to tick all the boxes, and the price is certainly right.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yes, have a look at the list @C clearly referred to. There is a comparison (post#37) of 15 bags under 1 kg. Since i am going ultralight, i ordered the Cumulus 125 magic, 285g, and having it shipped to Sevilla. Without vat, it costs e159.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah, leave the bag at home and buy an inexpensive liner. You can get a 100% silk one on eBay for pretty cheap.
A lot of the albergues do have blankets and I always used them (did not have a sleeping bag on either Camino) and did not catch the cooties. :D
I'm assuming you are bring a cooler weather jacket like a fleece one. If you get a little chilly at night, wear the fleece jacket. You would be surprised how much warmer it makes you feel.
cheers

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.