• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag during this heat?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The product you're showing weighs less than the one I linked to.
Exactly the point. Weight does count.
Do you like this silk travel sheet because it's lighter weight? Or it's cooler? Or do you think silk is a better bug deterrent?
Silk is lighter weight. And quite durable - I'm still using the same liner bag these past six years.
I'm thinking of not bringing a sleeping bag at all.
You'll need to bring a bag, whether an unlined liner or an insulated bag, if you plan to sleep in the alburgues. Elsewhere in Europe, for sleeping in the hiker dorms/hostels, it's the same story. In France, sometimes the private gites offer sheets for rent. And everywhere, if staying in a hotel, sheets are provided.

Exactly the point. Weight does count.
Silk is lighter weight. And quite durable - I'm still using the same liner bag these past six years.
You'll need to bring a bag, whether an unlined liner or an insulated bag, if you plan to sleep in the alburgues. Elsewhere in Europe, for sleeping in the hiker dorms/hostels, it's the same story. In France, sometimes the private gites offer sheets for rent. And everywhere, if staying in a hotel, sheets are provided.

I'm trying to fine out the indoor temperature of the albergues in August and September, so I know whether to bring only the bug liner, or the whole sleeping bag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm trying to fine out the indoor temperature of the albergues in August and September, so I know whether to bring only the bug liner, or the whole sleeping bag.
There are hundreds of albergues with different insulation qualities, several climates and unknown weather, so the temperatures will vary. I would expect the indoor temperatures to be similar to the outside temperatures, and you can find averages and ranges for that.

Many people seem to be happy with a liner at that time of year, and you can always layer on your clothes inside. Personally I probably would take a light sleeping bag.

I just completed the Camino Frances, walking in July and August. I used a silk liner, and this very lightweight down throw blanket from Montbell that I tuck inside the silk liner when it's cooler. I did need it several nights, even in July and August. It also makes a good layer to put between the silk liner and the vinyl covered mattresses that many albergues have when it's a hot, sticky night. Yes, many albergues have blankets, but many are of a dubious quality, which is why I prefer my own.
You could also buy the much less expensive down blanket that Costco carries, and cut it down to a smaller size. That's what I did for a friend. I first sewed two lines of stitches about a quarter of an inch apart, and cut between the lines to keep the down contained. I finished the raw edge with a folded piece of ribbon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are hundreds of albergues with different insulation qualities, several climates and unknown weather, so the temperatures will vary. I would expect the indoor temperatures to be similar to the outside temperatures, and you can find averages and ranges for that.

Many people seem to be happy with a liner at that time of year, and you can always layer on your clothes inside. Personally I probably would take a light sleeping bag.

In general, these albergues are not air conditioned, and not heated, either?

Sorry if my questions sound dumb.

In general, these albergues are not air conditioned, and not heated, either?
I can't remember any air conditioned albergues - definitely not the norm. Most have some form of heating in winter but it may not be up to the temperatures you would maintain at home. I have slept in a public albergue in Galicia in January where ice formed on the inner surface of the windows and my breath made clouds in the air.... :rolleyes:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In general, albergues are not air conditioned, though I have stayed in a couple of private ones that were. They should all have heat though.

Like Bradypus I too have been very cold in unheated albergues; the coldest ever was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very sound advice from @mspath for winter pilgrims. Sometimes I worry about the fixation so many people have on reducing the weight and bulk of their pack while not taking into account the realities of walking off-season. Not helped by people posting advice whose knee-jerk response to any question about sleeping bags is "just take a silk liner" when their only personal experience was walking the Frances in August :rolleyes:

I just completed the Camino Frances, walking in July and August. I used a silk liner, and this very lightweight down throw blanket from Montbell that I tuck inside the silk liner when it's cooler. I did need it several nights, even in July and August. It also makes a good layer to put between the silk liner and the vinyl covered mattresses that many albergues have when it's a hot, sticky night. Yes, many albergues have blankets, but many are of a dubious quality, which is why I prefer my own.
You could also buy the much less expensive down blanket that Costco carries, and cut it down to a smaller size. That's what I did for a friend. I first sewed two lines of stitches about a quarter of an inch apart, and cut between the lines to keep the down contained. I finished the raw edge with a folded piece of ribbon.
I have never used a silk liner, but always take a cheap quality, lightweight fitted bottom twin sheet from a Dollar store, sprayed with permathrin. It fits perfectly on albergue mattresses and the elastic corners make it simple to use. I also use the pillowcase that comes with the set. They weigh almost nothing and take up very little room in the pack. I always bring my lightweight sleeping bag, too, also sprayed. I've used this combo on three spring Caninos and have been very happy.

How nice of you to help a friend by sewing their blanket to size. I remember now that you are the gal that sews your own Camino dresses. The one you wore in that forum picture a few days ago is very attractive!

I can't remember any air conditioned albergues - definitely not the norm. Most have some form of heating in winter but it may not be up to the temperatures you would maintain at home. I have slept in a public albergue in Galicia in January where ice formed on the inner surface of the windows and my breath made clouds in the air.... :rolleyes:
I've experienced that myself on camping trips...brrr. As peaceful as I'm sure a winter Camino can be, I'll have to pass on that. :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And 550g of weight according to the website ... Buen Camino, SY
My silk liner/down blanket combo weighs less than 400 grams
I have never used a silk liner, but always take a cheap quality, lightweight fitted bottom twin sheet from a Dollar store, sprayed with permathrin. It fits perfectly on albergue mattresses and the elastic corners make it simple to use. I also use the pillowcase that comes with the set. They weigh almost nothing and take up very little room in the pack. I always bring my lightweight sleeping bag, too, also sprayed. I've used this combo on three spring Caninos and have been very happy.

How nice of you to help a friend by sewing their blanket to size. I remember now that you are the gal that sews your own Camino dresses. The one you wore in that forum picture a few days ago is very attractive!
I Like the idea of a fitted bottom sheet, perhaps a silk one like @Kanga mentioned, paired with a light down blanket, because sometimes I do get kind of twisted up in the silk liner. It would have to be bigger than my tiny throw blanket though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a large silk sheet (bag liner) and a cut down fleece bag liner. I cut the fleece to fit inside the sheet liner. In the dry sack it weighs 482 gms or 1.1 lbs. (17 ozs).

The silk liner is the size of a twin bed and has a place at the top to put a pillow in.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.