• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag for tall

patata

Time of past OR future Camino
French
Hello everyone,

I'm planning my first Camino starting early March as that is only period of year I could possibly do it. I do not hike, do not camp, so I have to buy full new equipment and from what I read sleeping bag is a must at that time of year, especially with covid around.

I'm 2 meters tall (6'7) and have trouble finding any sleeping bag that wouldn't be too expensive, too heavy and is orderable in EU.

Hope someone can help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SeatoSummit make extra long sleeping bags and sleeping bag liners. They are 235cm long. If you don't want to spend too much you could probably get away with the Thermolite reactor.

My search shows a few European outlets carry the brand.

Hello everyone,

I'm planning my first Camino starting early March as that is only period of year I could possibly do it. I do not hike, do not camp, so I have to buy full new equipment and from what I read sleeping bag is a must at that time of year, especially with covid around.

I'm 2 meters tall (6'7) and have trouble finding any sleeping bag that wouldn't be too expensive, too heavy and is orderable in EU.

Hope someone can help.
You could use a regular rectangle summer sleeping bag and wear loose thermals while you sleep, and maybe carry a light blanket in addition to the sleeping bag. That would save money on equipment and keep the weight down.

Some albergues are quite cold.. most aren't, and many provide blankets. Pensions and private rooms almost always provide bedsheets and blankets.

I had a few bad sleeps due to cold rooms and only wearing boxers to bed... but not sure it would warrant carrying a heavier sleeping bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Last edited:
You could use a regular rectangle summer sleeping bag and wear loose thermals while you sleep, and maybe carry a light blanket in addition to the sleeping bag. That would save money on equipment and keep the weight down.

Some albergues are quite cold.. most aren't, and many provide blankets. Pensions and private rooms almost always provide bedsheets and blankets.

I had a few bad sleeps due to cold rooms and only wearing boxers to bed... but not sure it would warrant carrying a heavier sleeping bag.
FYIā€¦. Currently blankets are a rarity on the Camino per Covid restrictions. Iā€™m currently finishing my second stint in an alburgue this fall. So this is current info. Not that it canā€™t change but both alburgues Iā€™ve been working in were no mantas (blankets). And from conversations with pilgrims here in the Francesā€¦. Itā€™s been a regular thing. So plan accordingly.

Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help.

Hi @patata and welcome here on this forum.
Take a look at this one from Haglƶfs. Not that cheap nor ultralight but will fit you nicely.
And I just love this brand for its quality.

Good luck.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would recommend down rather synthetic (lighter) and avoid oblong shape (lighter). Decathlon do this one which in XL should just fit

Thank you for all responses and suggestions.

I doubt Thermolite reactor would be enough from what I've read and the rest of SeatoSummit is too expensive for me.

The recommendations from @SabineP and @Gavin Kingsdown49 look great and I'll definitely take a closer look at them.

If anyone has any other brand/site to take a look, I'd appreciate.

I have a cumulus panyam sleepingbag. You can order them in different sizes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help.
For my 2017 Camino I bought an extra long and lightweight bag from Decathlon. It also packed up small.

Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help.
Hello
I have walked 4 times in April, May, June, July, September and October. I have only ever carried a sleeping bag liner. They are light weight and fold up to nothing. On the occasions it does go a little chilly at night most alberques have a supply of blankets that you can use or you can always sleep in your t shirt.
Buen Camino
Vince

Hello Patata!

March will be cold at night in some places. Many people will tell you a liner is enough, but it depends - are you a cold or warm sleeper? Where do you plan to sleep? I always bring a sleeping bag, even in summer. Nights can still be cold, especially at high altitude. It's not nice not being able to sleep because you're freezing, and that just to save a few hundred grams of weight in the backpack...? Hotels might be warm and offering blankets always, but not all albergues. So better bring your own source of warmth to be sure :)

Decathlon is a good source, as others mentioned. Snugpak also has some low budget options easily available in Europe, good quality but not very lightweight. Their "jungle bag" might be an idea (220cm length, and it even has a mosquito net included that might help against bedbugs!).

You could also have a look at second hand sleeping bags, for example at Ebay. Just make sure to ask the seller about exact measurements. That way, I bought a lovely high quality down sleeping bag that is quite light and keeps me toasty warm even below -10Ā°C for just 80 Euros.

If you don't find a sleeping bag that is long enough for you, you could also bring a shorter one, and additionally wear a lightweight down/synthetic down jacket at night to make up for it (Decathlon has cheap ones, sometimes even ALDI has them in winter, or maybe there's already an old one in the back of your wardrobe) and a hat/buff on your head to keep you more warm. A warm head is most important on cold nights, so if you don't fully fit into the hood of the too short sleeping bag, something warm to cover your head will help. You're not in antarctica, just in not so well heated hostels, sometimes ;-)

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would recommend down rather synthetic (lighter) and avoid oblong shape (lighter). Decathlon do this one which in XL should just fit
I like DĆ©cathlon products, but if there was no heating in March, would recommend a 3 season bag or a 2 season plus inner. This bag may not five the OP any wriggle room.

A sleeping bag is a very useful thing to own and a good one will last a long time, just don't store it in it's small stuff sac but keep it in a larger cloth bag when at home so that it doesn't permanently compress.
I am 1.88m and always get the 'long' size, this also gives some extra sideways space that is useful for middle-aged spread. It is good to actually get inside the bag at the shop and try it out.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @patata
I think there are some really good thoughts to contemplate in post #12 above from @good_old_shoes

Alsoā€¦ I always remember advice given by @mspath -with good ideas to keep warm in cooler seasons. Even when Iā€™m home in my own bed and itā€™s cold / Iā€™ll remember Margaretā€™s suggestion of ā€˜sandwichā€™ your sleeping bag; and Iā€™ll tuck my covers in more snugly. šŸ˜„. Have a read.
I've always put the liner inside the bag.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. Since all night heating is not the norm make a cosy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed when it is really cold.

Lucky you to be off again.
Stay safe, Carpe diem and Buen camino!

Margaret

Also with regard to the initial question ā€˜your sleeping bagā€™ / I would kill two birds with one stone and search for some ā€˜packing listsā€™ here on this forum. Quite often - people add descriptions, weight & detail that may assist you & they will also give ideas of other stuff that you may not have thought necessary (or unnecessary šŸ˜œ)

Good luck searching
& buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.