• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag for winter Camino (CF)

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
As per title, 12 months out and we are looking at sleeping bags which we will need to buy.

Would love to hear about temps in albergues and how warm a sleeping bag do we need, would love your thoughts. When we walked in March this year (including during snow) we found that most places turned the heating of early evening and all night. We did not use sleeping bags that time, rather staying in hotels etc. We are expecting to have to use muni's this time around as most of the private accom seems to be closed (especially over the Christmas new year period). Obviously we would like to go light weight but not at the expense of staying warm.

option 1: comfort level ... 2 deg celsius / 35.6F weight ... 940g

option 2: comfort level ... 7 deg celsius / 44.6F weight ... 780g

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK, so dunno about sleeping in albergues because I camp everywhere.

If you are not going to camp then quite frankly I suggest to get a synthetic bag, they are cheaper and will keep you warm enough. You can always use a woolen sleeping bag liner which increases your warmth. I wouldn't get too concerned with all the sales specification's of different ounces etc. It is all sales nonsense and practically speaking you will notice little difference. The comfort ratings again mean very little in reality as there are many other aspects to staying warm. My sleeping bag is comfort rated -14 but whether I'm warm or not depends entirely on the quality of the sleeping mat. If you are on a bed, just get a cheaper bag and sleep with some thermals on. Heating or not you will be warm enough

As per title, 12 months out and we are looking at sleeping bags which we will need to buy.

Would love to hear about temps in albergues and how warm a sleeping bag do we need, would love your thoughts. When we walked in March this year (including during snow) we found that most places turned the heating of early evening and all night. We did not use sleeping bags that time, rather staying in hotels etc. We are expecting to have to use muni's this time around as most of the private accom seems to be closed (especially over the Christmas new year period). Obviously we would like to go light weight but not at the expense of staying warm.

I’ve done 2 end of February/early March Caminos (French and Norte) and stayed mostly in municipal albergues with no or very minimal heating. I used a synthetic +10C bag (780gm) LaFuma sleeping bag plus silk liner and at times did also need the blankets which are provided by albergues (but not all). It was warm enough otherwise too hot. I wouldn’t go for the heavier 2C sleeping bag. However, starting the Via de la Plata end of Feb 2019 and I’m now now ditching my sleeping bag for a black diamond down quilt (Amazon) sewn on the bottom and up side to serve as my sleeping bag coupled with my silk liner. It weights 450gm, packs really small and is very warm. Apparently you can buy them cheap in the USA at Costcos. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I used something in between, 5°C, but only 595g. Expensive, but really well built and small. I also carried a silk sleeping bag liner that I used most nights and only used it and the sleeping back a few times. Personally, I would go as light in weight as you can, use a silk liner as it's amazing for the weight and size and then bundle up to balance as necessary with thermals. I keep thinking that using 2 liners might work as well for the warm sleeper such as myself.

Most albergues in Jan/Feb were adequately heated. One in Camponaraya was an icebox but had huge blankets with giant ceilings...enormous bunkbeds. It was wonderful!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've just walked the Camino with a Forclaz Trek 500 sleeping bag (very compact and quite light, 3 litres and 630 grams) bought from a local Decathlon for some special price, 15 euro or so. Its comfort temperature is said to be 15 degrees Celcius; to be honest, during the Camino I felt cold practically every morning, regardless of where I was staying - in an albergue or in a hostal and regardless of whether I was sleeping in my sleeping bag or on the hostal's sheets and under their blanket. But I'm very much used to central heating and big warm blankets at home :)

Overall, it's a good sleeping bag, comfy, lightweight, and inexpensive. I'll definitely take it again on my next Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.