• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag for Winter Camino.... help!

robertc

Hello,
I plan on going across the meseta (starting in Burgos) approx Dec 29/30. I have a "Season 1-2, 150g/m2" sleeping bag that has a "Comfort Temperature 8 deg C" rating. My question is, given I may more than likely be staying in unheated albergues, and the outside temp may be as low as -4 or -5 deg C overnight, will this bag be enough? Any opinions gratefully received,
Thanks ;)
Robert

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,
I plan on going across the meseta (starting in Burgos) approx Dec 29/30. I have a "Season 1-2, 150g/m2" sleeping bag that has a "Comfort Temperature 8 deg C" rating. My question is, given I may more than likely be staying in unheated albergues, and the outside temp may be as low as -4 or -5 deg C overnight, will this bag be enough? Any opinions gratefully received,
Thanks ;)
Robert

Hi Robert.
Is it the Cosmos 150 sleeping bag that you have? Either way according to the temp rating system, 8 deg C is considered the coldest that can be comfortably tolerated if you are wearing thermals and a 1 inch pad underneath your bag. Being as you will be sleeping on a mattress then that is covered. However, another pilgrim also posted this morning that the weather is particularly cold right now and that the water in his drinking bottle froze over. So given that, I personally would go with a warmer bag. The other option is to keep the bag and add a silk liner. This should give you about another 10 degree buffer. They are really light and not bulky enough to cause a problem if you don't need it. Let us know how it went when you get back.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have bought a One Planet down bag -5, and weighs 765 grams. I don't feel the cold so am hoping it will be fine. Instead of a silk liner I have a thermal reactor, which adds even more warmth than my silk liner. I think the one I have is a Cacoon, but can't confirm that because it is already packed ready for Friday's departure. I got the latest model which has a full length zip, and the loft used means that the bag is warmer for less weight.

I have icebreaker leggings and a merino long sleeved shirt to sleep in. IF I am still cold I p!an to sleep in my Montane Prism insulated pants and my down jacket. Snow gum stock one planet brand - not sure who else does. The fabric of the shell seems as if there won't be much down migrating which pleases me. Janet

I think it depends on how you sleep ... if you get easily cold at night I would upgrade to a warmer bag, if you are one of these people who is always warm I think you will be fine.
The other thing to keep in mind is that you might be very cold from being outside all day so this might mean you need a warmer bag to warm up properly.

I'll be leaving Astorga on the 20th Dec and I upgraded from my summer sleeping bag (comfort rating 12 deg) to a down bag (comfort rating 0 degrees) as I always get cold around 3 in the morning and it's much easier to vent rather than having to put on all your stinky clothes in order to stay warm. I got the Lightwave Firelight 450, it weighs 760g and the 0 to -5 degree rating is very conservative (when compared to bags with the same down filling) expnsive but my christmas present to myself :)

As a general rule apparently, men sleep warmer than women. That was what I was told numerous times when I was shopping around to upgrade my bag. The thing I like about one planet is that they don't assemble the bag until it is ordered - means that the down hasn't spent months in a compressed state. Janet

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Segue into caring for your sleeping bag. Wash (never dry clean) your sleeping bag as the manufacturer directs. I usually spread mine out on a flat surface outside to dry for a while then finish drying with air-only using a tennis ball to plump up the down. Store, when thoroughly dry, in a loose-fitting cloth bag (not the stuff sack). When I am on the Camino, I usually don't use the stuff sack either. I carry the bag in a garbage composting bag so that the bag doesn't get compressed (My Granite Gear Vapor Trail (2-lbs.) backpack has the capacity for this--smaller packs might not :)).

I went late October to early December last year.

The albergues that are open are heated. Some of them are heated barely enough to prevent the pipes from freezing. Others are heated to tropical levels of discomfort. Those operated by Xunta in Galacia were usually warm enough to only require the sheet liner I use with my bag.

You will be sleeping indoors so the outside temperature does not pertain.

In those colder albergues there will be blankets available.

I've just crossed the meseta from Segovia to Zamora, with temperatures going down to -9, most albergues barely or un-heated and was quite happy not carrying the bulk of a sleeping bag. All the albergues had blankets (except Zamora, which was a bit too warm for my taste, so a liner was fine). But I do have a lot of marvellous merino for emergencies.

PS I'm the pilgrim whose bottle froze 2 days ago.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've just crossed the meseta from Segovia to Zamora, with temperatures going down to -9, most albergues barely or un-heated and was quite happy not carrying the bulk of a sleeping bag. All the albergues had blankets (except Zamora, which was a bit too warm for my taste, so a liner was fine). But I do have a lot of marvellous merino for emergencies.

Hi Alan.
I knew someone's water had froze but couldn't find the link :)
So if I am reading correctly, you were able to manage a winter trip without hauling around a sleeping bag? I'm asking as I am leaving early March and expect it to be very cold. I will also be staying primarily in albergues and have been pondering how warm a bag I should take. Maybe it isn't as big a deal as I am thinking if the majority of albergues will provide blankets anyway? Thoughts?

Hi Karen,
Thanks for your post. Makes me think I can manage with my existing bag and liner.. plus some woolies if it gets too bad! My bag is a "Highlander Voyager - Compact Light" - I think it was pretty cheap to be honest but hope it'll be ok. I will let you know when I get back. I was on the Camino in late Sept/early Oct when I made it as far as Burgos, and I was COLD some night.. but I had no bag, only the liner. However, contrary to what you will hear on this forum not everywhere has blankets!! Maybe those people got lucky, but I had a few rough nights of broken sleep because I was in an albergue that had no blankets (yes, I asked). I can't remember but I'd say 10-20% of the places I stayed didn't have them - so bear that in mind anyone thinking of a winter camino!
Buen camino
Robert

Hi Robert.
Is it the Cosmos 150 sleeping bag that you have? Either way according to the temp rating system, 8 deg C is considered the coldest that can be comfortably tolerated if you are wearing thermals and a 1 inch pad underneath your bag. Being as you will be sleeping on a mattress then that is covered. However, another pilgrim also posted this morning that the weather is particularly cold right now and that the water in his drinking bottle froze over. So given that, I personally would go with a warmer bag. The other option is to keep the bag and add a silk liner. This should give you about another 10 degree buffer. They are really light and not bulky enough to cause a problem if you don't need it. Let us know how it went when you get back.
Buen Camino!

Hi Alan,
I really appreciate your reply, especially since you are or were 'on the ground' - it's exactly what I wanted to hear as I weather can vary from year to year. Anyway, I'm one of those who must be running on reptilian blood, so .. when others are too hot, I'm often cold. It probably explains why I was pretty cold some night in Sept/Oct. Thanks to you, and the other replies, I won't be wasting hard earned cash on another sleeping bag, but I think I will take my bag this time. I would have killed for it last time round and I think it's going to be a lot crisper now! Are you still walking at the moment?
Buen camino
Robert

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.