• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag in april question

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
Sorry if this is an old question, I could not fid any aswares in this particular forum.
Do I have to carry a sleeping bag or a silk liner will be ok? I´m going in April, so very cold, but maybe there are blankets in the gites...
Thanks for your help
Katia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are blankets in most gites. Whether that will keep you warm enough is up to you. If you find a gite without blankets, you can sleep in your clothes, jacket, and poncho.

Sorry if this is an old question, I could not fid any aswares in this particular forum.
Do I have to carry a sleeping bag or a silk liner will be ok? I´m going in April, so very cold, but maybe there are blankets in the gites...
Thanks for your help
Katia

Katia:

I would not walk the Camino in Spring without a sleeping bag. There are lots of light weight down bags.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Even though I have not walked the Le Puy route I would not walk it in April without a sleeping bag and liner. Its better to be warm than sorry.

Depends on where you stay and how "warm" you sleep... Even if places have blankets - it will probably take you while to get comfortably warm when blanket, room and mattress have a starting temperature of 5-10 °C. I used a sleeping bag most of the time.

I started end of April from Le Puy and generally found that there were 2 temperatures in dorms and/or bedrooms; stifling hot, windows closed, hermetically sealed and no air in modern/refurbished buildings or cold, humid with plenty of air in older buildings.

Others might have had different experiences

Thanks for your help
Katia
I would not walk in April without a light weight sleeping bag.
My down sleeping bag is 400 grams. Impossibe to rest or sleep at nights if you are freezing :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked Le puy this April with only a liner and had no issues.

Thanks everyone...

I would not walk in April without a light weight sleeping bag.
My down sleeping bag is 400 grams. Impossibe to rest or sleep at nights if you are freezing :)

We are walking the Le Puy route next April and think we will take sleeping bags. We are looking at a Macpac Escapade 150 down sleeping bag that weighs 500gm. They are only suitable around 10 degrees but hopefully we will only be using them inside a building. Has anybody had experience with these sleeping bags. We have synthetic sleeping bags that weight 1kg that we took on the Frances, but are after something lighter. Any ideas anyone?

What brand is yours Anniethenurse?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Katia:

I would not walk the Camino in Spring without a sleeping bag. There are lots of light weight down bags.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe, Just got a light-weight down sleeping bag from REI. Do I need a liner, too? I am leaving SJPdP on 11 April next year.
Joe G

@marbuck
My sleeping back has about the same qualifications than yours.
You will be sleeping inside a building and you will be very happy with it.
My sleeping bag is Halti 400 Airlite Standard - the new model weighs 450 g.
http://www.halti.fi/content/en/39/967/967.html

@joe g texas aggies In my opinion no liner is needed - better to wear more clothes if needed.

Thanks Annie. Even though it is 5 months before we go on our Camino, our trekking shop has them on special so we will go and buy them tomorrow. Having all the gear on hand in advance gives you more incentive to go on your Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Keeping the weight of a sleeping bag in perspective, a 500g sleeping bag weighs less than the water you will carry, and probably about the same as food you may buy for lunch. On your first day, you will lose 500g of body weight or water. So a lightweight sleeping bag really does disappear into the "noise" of keeping pack weight low.

Take what will make you comfortable.:)

Hi Joe, Just got a light-weight down sleeping bag from REI. Do I need a liner, too? I am leaving SJPdP on 11 April next year.
Joe G
I am in the take a liner camp. It is always a good alternative to the bag on warm nights, and is easier to wash than a bag should there be any soiling from sweat etc.

Joe G

Joe G:

I do not think a liner is necessary. That said, Many people like them. You can find good ones at REI, most are silk and some folks like the feel. I have one but find it restrictive/confining. On warmer nights I just open the sleeping bag up and sleep on it. A lot of equipment debates are based on individual preferences and we all have different comfort levels. Go with what feels good to you.

Spring weather can be variable. On my first Camino, I saw lows in the twenties (mountains) and highs in the nineties (meseta) and very little rain. The next year it rained about half the days.

Start slowly and ease your body into the walk.
Listen to your body, if you feel friction stop and address the problem. As your feet and body goes, your Camino will go.
Let the Camino be your guide. Try not to over plan.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We went and looked at the sleeping bags, but they were not suitable for our intended use. Nice and light and packed down very small but just not quiet warm enough for a very cold night.

But we did find another bags that came in at 600gm weight and really ticked all our box's. The Sea to Summit MC2 down bag. A lot more expensive but what price do you put on a good nights sleep. As Falcon said:

Take what will make you comfortable.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back