• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in April

Mike ward

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
Hi,

leaving Wellington New Zealand to start our Camino (CF) mid April 2018 and can't decide if a sleeping bag liner would be warm enough in the Albergues? Don't want to carry a sleeping bag unless we really have to given it's presumably going to get warmer as we go.

Buen Camino
Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never carried a sleeping bag...just a liner. I have occasionally used blankets. I like cool weather and don't like heat. Others have never traveled without a light sleeping bag. It is a very individual preference.

I have never carried a sleeping bag...just a liner. I have occasionally used blankets. I like cool weather and don't like heat. Others have never traveled without a light sleeping bag. It is a very individual preference.
Thanks for the response yes agreed it's an individual thing and I'm also aware of all the comments about taking only what you need so it's a bit of a fight to get both right.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum Mike. There's a fair few threads on sleeping options and you will find most Albuerges have blankets so you can go without a sleeping bag. Liner is a good idea and Merino leggings and top a good option as it can get cold in the higher regions. We've always taken the extremely small and lightweight macpac sleeping bags, as we've been caught out with accomdation options on the remote routes and also useful for when stuck in airports and ferries etc.

Hi Mike - My wife carried a down sleeping bag and I had a down quilt last April/May and neither of us regretted the fact. I know that will be sacrilege for many to carry the weight but a warm, comfortable sleep to heal and rejuvenate for the next day is pretty big on our needs.

As with those who have said, carry a sleeping bag, a light one, maybe 500g to 600g max will do you well, especially if there is a problem finding a bed, for any reason, or, just to save a few euros and eat better or stay in a hotel the next night. Some will stay in refugios and albergues for 5 nights, sleep outside for one night and a hotel for the 7th night. It changes things up and provides appreciation for any bed, at times.

Myself, I carry everything needed to sleep outside, a bivy, blow up mattress and bag. Greater warmth comes from adding clothing layers but never too much to induce perspiration if at all possible.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Impossible to predict what the weather will be, nor how many other pilgrims will be in same albergue gsnerating body heat, nor whether the albergue will have any heating, nor whether there will be enough blankets to go around or occassionally even any blankets. The nights can still be cold in April, especially early April. I walked in April this year and used my sleeping bag most nights.

I have always brought a thin, lightweight sleeping bag (not down) on my three caminos. I started in mid April for six weeks of walking and mostly stayed in albergues. I never regretted bringing it as not all albergues have blankets and I particularly like the feel of a little weight on me when sleeping. On the very few nights that became rather warm, I just unzipped it and partially uncovered myself.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
An earlier post pointed out that every year has different weather & that is very true. That said In the middle of April forward it does warm.

I would feel very confident taking just a down blanket, as I carried a down sleeping bag that became too warm after the middle of April.

Yet I would probably start earlier (march) due to the booking ahead requirements because of the number of pilgrims.
Buen Camino
Keith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As with those who have said, carry a sleeping bag, a light one, maybe 500g to 600g max will do you well, especially if there is a problem finding a bed,...
Huh, that's heavy. I bought mine for 6,99€ at 250g. Quite enough even when sleeping outside (I used it as a sleeping mat actually).

I have an older sleeping bag to heavy to carry and we have a couple of those macpac escapade 150 which are more a liner than sleeping bag. I found that very thin and quiet cold but we are still in very early spring here in NZ and I'm not sure how that would translate to real feel on the Camino if you know hat I mean.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
carry a sleeping bag, a light one, maybe 500g to 600g max will do you well,
I have found that brand name "lightweight" synthetic bags tend to be 900 g for rectangular, and perhaps 600 g for a mummy shape or tropical weight (no insulation on one side). Down bags are lighter but more expensive. The down "blankets" are around 500 g, and sometimes they can be quite inexpensive.

I have always carried a 900-g synthetic sleeping bag rated at 7C, and have certainly needed it many times in the spring and fall. I prefer to save the weight in other ways. I now have an inexpensive 450-g down blanket (thanks to @Anemone del Camino) and intend to turn it into a sleeping bag.

Huh, that's heavy. I bought mine for 6,99€ at 250g. Quite enough even when sleeping outside (I used it as a sleeping mat actually).
Sounds like an excellent and lucky find. I have never seen one like that, and doubt that it would be warm enough for me, even wearing my merino clothes and down vest. At night after a long day walking, my tired body wants to be nice and warm. If the weather turns out to be warm, that's OK, but I am prepared for any weather.

can't decide if a sleeping bag liner would be warm enough in the Albergues
So, there is no easy answer. You make a guess at what you might need, think about how important it is to be warm at night, see what is available, and then you walk! You can buy a sleeping bag in Spain, but that would probably be after you have a cold night and when you get to a big enough town to have them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

leaving Wellington New Zealand to start our Camino (CF) mid April 2018 and can't decide if a sleeping bag liner would be warm enough in the Albergues? Don't want to carry a sleeping bag unless we really have to given it's presumably going to get warmer as we go.

Buen Camino
Mike
Hi Mike, I'm from Wellington also and I walked April/May this year. I took the lightest weight sleeping bag from Kathmandu, and I'm glad I carried it all the way. Some nights it was very cold and I slept in all my clothes in my bag and some nights it was hot and I slept on top of it. I would say take one. Not all places give you a blanket and some beds are pretty hard so at least it's another layer you can use. Good luck, you will have a wonderful time! The weather was fantastic and it was not busy. Buen Camino!

Hi Rachel,

Nice to speak to another local :) hope you don't mind if I pick your brain. Would you say the temperature when you started is similar to the last two or three weeks here in Wellington? I'm interested as you see people comment on the cold but then you see they are from California and everywhere is probably cold to them. Can I also ask did you have a planned kilometre per day and did you stick to it?

Hi Rachel,

Nice to speak to another local :) hope you don't mind if I pick your brain. Would you say the temperature when you started is similar to the last two or three weeks here in Wellington? I'm interested as you see people comment on the cold but then you see they are from California and everywhere is probably cold to them. Can I also ask did you have a planned kilometre per day and did you stick to it?
Hi Mike, not at all! Happy to help :)
The temps were cool in the morning generally, I would start off with a thermal and a top layererd zip up Kathmandu jersey, not a woolly thing, and maybe my jacket and a scarf, but by 10am it was warm enough to be in a tshirt. So plan on warm days but cool nights. I think the other kiwis I met also agreed with this theory. We handle the cold really well. The Americans and Koreans were always layered up to the max. I wore shorts over the Pyrenees for example! Although it was a beaut day just with a cold mountain wind.
Compared to our temps here lately, no, it was warmer during the day, and could get down to 4 deg at night over there. There was no snow over the Pyrenees when I walked, only had 3 days of rain to walk in, two it was torrential, one it was light rain. That's out of 39 walking days! I was very lucky!
I did plan before I went to do smaller distances than what John Brierly recommends in his book. But I ended up doing between 18-21km a day. My friend and I (a kiwi I met over there) we tried to plan on stopping for the night away from the main places in the guidebook. But we needednt have worried about not getting a bed as the numbers of pilgrims are low at this time of year still. In my opinion. I want to walk it again and at the exact same time of the year as from comparing it to others accounts of their experiences, I feel it was perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. Not too many pilgrims, no racing for beds.
Hope this helps mike! Happy to answer any other questions you may have :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Rachel,

I wrote a blog called Just a Mum - on the Camino, on Facebook. You can see what the days were like weather wise in my pictures there, if you want to look. :)

I have an older sleeping bag to heavy to carry and we have a couple of those macpac escapade 150 which are more a liner than sleeping bag. I found that very thin and quiet cold but we are still in very early spring here in NZ and I'm not sure how that would translate to real feel on the Camino if you know hat I mean.
I slept with my thermals on if it was really cold in the Albergue, but it always ended up warming up considerably once everyone was crammed in with you! Most Albergues had good heating and sometimes it was too hot! Use your current bag, you will be fine.

Hi Rachel,

Hi again! I just thought it was worth telling you that you can always buy more of what you need over there. There are plenty of opportunities to grab more gear if you need say, a thicker jersey or another thermal. The trail Passes through some towns that have great shops for pilgrims, so don't worry about being left high and dry! Pun intended haha!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

Buen Camino
Mike
I did the CF starting early April 2017. Sleeping bag liner was all I needed. My pack was 8 kg. I'm 75, took 35 days from SJPP. Everything was wonderful, magical. If you have too much of anything, give it away. If you need more/different stuff, buy it.

Keep it simple, KISS. If it can be solved with money, it's not a problem just an inconvenience.

HI Steve..I'm from the lower South Island & walked the Frances April/May this year. I started off with a thermal liner & silk liner, I ended up dumping the thermal liner. Only the municipal albergues don't have blankets, the private albergues all have blankets or duvets. I had 2 cold nights in municipal with no blanket but sleeping on the top bunk & in all my clothes helped. At the end of the day it's only a night & the next night opt for private albergues. If I went again I would just take a silk liner. Have a wonderful experience!

Hmmm. I walked CF last year in April and needed sleeping bag nearly every night- walked through snow, sleet, miserable rain. This year on the Camino sanabres in April I used half the time as it was HOT hot hot.
I wouldn't go without a light sleeping bag .... just in case it's like 2016

Another vote for a sleeping bag. I walked 2nd April well into May this year. Stayed in as many municipal albergues as possible as they suited me. I loved the no fuss simplicity, the mix of nationalities, the kitchens, the vinyl mattress covers, and no bookings allowed. Used my lightweight 500g down sleeping bag almost every night usually opened as a quilt and occasionally as a cocoon.

Hi Mike, not at all! Happy to help :)
The temps were cool in the morning generally, I would start off with a thermal and a top layererd zip up Kathmandu jersey, not a woolly thing, and maybe my jacket and a scarf, but by 10am it was warm enough to be in a tshirt. So plan on warm days but cool nights. I think the other kiwis I met also agreed with this theory. We handle the cold really well. The Americans and Koreans were always layered up to the max. I wore shorts over the Pyrenees for example! Although it was a beaut day just with a cold mountain wind.
Compared to our temps here lately, no, it was warmer during the day, and could get down to 4 deg at night over there. There was no snow over the Pyrenees when I walked, only had 3 days of rain to walk in, two it was torrential, one it was light rain. That's out of 39 walking days! I was very lucky!
I did plan before I went to do smaller distances than what John Brierly recommends in his book. But I ended up doing between 18-21km a day. My friend and I (a kiwi I met over there) we tried to plan on stopping for the night away from the main places in the guidebook. But we needednt have worried about not getting a bed as the numbers of pilgrims are low at this time of year still. In my opinion. I want to walk it again and at the exact same time of the year as from comparing it to others accounts of their experiences, I feel it was perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. Not too many pilgrims, no racing for beds.
Hope this helps mike! Happy to answer any other questions you may have :)
Hi again, thanks this is exactly what we were after. Trying to gauge temp is never easy and how the temperature feels is just as important but only works if you can relate to you own temp/feel.

Regards
Mike

Hi,

Buen Camino
Mike
Hi Mile I walked Camino April 2017 and used a silk sleeping bag liner...glad I did...the material is good against bed bugs also warm enough..also most Albergue have blankets..if you need link for liner let me know and I'll post kr Jim Camino 2017
New Zealand 1999/2000

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi , I never saw any bed bugs this year when I walked. Not a single sign. did you??

Hi rach very lucky with zbedbugs silk liner was great will use again in April on del Norte kr jim

Hmmm. I walked CF last year in April and needed sleeping bag nearly every night- walked through snow, sleet, miserable rain. This year on the Camino sanabres in April I used half the time as it was HOT hot hot.
I wouldn't go without a light sleeping bag .... just in case it's like 2016
Or April/May 2013 for that matter. That was the only year I have taken a bag, and I did not regret it. Others I met that year who brought only a sheet were miserable. In 2012 and 2014 I took only a sheet, and with the exception of one night in O Cebreiro I was fine. But I do remember that night quite clearly...

It's a vexed question though. There are few things more unpleasant than being cold while trying to sleep, but personally I try to travel as light as possible, and enjoy the consequent rewards. I think it is a personal judgement call.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back