• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in early June?

bkkboy

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to start from SJPP on 1st June. I want to keep my backpack to a minimum, but am unsure about taking a sleeping bag, which I do not want to do. Late last July and early August, I found some mornings cold, Roncesvalle in particular may be cold, due to altitude and early in the month. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will need either a sleepsack or sleeping bag in every season if you plan on staying in albergues, as they are almost always required.

As far as comfort, I've frozen in June in Santo Domingo - there are many microclimates on the Camino and that early in the season, I'd suggest a sleeping bag.

When I cycled from Pamplona to Lisbon, via Santiago, last July-August, I did not need a sleeping bag. None of the albergues requested I use one. It was only when I returned to France and cycled from Pamplona to UK, staying in a tent, did a sleeping bag become necessary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Our start day is @ April 12th from SJPdP. I'm trying it with a silk sleeping bag liner and a, hopefully, sympathetic girlfriend! I weighed my sleeping bag; 3#,4oz. Eliminating that from my Deuter 34+ backpack brings my on-the-scale weight down to 12#'s !!!!!!! Buen Camino!!

I am planning to start from SJPP on 1st June. I want to keep my backpack to a minimum, but am unsure about taking a sleeping bag, which I do not want to do. Late last July and early August, I found some mornings cold, Roncesvalle in particular may be cold, due to altitude and early in the month. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
I was very happy to have a lightweight summer sleeping bag from REI. It was almost 24 ounces and I treated it with permithrin before my Camino as a bedbug precaution. Some people take a backpacker down quilt instead. While it is extra weight a good night's sleep makes up for it. My daughter was warm enough most nights with just a sleeping bag liner.

I did the Camino May/June. I used my lightweight sleeping bag every night in albergues. I don't recall ever being too hot but I also took a silk liner as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree that a sleeping bag would be beneficial, but extra weight. Elsewhere in this forum there is a discussion about the size of back packs. Most contributors agreed that about 20 to 25 litres was optimum. A lot of "day packs" are 28 litres, I could easily fit my clothes etc into a 28 litre back pack and have room to spare. Adding a sleeping bag, though, would be bulky, except if I buy a super light weight version. Fiting this into a 28 litre back pack would be impossible, even attaching to the outside would be difficult. Looking at photos of pilgrims on the web, many have day packs, while others carry much larger packs. The pilgrims that carry day packs look as if they have their gear shipped ahead by courier.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our start day is @ April 12th from SJPdP. I'm trying it with a silk sleeping bag liner and a, hopefully, sympathetic girlfriend! I weighed my sleeping bag; 3#,4oz. Eliminating that from my Deuter 34+ backpack brings my on-the-scale weight down to 12#'s !!!!!!! Buen Camino!!
You should take something more than a liner. I have walked it twice starting April 14 and it was very cold at times. I even walked in a snow storm at Cruz de Fero on May 12th. You will definitely want more than a liner. Blankets are more limited due to COVID and you can't count on them. The albergues use the heat only on a limited basis and with the cost going up, they might use it less. If you're staying in albergues, you probably won't be sleeping with the girlfriend. If you are in hotels, you will be fine.

I agree that a sleeping bag would be beneficial, but extra weight. Elsewhere in this forum there is a discussion about the size of back packs. Most contributors agreed that about 20 to 25 litres was optimum. A lot of "day packs" are 28 litres, I could easily fit my clothes etc into a 28 litre back pack and have room to spare. Adding a sleeping bag, though, would be bulky, except if I buy a super light weight version. Fiting this into a 28 litre back pack would be impossible, even attaching to the outside would be difficult. Looking at photos of pilgrims on the web, many have day packs, while others carry much larger packs. The pilgrims that carry day packs look as if they have their gear shipped ahead by courier.
I think you will find normal size backpack if you are walking from SJPdP to be in the 30's (35-38)

Thanks
If you don’t bring your sleeping bag, do you have something else in mind? There are lighter weight and less bulky alternatives that will still provide warmth.

I don’t know that albergues require sleeping bags precisely, but they do require you provide your own bedding or use those disposable sheets. I understand that due to Covid, blankets are scarce or non-existant. I have been happy with a silk liner and a miniature down quilt both in May/June and September, and the bulk and weight are manageable. I have sometimes been cold, but have never been hot sleeping in an albergue.

BTW, I use a 26 liter pack, but I think that is considered too small for most folks. It seems to me that packs in the 30 to 40 liter range are most popular.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Size of a summer bag like the Helio Sack 50° is reduced by 2/3s using a compression sack so that it is about 1/2 gallon, which is about what a set of waterproof outerwear occupies. It isn't difficult to attach to the outside of a pack if needed but I prefer it inside. It is very common to attach your evening sandals or shoes to the outside. I noticed many 32-38 liter packs on the Camino. Also the pack size depends on the size of the person, so a 20-25 liter isn't "best" anymore than a size 8 shoe is. I have outfitted many people for the Camino. Take a large pillow case, put ALL your expected stuff in it, less what you would wear, and go to an outfitter like REI (if in USA) to fit different backpacks and little stuff sacks for organization. Some packs are more stable and distribute the pack weight better. My daughter is 5' tall and used a 40 liter Deuter that fit her perfectly and any extra volume was reduced by adjusting the side straps. She plans to use her 32 liter for the next Camino and also take less stuff. I was using a 60 liter pack because I was carrying different versions of gear to test in preparation of my Camino classes. I will use a 40 for a regular Camino. Some people do taxi a big bag ahead each day but it adds cost and things can happen to it. Travel light with a pack and footwear that fit well and you should have a wonderful time.

I have carried a +5 deg C bag on all my pilgrimage walks. In Spain, these have all been in spring, and I have used the bag almost every night. Towards the end of these, I have often opened up the bag and used it as a quilt. Some places like hotels, hostels and some B&Bs have decent heating and bedding, but I didn't use them all that often.

On the subject of pack size, I use a 45 li pack in Spain, and a 60 li pack on summer pilgrimages in Norway and a winter pilgrimage in the UK, where the contents can be quite different. As @MichiganMan points out, packs are like shoes, each person has different size needs, and these will vary depending on the season in which you are walking.

I just re-read the post saying a 20 - 25 litre back pack should be OK. I did not notice that she said her main luggage was being forwarded every day. For me though, a 5 litre bag would be OK to carry gear when hiking, if most stuff was being sent ahead. Probably a 35+ bag will be suitable with a sleeping bag, I do not need to fill it. The reason I was hesitant to buy a sleeping bag and large back pack, at 73, I would not get much use out of them in the future.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just re-read the post saying a 20 - 25 litre back pack should be OK. I did not notice that she said her main luggage was being forwarded every day. For me though, a 5 litre bag would be OK to carry gear when hiking, if most stuff was being sent ahead. Probably a 35+ bag will be suitable with a sleeping bag, I do not need to fill it. The reason I was hesitant to buy a sleeping bag and large back pack, at 73, I would not get much use out of them in the future.
I was trekking in Nepal at 73 before Covid. Don't be surprised if you want another hike after your Camino. If not, there is a market for lightly used gear. I had a customer trying to entirely outfit for an Appalachian Trail through hike with used gear. So you can get part of your cost back and make someone else happy at the same time. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.