• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag in june on camino Portuguese

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal coastal route..Leaving from Portal June 3rd, 2016. 2nd coastal leaving Porto June 1st, 2018
I am doing the Portuguese camino in June 2015. I would like to know if a light weight sleeping rate to 48 degrees will be warm enough while staying in the hostels. We will be waking from Porto. Are most heated if it turns cold?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I biked the Portugues, Lisbon to SdC in October/November 2015 without a sleeping bag. I had a silk liner that I used every night with blankets that were available at the hostels and Albergue's.

I biked the Portugues, Lisbon to SdC in October/November 2015 without a sleeping bag. I had a silk liner that I used every night with blankets that were available at the hostels and Albergue's.
Thank you.. I am glad to find out that the alberue's have blankets available if needed. How did you like the portugues route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I absolutely loved it. We had a LOT of rain, but it was amazing. My blog is at http://www.skibikehike360.com/ whiny includes the day by day
Buen Camino

Hi Faye, I did use my sleepingbag while walking the CP in July 2014 since I'm not so comfortable using the blankets the albergues offer. The Portuguese people were saying the weather was not very good and it was not as warm as I expected. In the evenings it would cool down and I would wear long sleeves and pants and I remember starting my walk in the early mornings dressed like that.
Buen Camino to you

I am doing the Portuguese camino in June 2015. I would like to know if a light weight sleeping rate to 48 degrees will be warm enough while staying in the hostels. We will be waking from Porto. Are most heated if it turns cold?
I hope you mean you will walk in 2016 ! Walking in June can be pretty warm. Are you staying in hostels or albergues ? That is a big difference. Hostals are kind of hotels with most of the time privat rooms. They cost you about 20 to 30 € per night.
Albergues are places with bunks. Some are donative or cost you about 5 € per night.
The municipal albergues in Spain are 6€ per night. The Spanish albergues can be busy in june due to lots of Spanish pilgrims start there to walk the last 100 kms to Santiago (From Tuí) and to obtain a Compostela certificate for that reason.
Anyway on the Portuguese caminho there is no need for a sleepingbag. Due to hygienic reasons a silk sleeping liner could be preferable.
Look at the subforum hostals, hotels albergues for all information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In June it can be VERY warm.
I would just take a liner as my friend Albertinho says - not a sleeping bag. Try to get a 'square cut' liner if you can so you're not too restricted round your legs/feet.
The Portuguese was my first camino. Be VERY careful about walking the camino - you may get the camino 'bug' and find yourself planning new ones every year ;).
My plan is to walk TWO caminos in 2016 - first one in February, second in May.
Full diary for the Portuguese and photo links are on my web site.
Buen camino!!

Thank you so much for the info and link to your website. I will look forward to reading and seeing the pictures.

I use a Cocoon silk/cotton coupler. 290 grammes. It's benefits are that its rectangular, so lots of room, it's zippered so easy to get in and out of. And easy to wash.
I have just being trying out an 'Alpkit, cloud cover' camping duvet 450 grammes. I have used a KAM popper to fix poppers to the linner. Tested in unheated rooms at 8c and it's brilliant combination. Practical, adaptable and easy to keep clean

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked from Porto this last June. The weather, most of the time was incredibly hot ( 35 deg.plus). That is no guarantee that it will be the same again next year!
However, due to the fact that we were walking ' into summer' and not as we usually do ' into Autumn', I decided to eliminate the sleeping bags and bought a couple of cheap fleece blankets, which I doubled over, sewed Velcro along the bottom and a bit up the side. In that way, they could be used either open or closed like a sleeping bag. I also cut up a microfiber sheet, to use underneath the blanket. It worked perfectly and we gained at least half kilo in weight, not to mention the volume on our packs. Personally, I have never liked to use the Albergue blankets. , I would certainly do this again use this blanket system again, if not in very cold weather.

Last edited:
I bought a silk-liner and expect it is warm enough in June month.

View attachment 22998
Thank you...I think that I will go with the sick liner. I have bought a very lightweight compression sleeping bag, but will leave it home. I want to go with the smallest lightest necessary.

We walked from Porto this last June. The weather, most of the time was incredibly hot ( 35 deg.plus). That is no guarantee that it will be the same again next year!
However, due to the fact that we were walking ' into summer' and not as we usually do ' into Autumn', I decided to eliminate the sleeping bags and bought a couple of cheap fleece blankets, which I doubled over, sewed Velcro along the bottom and a bit up the side. In that way, they could be used either open or closed like a sleeping bag. I also cut up a microfiber sheet, to use underneath the blanket. It worked perfectly and we gained at least half kilo in weight, not to mention the volume on our packs. Personally, I have never liked to use the Albergue blankets. , I would certainly do this again use this blanket system again, if not in very cold weather.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back