• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to carry a sleeping bag: inside or outside the pack?

F

Former member 99816

I'm planning on taking a sleeping bag on my first hike (at least for the first couple of weeks) but wonder what is the most common way to carry it. Most packs have straps to tie the bag to the bottom but ii seems to me that the thing would be whapping your rear end with every step. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs. If I got a 50L pack instead of a 40L to get the bag inside, would that be a good solution - or am I thinking all wrong about this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Inside!
I don't like things hanging off my backpack. With a 50 liter pack you should have plenty of room. Even with a 40 liter pack you should have plenty of space. I carry everything that I need inside a 36 liter pack, and have room to spare. I don't take a regular sleeping bag - I have a silk sleep sack and small down blanket that takes up about as much room as a 2 liter soda bottle.

Inside. Less chance of damage, damp or losing the thing. If I am walking a Camino and using albergues all my gear fits easily in a 35l pack. Sleeping bag included. When I walked the Via de la Plata that also included an inflatable sleeping mat and a bivvy bag. No reason not to go for a 50l pack if you have other uses for it but it is probably overkill just for a Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
what is the most common way to carry it.
Inside the pack.

If I got a 50L pack instead of a 40L to get the bag inside, would that be a good solution - or am I thinking all wrong about this.
What do you have occupying 40L if it doesn't already include a sleeping bag? I fit my sleeping bag inside my 31L backpack. I can see advantages to having some extra room that I don't have, but you shouldn't have to go anywhere near 50L just to accommodate a sleeping bag.

(Of course, go ahead with 50 L, if that is what you prefer.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are walking the Camino between the months of May to September any sleeping bag you bring with you should not weigh more than 1 to 1-1/2 pounds and be larger than a 2-litre soda bottle. Any bag of that size easily fits inside of your backpack.

I guess I should get a sleeping bag and see how big it is compressed. I have $10 Walmart bag and its pretty bulky, seems like it would take up half the pack.
As for 40L vs 50L, What issuer arises from getting a pack bigger than you need?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess I should get a sleeping bag and see how big it is compressed. I have $10 Walmart bag and its pretty bulky, seems like it would take up half the pack.
No issues. Whatever pack you find to fit the best is the one to carry. Also are you going to check in your backpack or carry on the airplane (s)? That's where size and weight really play a role and make a difference. Personally I've never needed a pack larger than 40L for the Camino and I carry on my pack on flights as much as possible.
Definitely get a smaller sleeping bag. You can find lots of them at good prices on Amazon.

Hi
I put my sleeping bag inside my pack to have a supplementary protection against the rain and bugs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most packs have straps to tie the bag to the bottom but ii seems to me that the thing would be whapping your rear end with every step.
A different perspective , I would consider double bagging it the putting it on top. Just make sure you have the correct rain gear such a poncho that will accomodate and that you have accessibility to all the things you need in your side pockets. My reasoning is that it will improve ones posture greatly and more weight will be carried on ones hips. First thing that is unpacked at an albergue is your sleeping bag laid nicely on ones bed.
Also , I'm sure you are no novice but pack everything in your bag in water proof bags - the sweat from your back can soak everything in ones pack.

Dang, that Ecoopro bag is really small! And the rating and price are fine, too. I think I'll need a thicker one though, temps in Logrono in June are 50's, occasionally upper 40's. Still, impressive compactness.
I gather that hanging the SB in the provided straps on the bottom of the pack is not as popular as getting a bigger bag. There's a High Sierra 50L nearby on Craigslist for $50. Guess I better git out and look at what's out there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dang, that Ecoopro bag is really small! And the rating and price are fine, too. I think I'll need a thicker one though, temps in Logrono in June are 50's, occasionally upper 40's.
You will be sleeping inside though - in June.
If you are staying in albergues there will be plenty of other bodies generating heat, and albergues are heated when it's cold.
Chances are you are more likely to be too hot than too cold.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think I'll need a thicker one though
Not necessarily. On the occasional night when it is cold, you can layer up with clothing.

You will get more function and versatility by taking an extra layer of light weight merino wool clothing (long sleeve shirt and long johns) than you will by taking a thicker sleeping bag.

What will you be taking as a warm shirt for the evenings? I take a down vest as well as a medium weight sweater to wear around in the evenings (I hate to be cold when my body is tired) and I often wear them to bed too. Put on all your dry clothes, including socks and a buff, and you are prepared for the possibility of colder weather that normal. Most nights you won't need them all.

Dang, that Ecoopro bag is really small! And the rating and price are fine, too. I think I'll need a thicker one though, temps in Logrono in June are 50's, occasionally upper 40's. Still, impressive compactness.
I gather that hanging the SB in the provided straps on the bottom of the pack is not as popular as getting a bigger bag. There's a High Sierra 50L nearby on Craigslist for $50. Guess I better git out and look at what's out there.
Walking the Camino in June I never encountered a cold albergue, and at times it gets quite warm inside them due to a combination of fellow pilgrims and closed windows. During the summer on the Camino all I carry is a sleeping bag liner and wear shorts and t-shirt everyday.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Inside. I think there is no other optimal option.
Even the professional Hiking Guide, with which I crossed the Alps, had his inside.
And it was a very humid summer in the Alps. We had sleet and 0°C on start of August in 2400m.

Best buy for me was a compressing-bag for the sleeping-bag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Puttster, if you ever have to carry anything extra outside your rucksack, it should be strapped to the top, where your shoulders and back will more comfortably bear the weight. Certainly not hanging from the bottom - that never makes sense! But as the great consensus above shows, everything should go within the rucksack whenever possible. The exceptions, of course, are a water bottle and perhaps a camera, plus walking poles; the bottle and camera are best placed in the side pockets of the pack, if available, and the poles firmly strapped on. Buen Camino, Tom

I'm planning on taking a sleeping bag on my first hike (at least for the first couple of weeks) but wonder what is the most common way to carry it. Most packs have straps to tie the bag to the bottom but ii seems to me that the thing would be whapping your rear end with every step. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs. If I got a 50L pack instead of a 40L to get the bag inside, would that be a good solution - or am I thinking all wrong about this.
Prefer inside. Almost lost one some years ago when it slipped out of straps. Plus it can get damp if it rains. Presuming you are going at a time when it can be cold and wet otherwise you would not be bringing a sleeping bag

I always walk with a 40L pack and I find that my sleeping bag, tightly rolled, fits inside the top flap of my backpack. It's very easy and comfortable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Inside. I bought a lightweight sleeping bag near Logrono in June 2015 that I used in Oct/Nov 2019. It was warm enough then and fit inside a 25 liter pack.

Found this sleeping bag on amazon. Only about $30 and all the bag you will ever need on the Camino. Weighs about 1-1/2 pounds, compresses very small.
I just ordered one! It saves me just over a pound and a ton of space from the one I was going to bring. And only $27!

Based on the reviews, it should be just fine for my height (5'4"), but not as great if you are close to 6'.

It will depend to some extent on how bluky your sleeping bag is, but I can pack full camping kit including a tent, stove, sleeping pad and bag into a 40L pack with no difficulty. I would never hang my sleeping bag outside of my pack, of all the kit it's the thing that I least want to get wet.

The great thing about walking the Frances during the summer is how little equipment you need to carry. Easily in a pack less than 40L in size and weighing less than 15 pounds with water. The albergues are warm, and at times even stifling hot inside at night. Many times I slept on top of my sleeping bag liner as even being inside of it would have been too hot. A few times I woke up to a smelly sauna of an albergue sleeping quarters, grabbed all my stuff and slept in the common area. Once on a picnic table outside in the yard and another time in a hallway. You're not camping, not even hiking. Just on a long walk between towns and villages and sleeping indoors on a bed every night. I saw many a discarded cold weather sleeping bag in an albergue, not to mention the large amount of discarded ground pads.
The Camino is a great experience and I found it to be even greater when I had the lightest, smallest pack possible.

You need to try it with the sleeping bag you intend to take. The volume is extremely variable, although the general rule is that to get a light, warm, non-bulky bag costs more than a cheaper, more bulky one. it will also depend on when you intend to travel, in summer you only really need a sheet bag unless you're a very cold sleeper, in spring or autumn it can be quite chilly at night so you will need something warmer. Try taking a look at fleece sleeping bag liners for the warmer months, they will give you a little warmth and because you can use them as a blanket rather than a full sleeping bag they are much more flexible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Inside! Should compress rather small if stuff sack is good and tight ;-) I also line my pack with a trash compactor bag so nothing gets wet...
Buen Camino,
Bob

€149,-
This is the sleeping bag I mentioned earlier. Fine on the camino for June, October and November. Too warm for July. It has been my go to bag for summer camping since. I usually zip up the foot a bit and then use the rest as a blanket but it is nice to be able to zip it up all the way on the cooler nights.

Someone found a webpage for it:

As everybody above, if you are taking a sleeping bag inside your pack it goes.
But do you really need a sleeping bag. June is what we soft Europeans call "early summer" - it might not be as hot as Texas but . . .

1642270620111.png

either way, Buen Camino!

I'm guessing that the Walmart bag weighs at least 4-5 lbs and is very bulky.
Do yourself a favor and buy a kitchen scale so that you can know and compare the weights of different options of things that you will put in your backpack.

I have this one from Costco. It will weigh up to 30 pounds, and is precise down to a tenth of an ounce.
I can even weigh my fully packed backpack on it. Usually I set the backpack in an empty laundry basket so that it sits better on the scale.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We went end of August-October and never used a sleeping bag. We had a 48° quilt that fits in a plastic bottle and purchased a Sea-to-Summit sleeping bag liner that ups the temperature another 20°! About 95% of The albergues and hostels had blankets, we simply brought a bed sheet and a pillow case, used the liner and the quilt! All less than 1lb. Buen Camino

Inside is definitely best, with two main situational exceptions :

1) You're walking with an extremely small and lightweight pack, with space for your pure basics only, and it just won't fit in.

2) You are in exceptional need of so much kit, that the bag only fits on the outside.

I've been in both situations ; and I can tell you, 1) is intrinsically better than 2) -- but best of all is 3) kit + bag cohabiting inside. 1) is balanced enough, by default from tiny basic kit, but 3) simply makes the hiking easier from best balance in your pack, far better than 1).

If you are walking the Camino between the months of May to September any sleeping bag you bring with you should not weigh more than 1 to 1-1/2 pounds and be larger than a 2-litre soda bottle. Any bag of that size easily fits inside of your backpack.
Good advice for many pilgrims on the most travelled routes of the Way of Saint James in normal pilgrim season, but those among us habitually walking out, to, or via less frequented secondary or even tertiary Ways lacking infrastructure, or even warm weather from out of normal season, may need thicker quilts.

First thing that is unpacked at an albergue is your sleeping bag laid nicely on ones bed.

That’s the last thing I do! We are all different ;) .

The first thing I unpack is my crocs, ‘cos I have had to leave my boots at the front door.

The second thing I unpack is my towel, toiletries, and change of clothes, so I can go shower.

Meanwhile, I have left something on my claimed bed – left over snacks, water bottle, anything that I really don’t care gets “lifted” (never my sleeping bag).

Sleeping bag volume is pretty constant, but other pack ingredients seem to gradually decrease in volume as you walk on, so that early difficulties in fitting your bag into your pack may diminish as the Ks accrue.

Good advice for many pilgrims on the most travelled routes of the Way of Saint James in normal pilgrim season, but those among us habitually walking out, to, or via less frequented secondary or even tertiary Ways lacking infrastructure, or even warm weather from out of normal season, may need thicker quilts.
The OP specifically inquired about the Frances.

Very lightweight summer sleeping bag inside. Mine is ca. 500 gr./1 pound). And I bought a backpack the size that can be carry-on on flights for my first Camino, and it has done its job perfectly for 13 years: Why?

1. It prevents you from bringing unecessary items with you; just what you really need.
2. Saving weight, walking lighter and easier. Backpack weight is a serious issue when walking for many hours.
3. No risk of losing your backpack in some airport storage; always in sight.

Basic packing rule:

If you know you need it, bring it. If you think you need it, leave it at home. Remember, Spain is a civilised country (they "discovered" America). All you need/want (like walking sticks, if you need them), can be bought there, for a fraction of what you have to pay where you are/live.

Last edited:

€149,-
You need to invest in a 2lb bag rated for 50 degrees F.
Great for a good weather season shorter Camino on a route with all mod cons, but definitely insufficient for an off-season and/or longer and/or less-travelled one, where outdoors or floor space sleeping "arrangements" might pertain. Bags for 0°C to -5°C / 25°F to 30°F are best for that sort of thing, despite the extra bulk & weight.

If you know you need it, bring it. If you think you need it, leave it at home.
This may be a cute aphorism, but it is not something I follow.

"Thinking" you need it suggests an assessment of probability, and the line between "need" and "want" is very grey and personal.

If I think I will need it, I take it. If I think there is a significant chance I will strongly want something, I will usually take it, too. Some examples include rain gear and gloves (depending on route and season), a second spare pair of socks, spare pair of eyeglasses, knife, gloves). I don't want to be buying duplicates that I already have at home, that I could have predicted that I probably would need or want, in a small village when things are closed. That is why I carry almost 6 kg.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This may be a cute aphorism, but it is not something I follow.

"Thinking" you need it suggests an assessment of probability, and the line between "need" and "want" is very grey and personal.

If I think I will need it, I take it. If I think there is a significant chance I will strongly want something, I will usually take it, too. Some examples include rain gear and gloves (depending on route and season), a second spare pair of socks, spare pair of eyeglasses, knife, gloves). I don't want to be buying duplicates that I already have at home, that I could have predicted that I probably would need or want, in a small village when things are closed. That is why I carry almost 6 kg.
All the items you mention are on my need list. Hair dryer, makeup box, tent, mattress, fold-up chair, guitar, etc., are not. I carry 7 kgs.

I bring everything I need and also what I think I will need/want, which still keeps the pack weight around ten pounds before adding water.
Many people suggest you can purchase most things you may still need along the way, which is true.
For myself, I do not prefer to go this "route" (pun intended) as when on the Camino I get into the "zone" of walking and prefer no shopping distractions except for stepping in a tienda for snacks, and of course I enjoy the bars and restaurants. I never knew what a "China shop" was for the longest time, but kept reading about them on the forum and do see how they could come in handy in a pinch.

I walked both full Frances Camino's in June. Had a silk sleep sack--7 oz I think. Remember, and we'll use Logroño as an example, if it get's down to 50 degrees outside, it will most certainly be much warmer in a multiple pilgrim inhabited albergue. And a 50L pack is simply overkill on the Frances. Yes, we all have personal preferences, but the effect of the weight of a fully loaded backpack on the body is directly proportional to your enjoyment. Most pilgrim's desire to avoid the airlines losing a pack, and
stay in the under 40L size in order to bring the pack onboard instead of checking it, which acts as a size (and weight) governor. by the way, Puttster, there will be varied opinions about when to walk, but I think June is a damn near perfect Camino month--days are getting longer, less rain than April-May, warm, occasionally hot, but rarely scorching, and much of the Meseta is still green. Oh, and poppies.

First off where are you walking? If your first 'hike' is a camino given you're on this site and you are doing one of the popular caminos then I wouldn't bother taking one at all. Maybe take a silk bag liner. Even a good light-weight bag will be 600 to 700 gms for your size and it's bulky.

As C Clearly said, 56 degrees "average" can mean some pretty cold nights, so something like the aforementioned Ecoopro with down fill would cover that, if the albergue had no blankets. Although, I suppose the smaller, cheaper one could still work; when the weather turned cold I could just get a hotel room.

Q. Do those lightweight bags really double as blankets? They are so light and slick, does not seem like they would be much comfort, like a real blanket would.

I just now hopped over to Whole Earth to check out packs. Whoever said 50 L was too big was absolutely right. There were some 35L that felt about right, as most folks have said, so I'll be looking in that range. They had sleeping bags too, $400+ but none were packed in a sack so I couldn't visualize how much space they'd take up in the pack.

As C Clearly said, 56 degrees "average" can mean some pretty cold nights, so something like the aforementioned Ecoopro with down fill would cover that, if the albergue had no blankets. Although, I suppose the smaller, cheaper one could still work; when the weather turned cold I could just get a hotel room.

Q. Do those lightweight bags really double as blankets? They are so light and slick, does not seem like they would be much comfort, like a real blanket would.

I just now hopped over to Whole Earth to check out packs. Whoever said 50 L was too big was absolutely right. There were some 35L that felt about right, as most folks have said, so I'll be looking in that range. They had sleeping bags too, $400+ but none were packed in a sack so I couldn't visualize how much space they'd take up in the pack.
$400+! Wow.
I don't think all my Camino equipment combined costs that much lol and more than I would spend for all my accommodation on an average Camino.

€149,-
Some advice that I haven't followed, but which I think is good, is to buy the things that will go inside the backpack before you buy the pack itself, so that you know what size pack you really need.

Hi Puttster, I complete three Caminos I. May /June 2019 and my thoughts are weight is your enemy rather being cold at night. Backpacks vary enormously in terms of weight I have a 70 l pack which weighs 3.5 kg, I have an Osprey Exos 38 l at 1.2 kg and z pack back packs are 400 grams. I used a silk liner in place of a full sleeping bag, most night I was fine, a couple of nights I was cold but just put on more clothes, gloves,buff etc.
You can get compression bags for your sleeping bag which reduce the packed column by 50% or more.
Suggest you do more research as everything you take weighs you down both mentally and physically. Less is best

Make sure you get a compression stuff sack. Don't worry about rolling it just stuff it in the sack and compress it down as small as you can. It should be as small as small loaf of bread

€46,-
Make sure you get a compression stuff sack. Don't worry about rolling it just stuff it in the sack and compress it down as small as you can. It should be as small as small loaf of bread
Noted. I saw compression sacks at WE, different sizes, all with belts.

My pack was too small for bag inside (28l). I tied it to the side. Worked ok but next time would get a bigger bag and have to inside.

Found this sleeping bag on amazon. Only about $30 and all the bag you will ever need on the Camino. Weighs about 1-1/2 pounds, compresses very small.
This Ecoopro would be perfect if I could get my wife to sew a lightweight flannel to the inside. It would add maybe 18 oz but also some warmth... and a feel like a real blanket.

Attachments

• Ecoopro.jpg
    Ecoopro.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 10
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My sleeping bag goes inside and in a protective one gallon ziplock bag which I prefer to use rather than stuffing in its stuffsack; I sit on it to get the air out before zipping it shut in the morning. No worries if it rains. I carry a 36 L backpack and still have plenty of room.
I love the idea of putting it in a ziplock. I’m exhausted after trying to get mine back in the stuff sack.Thanks for the tip.

you will have more important things to think than about in or out, feet how is body feeling....just pack it start walking and here is an idea change if it does not suit..sorry but I found this funny thanks for the laugh.

I was told when I first started bushwalking that if it doesn't go in your pack leave it a home. I have found this to be excellent advice. Your sleeping bag should easily fit inside your pack. Don't bother with a stuffsack, just push it in and it will fill up any gaps and give shape to your pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always walk with a 40L pack and I find that my sleeping bag, tightly rolled, fits inside the top flap of my backpack. It's very easy and comfortable.
Just curious why you wouldn’t put it at the bottom of your pack since you don’t need to access it during the day?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The straps on the bottom of rucksacks can be used for walking poles, but unless the poles are very short when collapsed (at least three joints) they can be a real nuisance. And for those who tend to use poles all the time when carrying a pack, of no benefit.

First off where are you walking? If your first 'hike' is a camino given you're on this site and you are doing one of the popular caminos then I wouldn't bother taking one at all. Maybe take a silk bag liner. Even a good light-weight bag will be 600 to 700 gms for your size and it's bulky.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The advantage of a heavy bulky Walmart bag is that it will be easy to leave behind when you discover it is not a suitable piece of kit for camino walking.
A nice silk liner is the best sleeping idea. Treat it for bedbugs; it takes little space and is a nice barrier for the albergue wool blankets (which may disappear in this covid era) which you can add 90% of the time for more warmth.
And note that as one sheds excess gear in a 50l pack, the pack becomes unbalanced and hurtful to carry.
The camino is a lesson in 'right sizing' (low to mid 30l is plenty), not one of survival. Backpack fit is second only to boot fit for a happy camino.

Most osprey packs have a zip in spot on the bottom of their packs for your sleeping bag. I keep it in. Also easier to protect if raining.

I went ahead and got one of the recommended lightweights. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/ecoopro-jpg.116575/

Tonight I tested it out on a cot on the deck with the temp at 51 degrees, wearing long pants and long sleeved shirt. I could feel the cold air penetrating but I think I could sleep in it okay. If I had a poncho to lay on top it would be much better.

Then I got on top of the bag to see how full exposure felt. Then went inside (70 degrees) and tested that. From this ranging I put the comfort in the bag at a little better than inbetween, say, 63-64 degrees. Since in June the camino dips into the 40s at night, I'm either going to need bring some extra sleeping covers or just watch the weather and when cold nights are a-coming, get to a place with blankets.

Last year, below 50F (10C) many times in the summer

1645336473629.png

Last edited by a moderator:

€83,-
I went ahead and got one of the recommended lightweights. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/ecoopro-jpg.116575/

Tonight I tested it out on a cot on the deck with the temp at 51 degrees, wearing long pants and long sleeved shirt. I could feel the cold air penetrating but I think I could sleep in it okay. If I had a poncho to lay on top it would be much better.

Then I got on top of the bag to see how full exposure felt. Then went inside (70 degrees) and tested that. From this ranging I put the comfort in the bag at a little better than inbetween, say, 63-64 degrees. Since in June the camino dips into the 40s at night, I'm either going to need bring some extra sleeping covers or just watch the weather and when cold nights are a-coming, get to a place with blankets.

Last year, below 50F (10C) many times in the summer

View attachment 118887
As others have said, the temperatures given are for outside. You’ll be inside, with other warm people, the buildings quite often have heating.

Consider a sleeping bag liner. Keeps the bag cleaner and adds to the warmth capabilities.
Sea to Summit do one called Reactor that can add quite a few degrees to you sleeping bags rating.

€149,-
I could feel the cold air penetrating but I think I could sleep in it okay. If I had a poncho to lay on top it would be much better.
I doubt it. The moisture your body gives off will travel through the bag but then stop at the moisture barrier of the poncho and condense getting your bag wet. That happened to me a cold spring in Yosemite. I've made sure that it has never happened again.

Oh my goodness, you said "on the deck, on a cot". That was difficult test condition. As difficult as sleeping in a hammock with no under-quilt. Lots of air circulation, no support insulation, no bottom of the bag insulation because of body compression.
This is NOT how you would be sleeping in an alberque, but if you want to learn more about the bags temperature capability, put an insulated sleeping pad, matress or just some blankets on the cot for another test. Or slleep.on the ground, not the deck or cot.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.