• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in september/early October?

Aaron Baldwin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018
Do I need a sleeping bag if I'm doing the Frances in september and early October or can I use a sleeping bag liner and bundle up? Not sure what the average temperatures are at night and if most albergues are pretty warm at night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, do you mind sharing with me what have you found,, I am leaving today and was wondering if I should take my sleeping bag or not,,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, do you mind sharing with me what have you found,, I am leaving today and was wondering if I should take my sleeping bag or not,,

I've overthought this issue in a big way. I start 19th Sept and I have bought a Rab silk liner. I will probably add the 500g Trekker Superlite befor I fly off. £30 from gapyearstore. Liner plus bag equals 620g total weight. That way I can layer up and cope with whatever end October has in store. I hope. You're three weeks ahead of my schedule and I would probably just take the silk liner and be prepared to sleep in fleece and light joggers should that be necessary. Plus socks naturally! Minefield.

The other threads tend to say that it depends on (1) The future weather over a potential 40 day span. (2) If you are likely to stay in accommodation where you can grab a blanket. (3) Do you sleep hot or cold.
I sleep cold. My other half sleeps warm. On the same trip we would have differing sleeping bag requirements. At home, after a long hot summer, I'm now back under the duvet but she copes with a thin sheet. Heavens knows how. So her advice to you would be very different from mine.

If you look up sleeping bag, you'll find threads for it. Most people said to bring the bag. It's more weight but it seems worth it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The other threads tend to say that it depends on (1) The future weather over a potential 40 day span. (2) If you are likely to stay in accommodation where you can grab a blanket. (3) Do you sleep hot or cold.
I sleep cold. My other half sleeps warm. On the same trip we would have differing sleeping bag requirements. At home, after a long hot summer, I'm now back under the duvet but she copes with a thin sheet. Heavens knows how. So her advice to you would be very different from mine.
I might take my sleeping bag, it;s going to be 10 at the end of Sep and I can't sleep when I am cold... the other option is to take a silk liner and get a light blanket along the way, so you won't carry it for the time is not that cold,,

I might take my sleeping bag, it;s going to be 10 at the end of Sep and I can't sleep when I am cold... the other option is to take a silk liner and get a light blanket along the way, so you won't carry it for the time is not that cold,,
I've just scanned the weather along the route and the low seems to be about 14 on average, but Burgos is 10 tomorrow night!

If you are like me who dont like to be tangled up in the sleeping bag.....I took a liner with a zipper using that between me an the matress and used my unzipped ultra lite sleeping bag ( +7) as a cover. If I get too cold I can zip the liner slide in adding an extra layer with my sleeping bag or I would wear my next days walking clothes under my sleeping blanket ...temperature varies from day to day I recommend taking the sleeping bag if its an ultra lite. Some albergues had blankets but to be honest i didnt love using their blankets. although in april there was a couple times I became a bit despirate because it was bone chilling cold with little heat.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do I need a sleeping bag if I'm doing the Frances in september and early October or can I use a sleeping bag liner and bundle up? Not sure what the average temperatures are at night and if most albergues are pretty warm at night.

Generally speaking, the weather during this period is moderate and should not pose a problem for you. Keep in mind, the alburges have blankets should you need one. Leave the extra weight behind and have a great journey.

My experience Sept/Oct 2017 for what its worth...

Took a light sleeping bag (650 gms) and a silk liner (80 gms). Used the sleeping bag in Roncesvalles albergue as it was cold and blankets not provided by the hostel.

Didn't need the bag again when I reached Burgos so I posted it home in the interest of reducing backpack weight. Didn't need it again until most of the way across the meseta when I stayed in another hostel that didn't provide blankets, so I put my long johns (thermals) on and slept OK .

Sleeping bag not packed for Camino Frances 2018 (I leave in 4 hours)...

But then I do sleep hot...

My experience Sept/Oct 2017 for what its worth...

Took a light sleeping bag (650 gms) and a silk liner (80 gms). Used the sleeping bag in Roncesvalles albergue as it was cold and blankets not provided by the hostel.

Didn't need the bag again when I reached Burgos so I posted it home in the interest of reducing backpack weight. Didn't need it again until most of the way across the meseta when I stayed in another hostel that didn't provide blankets, so I put my long johns (thermals) on and slept OK .

Sleeping bag not packed for Camino Frances 2018 (I leave in 4 hours)...

But then I do sleep hot...
Have a great one

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.