• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in September?

AussieJan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Via de la Plata 2013
Chemin le Puy (2015 hopefully)
Planning to walk Chemin le Puy through September and wondering if I'll need a sleeping bag , or will a sleeping sheet be enough? Also, do you predict bed bugs will be an issue?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did that route last September and was happy that I had my light-weight summer sleeping bag with me, but if depends where you plan to sleep. If you sleep only in hotels, then not, if you sleep in gites then yes. I strongly recommend getting the MiamDoDo guide for the most extensive list if accommodation as it makes reservations so much easier. Bed bugs? My only confirmed encounter with them was in Cahors, a lot of places on the Le Puy route fight them with dedication ;-) There is no 100% proof method available to avoid them, so I was rather fatalistic about them when walking but extremely cautious of not taking any of them home at the end of my walk! Bon Chemin! SY

I did that route last September and was happy that I had my light-weight summer sleeping bag with me, but if depends where you plan to sleep. If you sleep only in hotels, then not, if you sleep in gites then yes. I strongly recommend getting the MiamDoDo guide for the most extensive list if accommodation as it makes reservations so much easier. Bed bugs? My only confirmed encounter with them was in Cahors, a lot of places on the Le Puy route fight them with dedication ;-) There is no 100% proof method available to avoid them, so I was rather fatalistic about them when walking but extremely cautious of not taking any of them home at the end of my walk! Bon Chemin! SY
Thanks SYates - sounds like I'll need the sleeping bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, a light sleeping bag for the gites, and yes, bed bugs may be a possibility.

On my very first morning, in a cheap hotel in Le Puy (I am not going to name it), I got out of bed, walked to the bathroom, came back and saw a bug walking across the sheet I had just slept on. I grabbed a tissue and squashed it. Then examined it. Yes, a bed bug, and I then saw the tell-tale black spots on the bedside cabinet. Great, I thought, I haven’t even started walking yet! Fortunately, I had dumped my pack on the other side of the room. I got the hell out of there and bought some bed bug spray before setting off up the hill. The good news is that I never saw bed bugs again, all the way to Santiago. Jill

Most French pharmacies sell CLAKO in small spray bottles and most gites recommend it against bed bugs and might sell it too. Cost 10 euro. Spray your backpack with it to avoid carrying them. Any Spanish supermercado will sell nearly the same permethrin for half the price in big cans. Look for Anti Hormigas stuf.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most French pharmacies sell CLAKO in small spray bottles and most gites recommend it against bed bugs and might sell it too. Cost 10 euro. Spray your backpack with it to avoid carrying them. Any Spanish supermercado will sell nearly the same permethrin for half the price in big cans. Look for Anti Hormigas stuf.

This is good to know.
Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hormigas is ants in Spanish, not sure anti-ant stuff would also work on chinches (bed bugs). SY
If most of the content is permethrin, it will work. On some of them chinches is mentioned as well. One spray called BIOS or something like that even has a picture of it. Contained exactly the same as the one I bought in a farmacia.

Planning to walk Chemin le Puy through September and wondering if I'll need a sleeping bag , or will a sleeping sheet be enough? Also, do you predict bed bugs will be an issue?

A big yes to the sleeping bag. I didn't on my
April May hike and was cold regularly even with blankets. Personally I found heating limited in gites and chambre d'hôtes I stayed in. A light summer one will do though as you can supplement with blankets if needs be. I'm half tempted to do a two week stretch on it again this year from Le Puy en Velay. So gorgeous a route... Bon chemin!

And speaking of sheets quite a few of the places I stayed obviously didn't change their bed sheets regularly. Urg.... And they weren't super cheap places either but chambre d'hôtes etc. Some sort of layer, be it sleep sheet or bag is definitely recommended.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there, i thought a sleeping sheet or liner would be enough on the Le puy route in September... but it seems i should take a sleeping bag... i'm a small, middle age, fit but not 'super strong' female and i was trying to reduce the weight of my pack as much as possible... has anyone NOT taken a sleeping bag and done ok with only a sleeping sheet? Any feedback would be highly appreciated :)

Hi there, i thought a sleeping sheet or liner would be enough on the Le puy route in September... but it seems i should take a sleeping bag... i'm a small, middle age, fit but not 'super strong' female and i was trying to reduce the weight of my pack as much as possible... has anyone NOT taken a sleeping bag and done ok with only a sleeping sheet? Any feedback would be highly appreciated :)
We were fine with just silk liners last Sep/Oct, as the gites provided blankets or quilts, and it was hot weather at that time.
Bon chemin!
Linda

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Only took a sleeping bag liner in April/May. However, if you are walking through to Santiago you may need a sleeping bag.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am taking a cross between a sleeping bag and a liner. Here in Victoria, BC, Mountain Equipment Coop sells the 'Intrepid Traveller'. It is like a quilted liner and takes very little space when in its stuff sack.

Here are a few practical tips re choosing a bunk and staying warm gleaned from more than 450 cumulative nights spent in pilgrim albergues over the past 10 years.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

MM

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back