• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in summer

LauraL

Time of past OR future Camino
French (starting late July)
Hello Camino friends. I'm preparing for my first Camino, it will be the Frances, starting in late July from SJPDP. I have been reading very conflicting advice regarding sleeping bags and I hope I can get the right answers here.

I would like to stay at cheap public albergues half the time or more, low-cost private albergues some of the time, and maybe the occasional luxury of a private bedroom here and there.

I will definitely carry a sleeping bag liner (S2S Reactor), but I'd rather not bring a sleeping bag if it's not a 'must'. I have an ultralight down sleeping bag which I love, but at around 700 grams, it's over 10% of the total weight I'm aiming for.

I expect my night at Orisson to be the coldest, given the altitude (would that albergue have blankets / be warm enough?).

I plan to wear a merino top and shorts to sleep, inside the liner. I could even wear my rain jacket and pants if I need more warmth...

Grateful for any tips and comments relevant to my time of year and route.

Cheers

Laura

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laura, one of the reasons you are finding conflicting advice is that there is no definitive answer to that question. There are to many "it depends" that will attach to any answer. Do you sleep hot or cold? What bedding do you use at home in your average seasonal temperatures. How do the average seasonal temperatures in Northern Spain compare to your familiar environment.

I'm from temperate southern England and never travel without my light down bag unless I'm exclusively booked into hotels.

Oh, and as a by-the-way, Orisson is not the highest altitude Albergue on the Camino Frances. That prize goes to O Cebreiro at 1330 m - and its always freezing in that great concrete barn.

Good points @Tincatinker .
In the same room, I could sleep in a liner, whilst my wife Pat would need a down sleeping bag and socks!
It's a very personal thing.

Though we went very light with our sleeping bags. Just 450 gms. Summer 10C bags

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for your sensible responses, @Tincatinker and @Robo
I found the Weather Spark website where I could compare the weather at home (Sydney, Australia) with some of the cities on the CF, and I can see that the average maximum temperatures are quite similar, but the minimum temperatures are a lot lower in Spain. I guess that gives me the answer to my question (not the one I wanted, but better be prepared!).

My sleeping bag is 3+ seasons and I could do with a lighter one, however was not budgeting to buy another one at this time... I will try hard to reduce weight on other items. It will be a challenge!

BTW, @Tincatinker you're right about the altitudes. I always had this idea that the Pyrenees would be the highest/coldest area, but the numbers don't lie.

I like to sleep hot and so I take a sleeping bag. I buy a really cheap, very light, nylon sleeping bag. That way I am comfortable, it doesn't cost or weigh much AND if I strike bedbugs somewhere along the way I can either put it in a very hot dryer for 30 minutes to kill the bugs or throw it away and replace it with another cheapo one.

I have a really good, expensive down sleeping bag but I would never take that on Camino.

Last month a local department store had a special for two sleeping bags for $22 so I bought a couple for my next Camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like to be warm in bed. However, for a July camino I would consider taking just a sleeping bag liner. But I would have additional clothing items to wear if necessary. You mention merino shorts and top, and rain jacket/pants, but won't you have any other clothes that you could layer on? Another full layer of clothes would have more versatility than a sleeping bag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Camino friends. I'm preparing for my first Camino, it will be the Frances, starting in late July from SJPDP. I have been reading very conflicting advice regarding sleeping bags and I hope I can get the right answers here.

I would like to stay at cheap public albergues half the time or more, low-cost private albergues some of the time, and maybe the occasional luxury of a private bedroom here and there.

I will definitely carry a sleeping bag liner (S2S Reactor), but I'd rather not bring a sleeping bag if it's not a 'must'. I have an ultralight down sleeping bag which I love, but at around 700 grams, it's over 10% of the total weight I'm aiming for.

I expect my night at Orisson to be the coldest, given the altitude (would that albergue have blankets / be warm enough?).

I plan to wear a merino top and shorts to sleep, inside the liner. I could even wear my rain jacket and pants if I need more warmth...

Grateful for any tips and comments relevant to my time of year and route.

Cheers

Laura
I have walked three Caminos. The first two late September into November. Had a 2lb Zero bag and was happy. Third Camino, late May into July and had purchased a Summit liner that not only lines, but keeps the bedbugs at bay. Worked GREAT!!! Also purchased an inexpensive piece of fleece from Walmart (20-25$) cut the width down so as to give me room to move , folded one end to make a foot pocket ( not to big...not to small) this gives you a place for your feet and keeps the fleece from sliding away. Two 1" straps with plastic clips, roll it up, strap it together. I didn't weigh it, but it can't be much more than a box of tissues. It worked Great. I also found that with the treated liner I often used blankets with no critter concerns at the albergues, or wherever you stop.

Note: Should you go with the liner you might want to take it from its pouch and air it out first. They say seventy washings. I washed by hand and let it air dry. Thought the dryer might weaken the chemicals, but I don't know.
I do know that I have always been bit by bugs, but not anymore.
Good luck...enjoy, and

Peace be with you.

I have never carried an actual sleeping bag for a July-August Camino Frances. I have only carried a liner and it was enough for me.
It can get quite warm and stuffy in the albergues during the heat of summer.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I like to sleep hot and so I take a sleeping bag. I buy a really cheap, very light, nylon sleeping bag. That way I am comfortable, it doesn't cost or weigh much AND if I strike bedbugs somewhere along the way I can either put it in a very hot dryer for 30 minutes to kill the bugs or throw it away and replace it with another cheapo one.

I have a really good, expensive down sleeping bag but I would never take that on Camino.

Last month a local department store had a special for two sleeping bags for $22 so I bought a couple for my next Camino.
That's incredibly cheap! Which store? How heavy are those bags?
You sound as it'd be easy to replace one of those cheap bags with another one. I did a quick search and all the cheap bags are around a kg or so. I was hoping for half that weight...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the advice of a much earlier thread I took a sleeping quilt. Half the bulk and weight of a sleeping bag. It has done me well in May, and is also nice for chilly evenings.
Not sure it would be needed in summer.

No blankets at Orisson when I was there. My advice, if you see blankets somewhere…,don’t use them…you may be inviting critters.
Critters... I know... that's another thing on my mind but not sure if avoiding blankets is the answer. Once they are in the room, they will find someone to feed on. Blankets could be put in the dryer for 20-30 minutes to ensure they're bug-free, but if the critters are hiding under the mattress, in the bed frame, etc., they will strike no matter what I use to sleep in. This is my take-away from all the info I have seen about them so far!

That's incredibly cheap! Which store? How heavy are those bags?
You sound as it'd be easy to replace one of those cheap bags with another one. I did a quick search and all the cheap bags are around a kg or so. I was hoping for half that weight...
They were a special at The Warehouse here in Auckland. The chain may have stores in Oz, I am not sure. The special has finished. They are now NZ$15 each.

I don't think that the label mentioned weight but it is way under 1kg. I would be surprised if it was more than 500 grams. It is very thin (fill wise) but provides a surprising amount of warmth.

This is a link to it
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/in...6r4KqWAJP6RhJpUWhwRoCP7oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It doesn't give an overall weight but says the fill is 150 grams. Add on the weight of the polyester cover and a zip. It should be well under 500g.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
They were a special at The Warehouse here in Auckland. The chain may have stores in Oz, I am not sure. The special has finished. They are now NZ$15 each.

I don't think that the label mentioned weight but it is way under 1kg. I would be surprised if it was more than 500 grams. It is very thin (fill wise) but provides a surprising amount of warmth.

This is a link to it
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/in...6r4KqWAJP6RhJpUWhwRoCP7oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It doesn't give an overall weight but says the fill is 150 grams. Add on the weight of the polyester cover and a zip. It should be well under 500g.
Wow, NZ$15 is still a steal! They don't have stores in Australia unfortunately. I will see if I can find someone in NZ who can buy one and send it to me.

Wow, NZ$15 is still a steal! They don't have stores in Australia unfortunately. I will see if I can find someone in NZ who can buy one and send it to me.
You can buy online and I think that they will ship to Oz. I have never needed to try. They certainly ship throughout this country. Try putting in your Aussie address and see what happens.

You can buy online and I think that they will ship to Oz. I have never needed to try. They certainly ship throughout this country. Try putting in your Aussie address and see what happens.
I checked, but they deliver within NZ only :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought I found the equivalent in Oz: https://www.bigw.com.au/product/hinterland-ranger-camper-sleeping-bag-red/p/677841
They don't give the weight in the specs. I bought it (not much risk in $15) and it is 800 grams 🤦‍♀️.
Are you able to weigh yours on a kitchen scale by any chance?
A friend is travelling to NZ and I can ask him to get me one, if it's really as light as it sounds.
I will see if I can dig out the kitchen scales tomorrow and weigh one.

You piqued my curiosity.

According to my kitchen scales one sleeping bag, in its bag, weighs 720 grams but my scales are old.....

I tried a 1kg of peanut butter on my scales and it weighed about 1100 grams on my scales but that includes a very light plastic jar.

I suspect that you have found the equivalent in Oz.

Did you weigh the one that you bought or is 800 grams the manufacturers measure. 800 is suspiciously round.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

You piqued my curiosity.

According to my kitchen scales one sleeping bag, in its bag, weighs 720 grams but my scales are old.....

I tried a 1kg of peanut butter on my scales and it weighed about 1100 grams on my scales but that includes a very light plastic jar.

Did you weigh the one that you bought or is 800 grams the manufacturers measure. 800 is suspiciously round.
Just in case you didn't see my edit

You piqued my curiosity.

It is 'around' 800 according to my kitchen scale (the bag doesn't stand very firmly on it, so the numbers keep moving around). The manufacturers do not specify weight.
So, in conclusion, it is slightly heavier than my good down bag (not by much). But this thread has been useful and I'm more comfortable carrying a cheap bag that I don't care much about, and I can leave behind somewhere if it suits me.
Thank you very much for your help!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back