• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag inquiry~

justine03

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2010), Camino Fisterra (2010 & 2012), Voie du Puy (2012), Camino del Norte (2012), Camino Primitivo (2012), Camino Portuguese (2012)
Hey fellow pilgrims,
I'm wondering what an appropriate sleeping bag might look like for a casual summer hike from Le Puy to Santiago, from late May to mid-August. I might also bring a tent so would need to take camping into consideration. Thanks for your help!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Justine, I did not take camping gear walking from Le Puy to Pamplona, but wished I had. I did take it for my second Camino, Pamplona to Santiago and beyond, but the Frances was not really suitable for camping out.

For example, if I'd had camping gear on the Chemin du Puy, I would have been able to do the Cele variant (accommodation was all booked out by a large French holidaying group.) Also, I could have stayed in camping areas adjacent to gites, which would have enabled me to stay near friends but away from their snoring (snoring, alas, being a very big issue with me).

I think the fact that the Le Puy route doubles as the GR65 makes it a touch unpredictable for accommodation, and camping gear - in my case, just a sil nylon tarp and short concertina mat - can give options. Not that one should worry too much about accommodation on the Chemin du Puy.

For a sleeping bag, I'd favour a light down mummy, since I experienced freezing conditions in May in the Bearn, though I expected heat to be the biggest prob after the Aubrac. A bag like that is versatile: unzipped, it can be used as bedding indoors. I dare say there are new products that will serve as well or better, but I would avoid bulk without underestimating the chances of cold weather.

Hey, the main thing is you are going to do both Caminos in one go. My first Camino friends out of le Puy were quebecois who did the whole thing without a break. (Like most members of the human species, they moved a lot faster than me.)

What an experience! I am truly excited for you.

Rob

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back