• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag issues

MissyG

Time of past OR future Camino
June 10-June 30
How important is having down feathers in your bag during the summer (June)? There are far cheaper sleeping bags that don't have down.
That being said- does anyone know where I can find a cheap ultra lite sleeping bag? ( that is cheaper than 300 dollars) Preferably the Western Mountaineering "mitylite". I have looked on Amazon, Craiglist, locally, etc all too expensive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How important is having down feathers in your bag during the summer (June)? There are far cheaper sleeping bags that don't have down.
That being said- does anyone know where I can find a cheap ultra lite sleeping bag? ( that is cheaper than 300 dollars) Preferably the Western Mountaineering "mitylite". I have looked on Amazon, Craiglist, locally, etc all too expensive.

Down saves weight and has a tremendous warmth to weight ratio, but during summer months in a warm to hot climate, synthetic fills in a bag won't weigh a lot because the amount of insulation needed is highly reduced. Look for a cheap synthetic filled sleeping bag in the 55 degree Fahrenheit range.

Down saves weight and has a tremendous warmth to weight ratio, but during summer months in a warm to hot climate, synthetic fills in a bag won't weigh a lot because the amount of insulation needed is highly reduced. Look for a cheap synthetic filled sleeping bag in the 55 degree Fahrenheit range.
Thank you that is helpful. I am trying to stay away from synthetics, but you can't have everything. Is a cotton bag not going to work? Like literally a blanket with a zipper?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use a silk liner and this lightweight down throw blanket https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124593
It's big enough to tuck inside the silk liner to keep me warm but doesn't take much space or weight.
If you want a down bag this one is cheap and light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZKAC25/?tag=casaivar02-20
Thank you! Now all I need to do is read the reviews to see which one is lighter/better for the month of June. The tucking in thing is clever I think I will do that.

I got a Deuter Dreamlite 500 in Astorga for something like 60 Euro. It kept me decently warm on my late March camino a couple of years ago, and it's what I'm bringing with me next week on my early summer Camino. No, it's not down, but it packs down to the size of a water bottle and barely weighs anything. Also, it was cheap.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

Down saves weight and also backpack volume.

This company sells light sleeping bags : http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/down-sleeping-bags
I bought a "LiteLine 200" and had it delivered to France. Good value for money. I don't know if they sell outside of Europe.

Refer also to various threads in this forum about the need to carry a sleeping bag in summer.

You don't need a down sleeping bag. I bought a light (600g) synthetic one from here for my first caminos http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/1-season-sleeping-bags/
Don't know if they sell outside the UK though.
Don't get me wrong, I love my down sleeping bag but it was very expensive. I bought it to minimise weight (and for comfort in the tent) as I was carrying camping equipment over long distances. Definitely not needed in Spain (imho).

Last edited:
I bought my goose down from Allie express rrather cheap ultra lightweight and small. Its great cant weight to ise it. Im going in june too btw

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Over the years, a silk liner and a blanket from the albergues was all we needed. ( June / late September early October)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So many choices!

Was or is this snugpak good enough for the month of June? I am starting in Logrono, by the way.

Well, I really don't know! Normally in June is pleasantly hot without being scorchio and no sleeping bag is needed, a rectangular liner is enough .. but with our current unpredictable weather? who knows!! Comfort is 7C 45F and low is 2C 36F - June is usually gorgeous and warm - but who can say??

As always, if you see from other threads about the same thing, it greatly depends on how well you tolerate temperature when sleeping. Everyone is different so people can only give their experience, which may or may not match yours.

I only bring a silk liner in April, May and September and never needed to carry more. The very few times I was cold in albergues, either they had blankets or I wore long pants and a t-shirt in the liner. My wife gets cold much easier but was just able to do the same as I did in April / May on the Norte / Primitivo which is certainly colder (1-5 degrees) than the Frances in summer. Her liner is different though: Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Liner.

As always, if you see from other threads about the same thing, it greatly depends on how well you tolerate temperature when sleeping. Everyone is different so people can only give their experience, which may or may not match yours.

I only bring a silk liner in April, May and September and never needed to carry more. The very few times I was cold in albergues, either they had blankets or I wore long pants and a t-shirt in the liner. My wife gets cold much easier but was just able to do the same as I did in April / May on the Norte / Primitivo which is certainly colder (1-5 degrees) than the Frances in summer. Her liner is different though: Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Liner.
Does your wife pre-treat her liner or is it naturally bug repellent?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took a Snugpak too, and it was perfect for me. I walked in September.

I have been on the Camino since May 13. No sleeping bag. Just a liner. Not a problem at all. So many people in a room it gets warm in the night.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My "system" of small ultralight blanket with silk liner worked perfectly for me in August /September. I would not have wanted a full sleeping bag because many nights were quite warm, and all I needed was the silk. I wouldn't have wanted to be inside a sleeping bag, but I do like to have some sort of cover on me, especially in a dorm situation. On those hot nights I used my down blanket as insulation between the silk liner and the plastic covered mattresses.

Have a look at the Ecoopro light weight bags available on Amazon for less than $30 and under 2 pounds.

I bought one. Came yesterday. Haven't tried it yet but it looks like it will work for summer on the CF.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have a look at the Ecoopro light weight bags available on Amazon for less than $30 and under 2 pounds.

I bought one. Came yesterday. Haven't tried it yet but it looks like it will work for summer on the CF.
That's still at least a pound more than my liner/blanket combo, which comes in at about 12 ounces.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@trecile and others: The often mentioned Black Diamond down duvet/blankets are large, cheap and warm and one of them will make two small blankets weighing about 220g - well worth taking and about the width of a silk liner. I will be taking it this summer!

@trecile and others: The often mentioned Black Diamond down duvet/blankets are large, cheap and warm and one of them will make two small blankets weighing about 220g - well worth taking and about the width of a silk liner. I will be taking it this summer!
The costco duvets were my discovery two years ago now I have taken mine one for two Caminos now. They are great, but...

1. as they arw meant to be used as a throw they not very long, so they will work well as a blanket for the shorter ones amongst us. I am 165 cm/5'4".

2. they are slippery amd tend to get away from you at night. Not too bad if you are on a bottom bunk, but if you have a top one you either have to climb down and then back up to fetch it, or go without. Which is why I had some snap bottons added to mine that corespond with snap buttons on my liner. Just one row, so that I can push the throw away during the night if I am getring too warm.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Anemone del Camino - my half a one is about 90 x 155 cms, which is pretty perfect for a light summer camino for me. I also have a few that we use as sofa blankets in the cold months. Yes, they are very slippery so I will put snaps on it and the silk bag so they can be used together or separately. Thank you and others who told the forum about these things though, they are unbeatable for the price!

She did, true - but don't you think that she might also be interested in a wider range of sleeping cover options???

I certainly am.

@trecile - could you give me a link to your lightweight blanket? thanks.
Liner at REI: $65-70 plus
Down Quilt: : $74
Weighs in at 12 oz.

vs

Ecoopro bag at Amazon: $27
Weighs: 1.65 #

Her choice

I found out about the Costco down blankets after I had already purchased my Montbell blanket. I have however cut down a Costco blanket for my friend, who will be joining me this year. I made two button holes on her silk liner and sewed buttons onto the blanket. It makes it possible to button it over top, or inside the liner. I used some half inch satin ribbon and a zigzag stitch to finish off the edge where I cut it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used the North Face Lynx sleeping bag for my Camino. It has poly fill. The cost was around $150USD. It worked out perfectly. You don't need down for the Camino and you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get a suitable sleeping bag.

I found out about the Costco down blankets after I had already purchased my Montbell blanket. I have however cut down a Costco blanket for my friend, who will be joining me this year. I made two button holes on her silk liner and sewed buttons onto the blanket. It makes it possible to button it over top, or inside the liner. I used some half inch satin ribbon and a zigzag stitch to finish off the edge where I cut it.
Your'e a genius. Wish I had these creative skills- maybe creativity will be magically re-awakened on the camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.