• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag? LePuy- Moissac in May

howlingmouse

Hello,
Could anyone tell me if its worthwhile taking a summer sleeping bag (~700g synthetic) on this section? Would it be too cold for a lightweight bag to be much use anyways...or are the gites warm inside?
Any feedback on the cleanliness of blankets on this section of the walk?
We'll be taking a sleeping bag liner.

Many thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi howlingmouse!
The gites I stayed in were all well heated if it was cold, and the blankets in France are mostly very clean. I am always a bit 'nervous' about having no sleeping bag, but in fact, you could well get by with just a liner. The weather in May could still be quiet variable, but you might have some quite warm days by then, interspersed with some wet ones.
Margaret

Helo howlingmouse,

Although what Margaret says is no doubt quite true, I know that I wouldn't go on this leg of the Le Puy route without a summer weight sleeping bag. My sleeping bag only weighs 500 grams, and even though each of my Caminos have been in mid summer I still always take one. There were a couple of nights where I was glad of it even though it was August!. Remember that the first couple of weeks are at reasonably high altitudes which has a tempering effect on the temperature!

Cheers, Janet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jl said:
Helo howlingmouse,
Although what Margaret says is no doubt quite true, I know that I wouldn't go on this leg of the Le Puy route without a summer weight sleeping bag.
Cheers, Janet

I would always take a sleeping bag too Janet :wink: In my "general" travelling days I know I have experienced a few bitterly cold nights in some unheated hostels - one night in Turkey in March springs to mind especially well. So leaving a sleeping bag at home is never one of my options!! But having said that, I think I mostly used my sleeping sheet with the blankets provided in the gites in France.
Margaret

Hello again,
Thanks very much for your help Margaret and Janet. As we want to keep our weight down to save our joints/feet etc we might walk without one.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back