• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag liner sufficient?

Ana Guanabaa

Time of past OR future Camino
considering (2018)
Hi all,

I'll be doing the last 100 km of the camino portugués in late July, staying mostly (or always) at albergues. How hot should I anticipate it to be at night, and would a sleeping bag liner or doubled sheet that I sew up be sufficient? Do most albergues provide bedding and blankets? Do many avoid using them for fear of bedbugs?

I'm going with my young son, so will be carrying most of his things as well as my own, so weight is an issue, but we won't be doing that many km daily.

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

I'll be doing the last 100 km of the camino portugués in late July, staying mostly (or always) at albergues. How hot should I anticipate it to be at night, and would a sleeping bag liner or doubled sheet that I sew up be sufficient? Do most albergues provide bedding and blankets? Do many avoid using them for fear of bedbugs?

I'm going with my young son, so will be carrying most of his things as well as my own, so weight is an issue, but we won't be doing that many km daily.

Thanks!
Hi there i haven't done a Camino in July but i expect that a liner will be quite adequate. I camino'd in late March this year which was exceptionally cold and snowy. I was quite fine without a sleeping bag. Most Alberges i stayed at would provide a blanket in the very cold places. You can wear clothing in the liner for warmth. I actually took 2 liners and at the start i used both simultaneously but as i went one just one was sufficient. I also took a separate polyester throw which is an option, but i didn't need it and left it behind on the second night. Always use a liner and go for the slightly dearer alberges where you will have better bug protection. all alberges provide some sort of bottom sheet or mattress protector. The cheapest 'muncipal'alberges used paper bottom sheets which tear easily so avoid them. The best alberges have freshly laundered sheets but will be a few euros more expensive.

Its a great challenge for you with a child so i agree take your time. Most Spanish pilgrims i saw with children with or without children did not carry their backpacks. I would consider sending luggage forward each day for a few euro. Buon Camino!

Late July will be hot , probably hotter than you are used to . A liner is more than enough .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We just returned from walking the Coastal route. A liner was more than adequate. No sign of bedbugs at all! It would be good to make sure your liner has a fresh spray of permethrin if not new. Also spray your backpack inside and out. The Coastal route was absolutely beautiful, just some larger distances between food and lodging. So plan carefully.

Yes a liner is most appropriate. It can be used as a simple duvet, or a cover to sleep upon in hot weather. Here is the one I use and recommend to everyone...

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

I recommend the rectangular shaped micro-fiber bag. It is cool in warm weather, warm in cool weather, and can be machine washed. Mine is folded into a 3-liter or one gallon ziplock bag and rides at the very bottom of my rucksack. I do not use it each day, but it is there when I need it.

Also, this bag comes with a full-separating zip on two sides. Two same size bags can be joined to form a double sleeper sack for a couple. Plus, the full separating zip is a unique feature NOT FOUND on most other liners. As a 50+ year old male who needs to get up many times each night, this ias NOT to be understated.

This firm is in the US. I do not know if there are overseas stockists. Try a Google or Bing search. I just ran this search, specifically for the UK, This item IS available through Amazon.co.uk. Good luck...

Hope this helps.

I walked in September and October from Lisbon. I got to the Barcelos which is about 10 days out I think sometime in mid-October. Slept every night in a silk sleep sack. I don't remember if I ever had to put on my under armor top. But I don't think so. A silk sleep sack is super light and just roll it up every morning and stick it in the sack. I don't remember it being really expensive. I have used it on all three of my camino and will use it again in September on the Norte

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.