• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag liner

bchikergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept2014)
Partial Frances (July 2016)
Via Augusta (April 2019)
My Camino will be from September 13 til the end of October, 2014. Will I need a liner for my sleeping bag... or will the bag be sufficient? Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whether it is cold enough or not, I will be taking a liner sprayed with Permethion (sp) to keep those nasty Bed Bugs away.....

Can't you just spray the sleeping bag?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sleeping bag liner is intended to keep your bag cleaner as its easier to wash the liner. Its also intended to increase comfort for you while in the bag.

In those albergues that are kept quite warm you will want to use the liner only.

I would suggest to take a very light weight sleeping bag and leave the liner at home. Whilst a liner is handy during very long tours (washing and drying it is easier than washing and drying your sleeping bag) you don't really need it imo. Buen Camino! SY
My Camino will be from September 13 til the end of October, 2014. Will I need a liner for my sleeping bag... or will the bag be sufficient? Thanks!

Hey - all going to plan, that's when I'll be going back for my second Camino! My first was in April / May this year, and I took both a liner and a sleeping bag. I was overly hot most nights - albergue dorms mostly get warm in the wee hours - so this time I'm going to take just the liner and see how I go. I'll be interested in the replies of others who know more about walking in autumn!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, only ever needed a liner in Sept/ Oct, even on the Salvador and Primitivo. The albergues have blankets if you get cold, though you may have to ask for one .
And you'll save yourself carrying the extra weight, and create a bit more space!
Buen camino,
Helen

I just completed my Camino Sept. 24-Oct. 28 and I took a small sleeping bag. Early on a liner would have been fine, but in mid to late October the pilgrims with liners were hoping to find blankets in the albergues. I even put a blanket on top of my sleeping bags a couple of times, but I tend to get cold at night. I bought a Marmot at REI for under $75.

Like Helen, I used my silk liner most of the times. I had a light fleece liner as well, and when needed, layering both was enough. Walked Sept/Oct 2012. Ingrid

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always carry a liner. I have a down bag and I'd much rather clean the liner than the bag, so it helps extend the life of the sleeping bag. Five ounces is a small weight to carry to sleep in silk every night!

Hi. I walked from September 4th through October 17th 2013. I LOVED my sleep system.
"Sea to Summit" Silk Traveler Liner (with built in pillow case) and a "Montbell" Spiral Down Hugger Sheet, (which is a very light down liner). Together they weigh 1.2 lbs. (19.8 oz.). I was always comfortable and happy for the added warmth as the days got cooler.

Phillypilgrim, I've been looking at the Montbell down sheet. Have you ever washed it? How did it do?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes. I washed it when I got home, all is well!! I recommend it!

Yes. I washed it when I got home, all is well!! I recommend it!

Thanks! Much appreciated.

EDIT I should maybe mention that someone here, possibly Methodist Pilgrim or Falcon, made me aware of Hannah-Toni silk liners on ebay, and I ordered one, which I use even for regular hotel travel. They are a lot cheaper than the Sea to Summit liner and very nice quality, although the opening isn't as long as I'd like--need to fix that. But they're only about $20USD. You need to read the description carefully, though, if you want pure silk. They also sell something called tru-silk, which isn't, of course.

Last edited:
Hi. I walked from September 4th through October 17th 2013. I LOVED my sleep system.
"Sea to Summit" Silk Traveler Liner (with built in pillow case) and a "Montbell" Spiral Down Hugger Sheet, (which is a very light down liner). Together they weigh 1.2 lbs. (19.8 oz.). I was always comfortable and happy for the added warmth as the days got cooler.
Hi Philly!! I liked your info so I did some googlling and see that both items get rave reviews. There is some discussion regarding the silk liner tearing easily. Did you have that concern with it and also was it difficult to stuff back in its compression sack in the morning? Thanks for the great ideas. Ed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
These are great ideas, thanks so much for the feedback!

HalfDomeOrBust, No rips and easy to squish down into the compression bag each morning! Fit easily into the bottom of my "Osprey Tallon 33" backpack.
(Which I also LOVED).

HalfDomeOrBust, No rips and easy to squish down into the compression bag each morning! Fit easily into the bottom of my "Osprey Tallon 33" backpack.
(Which I also LOVED).
Thank you for your reply. There are some hikers that have had problems in reviews. I suspect they are false claims. Thx again. Ed

€83,-
(Which I also LOVED).
Speaking of backpacks, I've been looking at the Osprey Talon 33, but it doesn't have a bottom compartment for my sleeping bag; you'd have to empty the whole pack every night to get at the sleeping bag, correct? Seems like it would be a bit of a hassle?

bchikergirl, Not really a hassle. Everyone pretty much empties out their bag. I used medium sized zip lock bags for groups of items, so you are really emptying out a few of these, (one for toiletries, one for underwear, socks etc.).

This is an interesting thread. For those who tend to be cold while sleeping, the bag and liner combo would be the preferred option. I tend to be HOT at night and will often wear only a sheet in the dead of Minnesota winters. Key is to know your own body's needs I believe.

For those who are interested in links to several of the above mentioned products:

I looked into the MontBell spiral down liner, which is an amazing 13.8 oz! But costs $199.99. Here's a link: http://www.backcountrygear.com/montbell-ul-spiral-down-hugger-thermal-sheet-gunmetal.html

Here's a link to the Sea to Summit silk travel liner with pillow insert $64.95: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NQQ4X8/?tag=casaivar02-20

Here's a nice one by TETON, weight 12oz and is rectangle - I personally cannot sleep in anything that is mummy. This one only costs $24.02! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EPRMIO/?tag=casaivar02-20

This is the "liner" I'm taking. I plan to walk in Spring 2013 and tend to be hot at night. This is called a fleece liner but it feels more like a lightweight sleeping bag and weighs just under 1 lb. Cost $21.44. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001916XG4/?tag=casaivar02-20

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We hiked this year from 16 September to 30 October and if I had to do it over, I would only use my specially treated sheet and a sleeping bag liner. With almost every hostel full, the rooms were always way to warm. Heavy breathing...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey - all going to plan, that's when I'll be going back for my second Camino! My first was in April / May this year, and I took both a liner and a sleeping bag. I was overly hot most nights - albergue dorms mostly get warm in the wee hours - so this time I'm going to take just the liner and see how I go. I'll be interested in the replies of others who know more about walking in autumn!
How was the weather on your trip! I am leaving in April 8th 2014 from SJPP. Wonder if I shud count on more rain? Thanks DebR

There is much discussion on this forum about sleeping bags and liners. I have done 3 caminos, and backpacking around Asia and Africa for many years. I have always used a silk liner, principally to keep my sleeping bag clean. My 'latest' is 15 years 0ld but this years it ripped, but it did last 14 years without any damage. My sleeping bag is goose down - warmest for weight - and weighs 600 gms. I have walked Caminos twice in Sept/Oct and at first the liner is enough, but by Oct it is getting colder and the bag (with liner) was used. All the contents in my backpack are in waterproof bags, both to keep things dry and for organisation. In my opinion, if there is no need to empty your backpack each night, then you are carrying too much. Every time my pack gets lighter, and this year weighed just under 6 kgs including enough water (600ml). I stop several times each day to fill up with safe drinking water. The longest stretch between water points is from Orisson to the top which is about 14kms, and on the Meseta there is a 17 km stretch. For those I would take a plastic bottle filled with tap water.
Brian B. I have experienced snow in May this year and also in Oct, and rain any time and any place - there are no hard and fast rules although Sept and Oct are reckoned to be the driest times of the year. Buen Camino

I just got back from the Camino, almost exactly the same dates you mention. I took a very light north face bag (55F) and a liner. The bag was fine up until Galicia (it got cold at night when I got there in mid October) where a few of the xunta's (govt albergues) said they didn't have blankets. A few times before Galicia, I would use the albergue's blankets on top of the sleeping bag when it got a bit too chilly for just my light bag. So the silk+cotton liner I brought came in very handy. But you may not need it if your bag is a warmer rated one than mine. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did Camino France September - October this year, and. Took only sleeping bag liner and was perfectly comfortable. It was mulch lighter, to Cary in my pack. I did not camp outside. Buen Camino!!

I just got back from the Camino, almost exactly the same dates you mention. I took a very light north face bag (55F) and a liner. The bag was fine up until Galicia (it got cold at night when I got there in mid October) where a few of the xunta's (govt albergues) said they didn't have blankets. A few times before Galicia, I would use the albergue's blankets on top of the sleeping bag when it got a bit too chilly for just my light bag. So the silk+cotton liner I brought came in very handy. But you may not need it if your bag is a warmer rated one than mine. Buen Camino!
Thanks! I'm also curious about the weather now; did you have a lot of rainy days?

Thanks! I'm also curious about the weather now; did you have a lot of rainy days?
Not too many rainy days. Although, I did have a couple of days filled with torrential rain that filled my waterproof Merrill's to the top! Which, in turn gave me the only blisters on my whole Camino. I recall that until Galicia, and especially in Santiago where it rained and was cold every day for the week I was there, the rest was blissfully cool (22C) and dry. And I was lucky to have a cool & cloudy few days on the Meseta. Make sure to bring a warm & lightweight polartek sweater for October. It was very comfortable, especially under rain gear when it was wet and cool.
I think the Fall is the best time of year to go, but don't tell too many people!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took a silk liner as well - and a very low-weight Western Mountaineering sleeping bag (600 g). Walked in May, and many nights I only used the liner with the unzipped (open) sleeping bag (which had a long zip-up feature) as a cover. Very versatile. - And as I had packed my clothes in cloth bags (not rattling plastic), I would also always have a head pillow at hand.

annelise

Hi BrianB,

Hi there! My weather was pretty variable this year - about 28C the day I left Pamplona, but snowflakes and -5C ten days or so later when we left Burgos. Mostly it was fine for walking though; only one or two days that were really warm or really cold, and only a couple more that were really drenching (but lots of misty rain). Two days before Santiago, I actually made the mistake of saying, in slightly boastful tones, that I'd had everything but hail...and then got a small, cheerful hailstorm literally two km from the cathedral itself! Moral of my story: expect everything! Buen Camino!!

DebR

We're leaving in mid-March. I'm aiming for a balance between warmth and weight. Because I don't have the funds for an ultralight sleeping bag, I'm going to bring a silk liner and a down throw (smaller than a full blanket, but big enough to cover me fully). I think it'll be about 850 grams for the liner and the blanket together. (Yes, I do sometimes gaze and drool at the 600 gram down bags that cost way more than I can permit at this time.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took a silk liner as well - and a very low-weight Western Mountaineering sleeping bag (600 g). Walked in May, and many nights I only used the liner with the unzipped (open) sleeping bag (which had a long zip-up feature) as a cover. Very versatile. - And as I had packed my clothes in cloth bags (not rattling plastic), I would also always have a head pillow at hand.

annelise
Exactly what I am planning to do as well.........

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.