• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag Liner

Peter Barker

My dream is to do the long walk.
Time of past OR future Camino
In the future is my plan. Hopefully sooner than later.
I'm been looking around for a Sleeping Bag Liner and getting confused.
I need help in working out what weight should it be.

Any help would be great. Ta

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there!
I'm also in Australia, and got silk liners from Trek Silk. They weigh 175g.
Mine is this one: http://www.silkliners.com/orange-extra-large-single-art-silk-sleeping-bag-liner/

I went for the 'extra large' because the normal ones were too narrow, even for a small person (I'm 1.50m, 52kg).
They also sell on Amazon and other online platforms - it's worth checking which one offers cheaper shipping.

Hi, Peter.

First, decide how warm your sleeping kit needs to be. If you are walking in hot/warm weather and really only need a liner, then the weight will depend on two things: the type of material it is made from, and the size of the liner that will fit you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Peter.

First, decide how warm your sleeping kit needs to be. If you are walking in hot/warm weather and really only need a liner, then the weight will depend on two things: the type of material it is made from, and the size of the liner that will fit you.

My plan is August/ Sept 2019

Be aware that ' art silk 'is actually rayon . The 'art ' is short for artificial . Nothing really wrong with that but it is an annoying deception .
Polypropylene liners are less clingy in hot weather and not too much heavier .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do you think a bed liner is enough if I'm walking the Camino Primitivo late September? Or will I be cold?

Be aware that ' art silk 'is actually rayon . The 'art ' is short for artificial . Nothing really wrong with that but it is an annoying deception .
Polypropylene liners are less clingy in hot weather and not too much heavier .

Thank-you I had no idea of the different types.

Hi there!
I'm also in Australia, and got silk liners from Trek Silk. They weigh 175g.
Mine is this one: http://www.silkliners.com/orange-extra-large-single-art-silk-sleeping-bag-liner/

I went for the 'extra large' because the normal ones were too narrow, even for a small person (I'm 1.50m, 52kg).
They also sell on Amazon and other online platforms - it's worth checking which one offers cheaper shipping.

So glad I saw your post! We have silk liners that we bought in Vietnam for $2. They are quite spacious and weigh 180gm. I thought it was too heavy and wondered if we should trim it down but Ian is a big man, so I’m glad to see that someone else has one of that weight

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you think a bed liner is enough if I'm walking the Camino Primitivo late September? Or will I be cold?
I think it will be enough. I only take the double/extra large silk liner. I used in on the Primitivo in March 2016 during the snow storms. There is always a blanket or 10 close by for additional warmth. The space and weight saving is so worth it not to mention the comfort factor of sleeping in a silk 'coccoon'.

We have silk liners that we bought in Vietnam for $2. They are quite spacious and weigh 180gm. I thought it was too heavy and wondered if we should trim it down but Ian is a big man, so I’m glad to see that someone else has one of that weight

My last Camino was a CP in a very hot April, so I'm glad I took only this liner instead of adding +600g from my sleeping bag! :D

The only night that was slightly colder I wore an extra shirt while sleeping and it was all good.

And yes, mine is 'artificial silk' (more than 50% artificial, according to the tag), but it is very comfortable, light, easy to fold. I just recommend washing the artificial ones before taking them on the trip, as some of the colour can come off, and stain your already battled pilgrim clothes!

Check out MEC, Mountain Equipment co-op out of Canada. They have a sleeping bag that we got that was perfect for our sept/Oct camino in 2017. It was light, but had a quilted portion on one side, and a single layer on the other, so we could put either side up depending on what kind of warmth we needed. It was so perfect for unpredictable weather, with being light weight. I will look on our bags to see if I can get more info.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm been looking around for a Sleeping Bag Liner and getting confused.
I need help in working out what weight should it be.

Any help would be great. Ta

Just a random little thing, but this really caught me on my Norte last year. I was too cold in the summer, wh8ch sucked, but more than that, I wished I had known how much I hated the feeling of silk on my skin before I bought a silk sack. I got bed bugs once, on the one night I *DIDN'T* use the blasted thing, but I often struggled to fall asleep because I was just so uncomfortable. PLEASE check this for yourself before you leave!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I prefer a silk liner to a sleeping bag - if sleeping indoors and not camping out. Dorms can get very warm at night with all those bodies pumping out heat as they metabolize the evening meal. If cold, you can sleep in your clothes. On my walks, the places I stayed at nearly always had extra bedding if I needed it.

My liner weighs 18 grams and rolls up to the size of a closed fist. A lightweight sleeping bag is much bulkier and would weigh roughly 800 grams. I prefer to travel as light as possible, with only a small pack so the liner is a better choice for me.

Thin liners can be fragile, so if you thrash about in the night, they can rip.

You can buy heavier liners that might be a good compromise choice, especially if you plan to walk in colder weathr. I have a Thermolite Reactor liner that weighs only 240 grams and rolls up into a cylinder 15 cm long and 10cm diameter when packed in its little case.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob M

I prefer a silk liner to a sleeping bag - if sleeping indoors and not camping out. Dorms can get very warm at night with all those bodies pumping out heat as they metabolize the evening meal. If cold, you can sleep in your clothes. On my walks, the places I stayed at nearly always had extra bedding if I needed it.

My liner weighs 18 grams and rolls up to the size of a closed fist. A lightweight sleeping bag is much bulkier and would weigh roughly 800 grams. I prefer to travel as light as possible, with only a small pack so the liner is a better choice for me.

Thin liners can be fragile, so if you thrash about in the night, they can rip.

You can buy heavier liners that might be a good compromise choice, especially if you plan to walk in colder weathr. I have a Thermolite Reactor liner that weighs only 240 grams and rolls up into a cylinder 15 cm long and 10cm diameter when packed in its little case.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob M

Sure was mate, thanks

A bivvy bag is another idea to think about. I have a Black Diamond Bivvy Bag that weighs about 300gm and rolls into a very compact cylinder. See:
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/tents-and-bivys-BD810212WASAALL1.html

I bought it for a walk on the Via Egnatia where I might have had to sleep rough. I had to cancel that walk after walking from Rome to Bari, so I don't have any user experience to share.

Bob M

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.