• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag liner

SusanH

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 2014
861F30DA-C67F-4549-8A0B-AACD10EFBCFE.jpeg
This liner is a seamless barrel shape and it has a lot of stretch to it. It’s very roomie, but I feel kinda confined when I get in. How the heck do you get out when you have to go to the bathroom?😳
I’d like to either add a zipper or a few ties on one side so it’s easier to get in and out of. It’s made out of a stretch knit material. I’m a wee bit nervous at the thought of cutting into it. I don’t want to wreck it. If you have any advice or experience with something like this, I’d love to hear from you!
Have you ever done something like this?
Will the stretch knit unravel?
Will a zipper make it too heavy?
Maybe Velcro?

Thank you!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would get some tear or wash away stabilizer — the kind used for machine embroidery. Baste a strip down the area where you plan to insert the zipper. Apply the zipper to the stabilized fabric. Tear or wash away the stabilizer when you are done. Just a thought. Liz

I make silk sleep sacks and I put a lightweight mesh tape invisible zipper in them. I install the zipper so that it's not "invisible" though, because I worry about the delicate silk fabric getting caught in the zipper teeth.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why didn't I think of that? Much better than hopping., 😊

if on the bottom bunk, just sit up and swing yerself out. Allow the shroud to drop to thy ankles. Step out and leg it to the lavvy! Do Not attempt this on top bunk if thy brains be not in gear lest thee plummet to the floor emitting foul curses and shrieks of pain when hitting aforesaid floor :) :) This will not endear thee to thy fellow pilgrims and by which time thou hast pissed thyself :):) This be a serious matter if like me verily thou art a sufferer of the PROSTATE PROBLEM! happy landings!

The Malingerer.

I use a Sea to Summit liner. I opened up a seam about 24 inches short of the bottom, sewed up each side and put some Velcro buttons on. Works great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use a silk sleep sack. Mine opens on one side about half way down. It makes it really easy to get in and out. It also is washable and dries really quickly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What brand do you have, lt56ny ?
Dreamsack. I have used it on 4 of my 5 Caminos. It is still in great shape. I just checked the their website. I bought mine 8 years ago for about $50. The one I bought is now $118 but maybe you can get it cheaper at other websites or stores. I bought mine in a travel store.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can you recall where you bought it? I have misplaced my Deuter bag liner and need to find a replacement.
Just edited my post bought it in a travel store my friend owns when I lived in Ashland, Oregon. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 69716
This liner is a seamless barrel shape and it has a lot of stretch to it. It’s very roomie, but I feel kinda confined when I get in. How the heck do you get out when you have to go to the bathroom?😳
I’d like to either add a zipper or a few ties on one side so it’s easier to get in and out of. It’s made out of a stretch knit material. I’m a wee bit nervous at the thought of cutting into it. I don’t want to wreck it. If you have any advice or experience with something like this, I’d love to hear from you!
Maybe Velcro?

Thank you!!!
3oo grams is a lot for a liner. My sleeping bag is only 450 grams and I think my silk liner, purchased at MEC is about 150. The liner has served me well on several caminos. It is a mummy style but very easy to get in and out of...that is a badly constructed sentence but you get the idea!!

3oo grams is a lot for a liner. My sleeping bag is only 450 grams and I think my silk liner, purchased at MEC is about 150. The liner has served me well on several caminos. It is a mummy style but very easy to get in and out of...that is a badly constructed sentence but you get the idea!!
I am a large woman... 250. A regular sleeping bag is too small for me. I took a sleeping sack from MEC (with ties) on my first Camino and bought a freeze once I began. This time, I wanted to be a bit more prepared. So, I have a big one but need to open it up so I can get about in it! Things that seem so simple like a sleeping bag, a liner, pants, getting a bottom bunk can be more of a challenge when you don’t “fit the norm”!!!

Dreamsack. I have used it on 4 of my 5 Caminos. It is still in great shape. I just checked the their website. I bought mine 8 years ago for about $50. The one I bought is now $118 but maybe you can get it cheaper at other websites or stores. I bought mine in a travel store.
How roomie is this dreamsack?!!

How roomie is this dreamsack?!!
I am 6’2” and about 210 pounds. I think they come in different lengths. If I remember correctly. There is enough room for me. As my wife will tell you I move around a lot at night so it doesn’t restrict me. I know she doesn’t object to my Caminos so she can sleep like a baby.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also hate to be confined within a sleepsack.
My solution was to buy a 80 cm wide 135 gr rectangular silk liner, cut it open to make it a sheet (with a pillow compartment) that generously covers all of the matress, and then use my unzipped 420 gr Sea2Summit down sleeping bag as a light quilt.
Works like a charm, no problem getting in or out!

IMG_4269.jpeg

I just ordered this Lone Wolf edition Endura Silk Liner. Based on reviews and other threads on this forum the brand is a safe choice, and I really like that is is extra wide, plus has a spot for pillow and side openings on both sides. 190 grams,and it’s a great price! (Best deal I found was on Etsy.) Has anyone used this?

I also bought a Sea to Summit traveller so I could try them both, but I am worried about feeling hemmed in by Sea to Summit, plus it costs more. Anyone have a comparison between ripstop silk (StS) and Endura Mulberry silk (LW) ? I haven’t found much information on that.

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 69716
Maybe Velcro?

Thank you!!!
Hi Susan,
I might be tempted to pin the zipper in place where you want it before you cut the fabric. So first Turn the liner inside out and crease it exactly where you want the zipper to run. Pin the crease in place. Use a very long basting stitch to sew about 1/2 inch from the zipper crease from the top of the liner down as far as your zipper will go. Be careful not to pull the fabric unevenly or too tightly so the knit doesn’t go all ‘wonky’ (technical term). Now cut along the fold/crease not quite to the end of the basting. You will need to pleat then sew the fabric just below where the zipper will end to get the fabric to close up below the zipper. . Iron the seam open only if the fabric will tolerate it. Pin the cut edges back away from the basting. Still from the inside, lay the zipper face down centered over the basting line and pin in place. Sew down one side across the bottom then up the other side. Use a zipper foot if you have one. Check to see you’re happy then carefully remove the basting. A number 5 coil zipper would probably do if you are careful not to pull or yank on it. You may need to be careful zipping so the fabric doesn’t get caught. If you’re worried, you could fold and sew the flaps back so they can’t catch in the zipper. Add a zipper pull so you can grab the zipper when half asleep.

I don't know the brand, but that's what I used, too - cut far enough down so getting out at night wasn't a problem.
If you do end up cutting yours, do the sewing before the cutting - if you feel you need to be able to seal it at all, I like the velcro buttons suggestion above - a stip of velcro would add much bulk and weight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 69716
Maybe Velcro?

Thank you!!!
Had the same problem. Took it to the cleaners who also do repairs and had it slit along the seam about half way down and the edges hemmed. Works fine. No need to seal it.

Had the same problem. Took it to the cleaners who also do repairs and had it slit along the seam about half way down and the edges hemmed. Works fine. No need to seal it.

Thank you! It looks like the opening is only part way down - maybe?

I think the opening is only partway down, but my hope is that it’s wide enough that one could open it further without feeling the need to zip it shut because there’s enough fabric. Good luck as you figure things out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.