• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag Liners

David T

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2014)

Camino Portuguese (May 2016)
I am walking the Camino in May/June is it worth bringing a micro fleece liner instead of a sleep bag?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I seem to be a minority on this, but I've never felt the need of a sleeping bag, and my caminos have always been in late autumn and winter. Most albergues have blankets and, if it's really cold, some merino base layers have always meant I've been comfortable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Similar for me, it started off warm enough, but the nights got colder as we travelled westward. At the end of May between Santiago and Finisterre it was freezing at night. I would not want to be without a bag and liner.

Last edited:
Sept/Oct 2012, I had a silk liner and a fleece liner. Thinking was that the silk liner was a prevention for bedbugs and felt good- nothing else. September I only used the silkliner to sleep in, and slept on top of the fleeceliner. - it was hot. October, I put the silk liner inside the fleece liner and it was enough to keep me warm. There was 1 night, I slept beside a window and had it slightly open, I used a blanket as well.

This system worked well for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a mixture of replies, which probably got you nowhere, David! It's the same with many camino questions - what suits one person may not suit another. I guess in a way, that's to be expected.
On past caminos I've been so hot in a sleeping bag, that I've had to unzip it, and keep my feet and legs out.
I set out in four days time for the Camino Ingles. This time I'm just taking a liner.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do ... and drop us a note and tell us, when you return.
Buen camino -

I am walking the Camino in May/June is it worth bringing a micro fleece liner instead of a sleep bag?

I'd say yeah, just the liner is enough.
I did the Camino last July/August without a sleeping bag or liner. Don't recommend it, but it's doable.
If you get a little cold at night, put on a fleece jacket if you have one.

I just got home from a March/April camino. I brought a silk liner and a down throw (big enough to cover me completely, but smaller than a twin-sized blanket). I wore long underwear (top and bottom) to bed, and most of the time, I ended up kicking the blanket off because I was too warm. I think there were only five nights (out of 36) when I slept under the blanket all night. Four of those nights, I could have used albergue blankets if I'd needed them. So I'd say that during my whole camino, there was only one night when I really needed my down blanket, in Granon. And even then, I probably could have put on a few more layers and slept well with just the silk liner.

Despite that, I think that I would still bring my blanket with me on a future camino. It's comforting to know that you're completely independent and will be able to sleep anywhere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a sleeping bag. Often it's too warm and I have to open it to stay comfortable.
But I would NOT leave it home: it's so nice after the (too cold...) shower to slip in and to feel the warmth coming back.
Yes, I know I could spare some weight, but it's really my "home" on the way.
And every time I look at it when preparing my pack, I remember some November nights where I was so happy to have it that I put it first in the pack.

I think everybody has his own weaknesses or preferences, mine is surely this small black cylinder of feathers...

Enjoy your camino,
Jacques-D.

Nothing beats a GOOD nights sleep. Shivering all night makes a terrible day of walking the next day. I'm taking a bag and pad next week. They don't weight that much.

What a mixture of replies, which probably got you nowhere, David! It's the same with many camino questions - what suits one person may not suit another. I guess in a way, that's to be expected.
On past caminos I've been so hot in a sleeping bag, that I've had to unzip it, and keep my feet and legs out.
I set out in four days time for the Camino Ingles. This time I'm just taking a liner.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do ... and drop us a note and tell us, when you return.
Buen camino -
I agree with Stephen...there are going to be a lot if different opinions. If you find that you normally sleep with a lot of blankets because you like to sleep warm, bring a sleeping bag. If you are the opposite and can't sleep when to warm...bring a sleep sack. I actually fit in the second category. I do have a lightweight blanket that I can use if needed and I can also use it as a picnic blanket. It is still smaller than a sleeping bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Stephen...there are going to be a lot if different opinions. If you find that you normally sleep with a lot of blankets because you like to sleep warm, bring a sleeping bag. If you are the opposite and can't sleep when to warm...bring a sleep sack. I actually fit in the second category. I do have a lightweight blanket that I can use if needed and I can also use it as a picnic blanket. It is still smaller than a sleeping bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
Good suggesties. Create layers.

The weather in May and early June is very changeable here in northern-Spain. For example it was 15 degrees in Celsius here in Pamplona today, but one week earlier it was 29 C. Navarra and Galicia can be still rainy and cold in late spring. I walked my Camino in June last year and a 600 grams sleeping bag worked for me perfectly.

Whilst the advice above is presented with all honesty, using May/June 2013 as an example of average weather conditions is not supported. May 2013 was the coldest May in Spain for nearly 40 years - it snowed in Madrid on 16th May (the start of bull fighting season). So it really depends upon whether you feel the cold. If you do feel the cold take a light-weight bag; yes there are bed bugs especially from June to Sep so the sleeping bag liner is a good idea. If you are walking this year as for reports on current weather conditions - and even if these fluctuate daily they might be a better guide. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This year is not nearly as cold as last. I am reporting from Mansilla de las Mulas, on my way into Leon. This is my second Camino Frances. The first was last year at the same time.

Last year I used a Snugpak "Traveller" sleeping bag I obtained from OutdoorsGB in the UK. Brilliant bag, weighing about 900 grams all-in.

This year I considered and developed a double liner, nested bag system with a cool max inner bag and a silk outer bag.

The two bags were fastened at the four corners using ping pong balls and elastic hair scrub give things. They are exactly like baby bungee cord loops. I use them for all kinds of things around my home.

After two nights in albergues; Orisson and Roncesvalles, I found the bag very comfortable but VERY difficult to get into and out of. So, I resorted to plan B - ALWAYS have a plan B in life.

At Pamplona, I went to the sporting goods department of the El Corte Ingles department store. For €65, I found a brilliant Altus (Spanish label) super light mummy bag weighing 600 grams all-in. Altus is the top-of-the-line Spanish outdoor equipment maker.

The bag fits me; I am a BIG guy 180 cm, 112 kg., and it separates to use as a quilt or to mate two bags. I think I am love with this bag. I even used it as a quilt in hostels where the heat is off and there are no extra blankets.

BTW, as I am writing this at 08:00 local time, it is -2 Celsius or 28 Fahrenheit outside. I did use the bag as a quilt last night.

On days I do not need the bag it occupies the lower, sleeping bag compartment of my Osprey Kestrel 48 rucksack. I do not use the included stuff sack, but I could.

I hope this helps someone.

Whilst the advice above is presented with all honesty, using May/June 2013 as an example of average weather conditions is not supported. May 2013 was the coldest May in Spain for nearly 40 years - it snowed in Madrid on 16th May (the start of bull fighting season). So it really depends upon whether you feel the cold. If you do feel the cold take a light-weight bag; yes there are bed bugs especially from June to Sep so the sleeping bag liner is a good idea. If you are walking this year as for reports on current weather conditions - and even if these fluctuate daily they might be a better guide. Buen Camino

Hi Mike , Des and I will start on Friday so I will let you know how the 200g bags we bought work out

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a related question, do the albergues provide pillows should I bring a pillow cover or purchase a travel pillow?

Buen Camino
Bill

I have a related question, do the albergues provide pillows should I bring a pillow cover or purchase a travel pillow?

Buen Camino
Bill

Albergues have pillows and most provide some type of pillow cover, but if you have a lightweight pillow case that may be worth packing with you.

Thank you, I still have about six weeks to go, but the jitters have already started.

Buen Camino
Bill

€46,-
Bill, the pillows are usually long and narrow, so I take a very thin bolster pillowslip (18x38" or so) that also holds my 'valuables' at night. No jitters necessary--you will be able to buy anything you need along the way, or to send ahead anything you find you don't need!
Buen camino!

Forget the sleeping bag AND the liner, I'm bringing a Selk'bag! :rolleyes:
selk-bag-3g-wearable-sleeping-bag-xl.jpg

(Moderators, if these pics are too big and obnoxious, I won't be offended if you remove this post but I couldn't resist...finding these made my day because I needed a laugh!)

Last edited:
This year is not nearly as cold as last. I am reporting from Mansilla de las Mulas, on my way into Leon. This is my second Camino Frances. The first was last year at the same time.

Last year I used a Snugpak "Traveller" sleeping bag I obtained from OutdoorsGB in the UK. Brilliant bag, weighing about 900 grams all-in.

This year I considered and developed a double liner, nested bag system with a cool max inner bag and a silk outer bag.

The two bags were fastened at the four corners using ping pong balls and elastic hair scrub give things. They are exactly like baby bungee cord loops. I use them for all kinds of things around my home.

After two nights in albergues; Orisson and Roncesvalles, I found the bag very comfortable but VERY difficult to get into and out of. So, I resorted to plan B - ALWAYS have a plan B in life.

At Pamplona, I went to the sporting goods department of the El Corte Ingles department store. For €65, I found a brilliant Altus (Spanish label) super light mummy bag weighing 600 grams all-in. Altus is the top-of-the-line Spanish outdoor equipment maker.

The bag fits me; I am a BIG guy 180 cm, 112 kg., and it separates to use as a quilt or to mate two bags. I think I am love with this bag. I even used it as a quilt in hostels where the heat is off and there are no extra blankets.

BTW, as I am writing this at 08:00 local time, it is -2 Celsius or 28 Fahrenheit outside. I did use the bag as a quilt last night.

On days I do not need the bag it occupies the lower, sleeping bag compartment of my Osprey Kestrel 48 rucksack. I do not use the included stuff sack, but I could.

Do you have any details of this bag, I cannot find anything this weight by Altus online. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you have any details of this bag, I cannot find anything this weight by Altus online. Thanks

Greetings from Santiago de Compostela! After walking in from my Camino on 30 May, and resting for the weekend, I started working on 2 June as a volunteer AMIGO at the Pilgrim Office? where the Compostrlas are issued. It is very rewarding work, but oh, so tiring. I am working with a truly dedicated team of volunteers. I hope to be back in future. I am here until 16 June.

The information I have is from this page on the Altus.es web site:
http://www.altus.es/SACO_SUPERLIGHT_600S_TECNOFIB_3200001_var.aspx

I hope this helps. The bag is best one I've had yet, while I prefer a semi-rectangular design, like the Snugpak, the only way to shave weight is to go yo the traditional mummy shape.

I can endorse it without reservation...for whatever that might be worth.

Last edited:
Greetings from Santiago de Compostela! After walking in from my Camino on 30 May, and resting for the weekend, I started working on 2 June as a volunteer AMIGO at the Pilgrim Office? where the Compostrlas are issued. It is very rewarding work, but oh, so tiring. I am working with a truly dedicated team of volunteers. I hope to be back in future. I am here

The information I have is from this page on the Altus.es web site:
http://www.altus.es/SACO_SUPERLIGHT_600S_TECNOFIB_3200001_var.aspx

I hope this helps. The bag is best one I've had yet, while I prefer a semi-rectangular design, like the Snugpak, the only way to shave weight is to go yo the traditional mummy shape.

I can endorse it without reservation...for whatever that might be worth.
Thank you Tom. I am 6' 4", do you think it would fit me?
Enjoy Santiago.

Last edited:

I have a snugpak traveler too. Love it. Only 850 g and less than $100 on Amazon. Perfect 3 season bag.

I can't do mummy. I get too claustrophobic. The snugpak is rectangular and opens up to a flat blanket.

I may take a thin, light sheet or silk to sleep on top of, since I usually use my bag as a blanket.

(When camping, I just sleep directly on top of my mat, but sleeping directly on top of some refugio mattresses or even sheets is not always advisable or hygienic.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Enjoy Santiago.
Tom, this information is very helpful for me as well as I have been struggling to put together a sleep system that works for me. I've evaluated several and nothing has been quite right.

The main issues have been either weight and/or temperature; in a silk liner with microfleece blanket and all my clothes on including my thermals, I am freezing once the temperature dips below 18C (64F). I experienced the same thing with the Nanowave 55 (with silk liner), which weighs 680g + 200g for the liner. Of course there is no way of knowing how warm or cold it will be inside the albergues regardless of what the outside temperature is so I've been uncertain of what course to take; if they are all over 18C, I will be fine with the liner but if not, a sleeping bag will be necessary.

El Corte Ingles is very near to the Conda bus station in Pamplona so I may just wander over and pick one up when I arrive.

Thank you.

The main issues have been either weight and/or temperature; in a silk liner with microfleece blanket and all my clothes on including my thermals, I am freezing once the temperature dips below 18C (64F). Of course there is no way of knowing how warm or cold it will be inside the albergues regardless of what the outside temperature is so I've been uncertain of what course to take; if they are all over 18C, I will be fine with the liner but if not, a sleeping bag will be necessary.
There will be many higher elevations where the temperature is below your limit. The hot ones will be ungodly hot! They are at their absolute worst when someone keeps closing windows and halting the circulation of air. I take a little $1 paper fan for when I have to move air across my face.

I think you are a sleeping bag person. You will not need a rating below about 40F, so find a light one in that range. In the hot albergues you probably will sleep on top of it. Remember that it is the exposed limb that gets bed bug bites! Even a permethrin sleeping bag treatment will not protect the exposed limb. I have used DEET as a backup measure, but it less effective against bed bugs than it is against mosquitoes.

Enjoy Santiago.

The bag length is 210 cm from bottom to top. Do the math. I am a hair under 6 feet and it is comfortable. Not roomy, but comfortable.

I hope this helps. But a tall person like you might be a tough fit.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There will be many higher elevations where the temperature is below your limit. The hot ones will be ungodly hot! They are at their absolute worst when someone keeps closing windows and halting the circulation of air. I take a little $1 paper fan for when I have to move air across my face.

I think you are a sleeping bag person. You will not need a rating below about 40F, so find a light one in that range. In the hot albergues you probably will sleep on top of it. Remember that it is the exposed limb that gets bed bug bites! Even a permethrin sleeping bag treatment will not protect the exposed limb. I have used DEET as a backup measure, but it less effective against bed bugs than it is against mosquitoes.
I appreciate your input and agree with your assessment. (And believe that all the pilgrims in an albergue in an evening should be able to vote on whether or not to leave a window open - despite getting cold easily, I love having fresh cool air while sleeping.)

I believe that all the pilgrims in an albergue in an evening should be able to vote on whether or not to leave a window open
That is tough in ten languages. Generally, the person next to the window dictates its position!!! It is one of the unwritten "possession is nine tenths of the law" rules...;)

That is tough in ten languages. Generally, the person next to the window dictates its position!!! It is one of the unwritten "possession is nine tenths of the law" rules...;)
Hmm, in that case, I will do my best to grab that spot! :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For three caminos, all in Sept/Oct I've only taken a silk liner, and used the blankets provided in albergues. Sometimes you need to ask for a blanket, if they're not left out. I never got bedbugs from using blankets, and I know some people see them as unhygienic , but to me it was worth not having to carry the extra weight of a bag. It's a personal choice. But I've read recently on the forum that fewer albergues are providing blankets, don't know how true that is ?

But I've read recently on the forum that fewer albergues are providing blankets, don't know how true that is ?

Anecdotal only, and it probably is not true. In a thread where pilgrims can give specifics, only about 3 were reported as not having blankets, and one was the new albergue in Roncesvalles, where I think they have added them. Leon and Arca do Pino were two others.

Just wanted to add to this thread. If you're planning on staying in hotels, I'd take a sleeping bag liner (super light and compact), at the very least, just as a precaution on the off chance you'll need to stay at an albuerge that doesn't have blankets, especially if you're walking in the colder months. My partner and I walked in March, 2017 and stayed in hotels the whole way so we didn't once need our liners, but were glad to have them as a backup. During warmer, summer months my understanding is that a liner is sufficient for albuerges. Otherwise, it seems pilgrims staying in albuerges have light-weight sleeping bags, but the thing I don't understand is why so many carry sleeping pads? There's almost no camping on the camino, but perhaps during the more popular months people sleep outside sometimes. Beyond that, a sleeping roll or pad seems to be a waste of weight and space to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did the first section of the Camino Frances in March and only brought a liner. In the 5 hostels I stayed in, all had blankets (in some you needed to ask for them though). I mostly just slept in the liner though and wore socks and my fleece jacket to bed, I was fine. I plan on doing more walking this summer and will only bring the liner.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.