• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag? Necessary? Type? Etc.

Kaiso

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
I'm beginning my Camino mid-May. I have a 3 season sleeping bag that packs pretty big and heavy. Fine for bicycle camping by I'd prefer not to carry it in a backpack. I visited REI and was completely lost by the types, options, etc. As this is my first Camino, I really don't know what the sleeping situations/weather/climate would require at this time of the year. I'm not planning on outdoor camping. I've seen debates here about liners vs bags and other suggestions. The REI guy seemed to divide the bags by temp. 40F, 55F, etc. So my question. Considering the dates of my walk May-June, do I need a Sleeping bag, and if so, viable for what temps? I might add, my body has always run hot. Suggestions?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I use a silk liner and very small down blanket. Mine is from Montbell, and a bit expensive, but I have since discovered the down blankets at Costco. I have cut them down to about the same size as my Montbell blanket for friends. Rather than using the blanket on top of the silk liner I tuck it inside. It has kept me warm enough.

I like the flexibility of my "system" because I wouldn't want to have anything heavy on top of me in the warmer months, but I do want something covering me. On really hot nights I put my blanket between the silk liner and the sometimes sticky vinyl covered mattress as an insulating layer.

My husband and I leave for our first Camino on April 30th. I have bought a silky/poly liner each and as "Trecile" said above, the light down quilt blanket same as Costco cut to size of liner, but as it is very slippery and easily would slide off during the night, I have added/sewn 6 x small velcro 1" square each corner and half way down lengths edge, to attach blanket to top for warmth, or bottom for insulation if hot. This cuts down on weight and leaves flexibility for controlling warmth.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let me start by being adamant about one thing - you won't need a three season bag.

I have carried a +5 deg C down bag in mid to late spring in 2010, 2014 and 2016. Each time, more places had blankets, and in 2016 I left in early May, so it was quite a bit warmer than leaving in late March. I needed to use the bag less than on the previous two occasions, often just opening it out an using it as a throw and sleeping in my liner. I would still take the bag for a spring walk, but would reconsider it if I started after mid-Jun for a summer walk.

I use a semi-rectangular bag. It is not the lightest, but I don't find the somewhat lighter mummy style bags comfortable, so I carry the extra weight. If you haven't used a mummy bag, see if you can try one out and make your own assessment.

Otherwise, I am with @RJM on this - find a light summer weight bag.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be traveling in September/October.
When visiting Australia recently, my parents went to a Decathlon store, and brought some 20 degree celcius sleeping bags. Will be okay for staying in hostels, cheap, and quite compact (perhaps I might get a compression bag for it). Paired with warm clothing and/or a lightweight sleeping bag liner, it might be a good choice.

Yes, between May and September that really is all the sleeping bag one needs on the Camino when staying in albergues, and at times during the warmer months you may actually be sleeping on top of it and not in it. I have done that more times than I can remember.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks
Yes, between May and September that really is all the sleeping bag one needs on the Camino when staying in albergues, and at times during the warmer months you may actually be sleeping on top of it and not in it. I have done that more times than I can remember.
Good advice 👍

I'm beginning my Camino mid-May. I have a 3 season sleeping bag that packs pretty big and heavy. Fine for bicycle camping by I'd prefer not to carry it in a backpack. I visited REI and was completely lost by the types, options, etc. As this is my first Camino, I really don't know what the sleeping situations/weather/climate would require at this time of the year. I'm not planning on outdoor camping. I've seen debates here about liners vs bags and other suggestions. The REI guy seemed to divide the bags by temp. 40F, 55F, etc. So my question. Considering the dates of my walk May-June, do I need a Sleeping bag, and if so, viable for what temps? I might add, my body has always run hot. Suggestions?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might want to get a bag that is good to 45 F and a silk liner for emergency’s.
Don’t forget that you can always wear a sweater, socks etc. All of my hiking- Lausanne-Rome, had lodging of some sort- mostly monasteries . Make sure you have something for your head!!

Lightweight sleep sack (mine is rectangular) and a down quilt. Packs very small and is lightweight. I try to avoid the albergue blankets when I can, because I suspect they rarely wash them. I have no evidence that bedbugs hang out in the blankets, but I don't want to find out.

I'll be traveling in September/October.
When visiting Australia recently, my parents went to a Decathlon store, and brought some 20 degree celcius sleeping bags. Will be okay for staying in hostels, cheap, and quite compact (perhaps I might get a compression bag for it). Paired with warm clothing and/or a lightweight sleeping bag liner, it might be a good choice.
Sounds like the same bag I bought to take with me for June doing Leon to SdC. It was very inexpensive, light, and being a cold sleeper I will just rely on using blankets also or wearing extra layers to bed. Fingers crossed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are usually blankets available and you really don't need a sleeping bag. However, as a personal preference, I never use the blankets provided and so always carry a sleeping bag.

I did Le Puy to Santiago 5 years ago, starting at the beginning of May. In Burgos, first part of June, I shipped my sleeping bag off and only used a silk liner. I regretted it for about the next week or so. So, for a mid-May start, if you're not going to use the blankets, I would take a sleeping bag.

However, now I use a goose down blanket with a silk liner. This is it: Nunatak Blanket. Nunatak is a cottage manufacturer in the US making high quality custom quilts. The smallest one weighs under 9 oz. The default is 40 F and I had mine made for 30 F and weighs just over a lb, less than half of my old sleeping bag. I do a lot of early Spring and late Fall hikes and that's why I opted for 30 F. However, if I had to do it over I would stick with 40. It is plenty warm. The blankets/quilts are completely customizable; make it warmer or cooler, larger, smaller, change the baffles, add cord attachments for mats, etc. Nunatak was great to work with. They are a small, local manufacturer (made in the US), so not cheap (but worth it) and this is their busiest time (people getting ready for the AT).

The silk liner is custom made based on an idea I saw here (tip of the hat to trecile).

I'm currently on the Camino Frances and have been using only a fleece liner from Sea to Summit. Has been fine as all the albergues have been heated and also provide blankets if needed

Depends on when you walk. I did Norte-Primitivo mid-June to early July. Had a 1 pound down bag. Too warm. Were I to do it over, I would look at sleeping bag liners. They weight 4-8 ounces depending on warmth. I would have it treated with permethrin before leaving as an anti-bed bug measure: https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx You may not run into bed bugs, but if you do and they get in your stuff, life on the road will be hell until you get rid of them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Let me start by being adamant about one thing - you won't need a three season bag.

I have carried a +5 deg C down bag in mid to late spring in 2010, 2014 and 2016. Each time, more places had blankets, and in 2016 I left in early May, so it was quite a bit warmer than leaving in late March. I needed to use the bag less than on the previous two occasions, often just opening it out an using it as a throw and sleeping in my liner. I would still take the bag for a spring walk, but would reconsider it if I started after mid-Jun for a summer walk.

I use a semi-rectangular bag. It is not the lightest, but I don't find the somewhat lighter mummy style bags comfortable, so I carry the extra weight. If you haven't used a mummy bag, see if you can try one out and make your own assessment.

Otherwise, I am with @RJM on this - find a light summer weight bag.

I used a very light Sea to Summit. I also had a silk liner.

I'll say it again:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BYZP96P/?tag=casaivar02-20

Looks like the price went up, was 60 last September, but guess that's the way things go. Packs down really small & weighs a pound. I used it more as a quilt than a sleeping bag, stuck my usually cold feet in the pocket, and was able to adjust the covering of my upper half according to how warm/cold I felt during the night.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll say it again:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BYZP96P/?tag=casaivar02-20

Looks like the price went up, was 60 last September, but guess that's the way things go. Packs down really small & weighs a pound. I used it more as a quilt than a sleeping bag, stuck my usually cold feet in the pocket, and was able to adjust the covering of my upper half according to how warm/cold I felt during the night.
I saw the claim that this was a 3-season bag and was thinking 'no, no, no ....'. But reading the specs it's similar to the +5 deg C bag I use. If you are comfortable with a mummy bag, this would be a good option in my opinion. The 3-season claim might just be advertising hyperbole!!

Thanks @gerip for sharing. I must have missed your earlier post on this, and now cannot see it in the thread. Has it been removed?

Most albergues have blankets, the only reason I carry a silk liner is for privacy and to avoid itchy wool blankets. Private facilities nomally have freshly washed sheets and blankets.

I saw the claim that this was a 3-season bag and was thinking 'no, no, no ....'. But reading the specs it's similar to the +5 deg C bag I use. If you are comfortable with a mummy bag, this would be a good option in my opinion. The 3-season claim might just be advertising hyperbole!!

Thanks @gerip for sharing. I must have missed your earlier post on this, and now cannot see it in the thread. Has it been removed?
@dougfitz
Hmmm. Now I think of it, it might have been in another thread. I think "three season" might be bit of an overstatement - three season indoors, but probably not in the great outdoors. I usually find that a room full of other folks feels really warm at night, and then I was quite comfortable, but on the few occasions when I was on my own I either had the heating up or my fleece hoodie on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.