• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag needed if staying in hotels rather than alberques?

gertrong415

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping for summer (2020)
Will be walking from September 7-19 and due to COVID, have decided to stay in hotels rather than albergues. I am thinking I might not need to bring a sleeping bag. I wonder what experienced pilgrims think.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In hotels I suspect you won’t, myself…I love my light bag, and would rather have it and not need it , etc. etc.
My concern would be if you needed to change plans for any reason you have limited your options . However, we used to say in the military…”Travel light, freeze at night”.
So afraid I have been of no value to you at all, except to say have a fantastic time!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In hotels I suspect you won’t, myself…I love my light bag, and would rather have it and not need it , etc. etc.
My concern would be if you needed to change plans for any reason you have limited your op. However, we used to say in the military…”Tavel light, freeze at night”.
So afraid I have been of no value to you at all, except to say have a fantastic time!
Will probably take a sleeping bag liner as emergency back up. Only a 2 week adventure in early September. Hopefully will not actually freeze. 🤪

I would say that, if you have all your accommodation booked and none of it is albergues, you will definitely not need a sleeping bag. But if you have not made bookings you might find that some locations with few accommodations are full when you arrive or attempt a last minute booking. Most of us in this forum, whoever can travel, seem to be going to walk caminos in September.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bedding has always been available. Same with Casa rurals. The pillows can really suck sometimes, though. :)
Yes, pillows-can suck. I always bring a pillow case to stuff with dirty clothes. This separates clean from dirty in your pack and can be repurposed as a pillow(but with clean clothing).

Yes, pillows-can suck. I always bring a pillow case to stuff with dirty clothes. This separates clean from dirty in your pack and can be repurposed as a pillow(but with clean clothing).
On more than one occasion i have used a stuff sack that contains my extra clothing :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will probably take a sleeping bag liner as emergency back up. Only a 2 week adventure in early September. Hopefully will not actually freeze. 🤪
I carried a silk sleeping bag liner in my backpack over large sections of the Camino Frances - I walk sections, like you apparently do this time. I don't avoid albergues but I avoid shared dormitories whenever and wherever I can and, in Spain at least, I always managed to sleep in private rooms in albergues, casa rurales and hotels. I never needed to pull the liner out of its small bag but on occasion I needed blankets for more warmth which were always available, either in the room or upon request. However, this may have changed due to Covid-19 related hygiene measures. So I think your decision to take a liner is a wise one. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Will be walking from September 7-19 and due to COVID, have decided to stay in hotels rather than albergues. I am thinking I might not need to bring a sleeping bag. I wonder what experienced pilgrims think.
If you are only staying in hotels then the sleeping bag is completely unnecessary.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I stayed in private albergues / casa rurals during our 2019 camino. Every place provided bed linens and towels, so not necessary. Same with soap and shampoo. We have confirmed reservations for private rooms with private bathrooms for our camino beginning mid-Sept. Bob

I'm a big fan of bringing a light sleeping bag. I used mine almost every night while staying in allergies. Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Frances route in September, October of 2017. Because I have sleep apnea, I required a power source each night for my sleeping apparatus. It would not be easy to find a bed in the albergues with a power outlet, so I arranged accommodation for the entire trip. I did not need a sleeping bag. I did carry a silk liner but never used it. If you are staying in hotels, you will not need a sleeping bag. A heavy backpack is a burden you want to avoid. Only take items you need, not those you might need. You can always purchase those items on the trail. Buen Camino.

If you are walking in early September you will without a doubt NEVER need a sleeping bag in a hotel. I have never been in a hotel/pension that not only had blankets/towels/linens but didn't have extra blankets in a drawer or closet. I have spent many months in Europe over the years, on and off the Camino and have never encountered anything different. I would never take a sleeping bag if I was walking and finishing anytime before the end of October. I would just use my sleep sack and those few days that may be chilly just wear extra clothes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked in the Fall of 2019 and stayed principally in hotels, Casa Rurals, etc. We each carried a .43 kg sleeping bag and used it on several occasions, especially in October as we approached/entered Galicia. One contributing factor is that we are desert dwellers and prefer things a bit warmer. Another contributing factor is that most of the hotels have their heaters on timers and the rooms were simply not warm enough for us (I.e., in the 16-20 C range). It really depends on the individual and what they're used to. Unless I am walking in July or August (not likely), I'll still carry the lightweight bag.

The first time I walked the Camino I ended up posting my sleeping bag back home to lighten the load as I stayed in hotels and Casa rurals after Orisson. The second time I bought a very light fleece type bag which folded very small for Orisson and just in case. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
just added on to this, then , a question from me, is a sleeping bag even required in the albergues.

walked the frances in 2018 and carried a bag. pulled it out once to use as a blanket but otherwise used my own liner and the provided blankets.

are blankets provided in portuguese albergues at all / usually / not at all?

planning on the nascente in april 2023 - so far away but still in lockdown here in Australia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely not. I just walked the Camino Ingles and booked private rooms. I did find my silk sleeping bag liner useful for the warm nights, because it was lighter than the hotel sheets.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.