• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping arrangements on Camino Frances during COVID times

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I intend to walk the Camino Frances from end of April- begin june. In older pre-covid posts I read that you don't need a sleeping bag and blankets are provided in most of the albergues and hostels. A sleep liner would be sufficient. Now I read somewhere that this is no longer the case, probably because of covid. Can anybody, who walked last year o the camino frances ( or any other camino) tell me what the situation was.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Blankets have never been a ā€œgivenā€ in albergues: some had them, some didnā€™t. The nicer the place and the more you paid, the higher likelihood that blankets were available (but not always!)

Additionally, so much has changed and is still changing due to Covid that even last yearā€™s availability may be more or less than this yearā€™s. Itā€™s truly an unknown since each facility will handle the issue independently.

In short, if you get cold while you sleep, plan accordingly.

Iā€™ve bought myself a very light down-filled quilt. It rolls up into nothing and weighs almost nothing but itā€™s warm enough for April-May season. It cost me about $200 AUD. Itā€™s an essential in my kit b/c you never know if and when you might need it. Apart from that itā€™s layers of light weight merino wool clothing if itā€™s cold. Works for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always travel with a sleeping bag, my Enlightened Equipment Revelation. Even in the best of times, not every albergue has blankets available. Once I stayed in an albergue where every blanket had multiple dead bed bugs. I believe that albergure has different owners now. It can also depend on elevation changes and unexpected weather changes. I try very hard to be self reliant and it has paid off.

I walked the Camino Frances in 2013 in the same period (april/june), and I was very glad to have a lightweight sleeping bag with me. Yes, in a few albergues blankets were available, and when it was very cold I put this blanket over my legs, over my sleepingbag, but I never had to sleep in a close contact with those blankets. How often will they be washed? Once a week, once a month, maybe once a season? I avoid them, don't want to be a host for the bedbugs.

Because of Covid many albergues do not provide blankets anymore; in Roncesvalles where I have been a hospitalera since 2015 we never provide blankets from a hygienic point of view.

Antonius, I didn't walk last year but did so in 2019 during the mid-May to mid-June time period. I brought a sleeping bag with me and found that I preferred it due to colder weather many nights and I also felt more comfortable using my own bag rather than some of the blankets that were available in the albergues. Personal decision, I guess.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
As others have said, not all albergues have blankets, and honestly, the ones that did could be very sketchy. I carried a lightweight sleeping bag in Sept/Oct that I attached to the outside of my pack so it was no trouble. Next time though, I will be taking my lightweight down blanket that I got at Costco and will likely add a few snaps to it so it can close. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Buen Camino!

Because of Covid many albergues do not provide blankets anymore; in Roncesvalles where I have been a hospitalera since 2015 we never provide blankets from a hygienic point of view.
Hi Ianinam
Don't mean to go slightly off point from OP just as I see you are a hospitalera at Roncesvalles can you tell me if Roncesvalles Albergue takes in pilgrims who use bag transport to transfer bags from one accommodation to the next.
Just read yesterday that Municipal Albergue's don't allow this but privately run Albergue's may .

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Anto, yes we accept pilgrims using bag transport. It is a very simple system: we have envelopes which you have to tie to your bagpack, write your name on it and the village you want to go that day, put the money in it (to Zubiri is ā‚¬ 7,00) and put your backpack in our luggage store. These backpacks are collected early in the morning and delivered one hour later in the village of your next stop.

I do not recall seeing ANY blankets in albergues between Pamplona and Burgos last fall. On pre-Covid Caminos heavy blankets were common. I always took them off my bed and put them elsewhere. I carry a very light synthetic bag (LaFuma 700 XL) with the bottom cut off. Treated with permethrin. On top of a silk liner cut open to lay flat. Treated with permethrin. If cold I can wear my jacket. Rarely do. Buen Camino

Here is my system. If you find worthwhile points, so much the better.

I do not carry a sleeping bag anymore. I also go to bed fully clothed for the next morning, one less thing to do and not only do I get out faster, I create much less noise around me.

Next, I do carry a Snugpack Jungle blanket, worth every penny. If you know the size of a thermarest pad rolled up, that is about the size of the Jungle blanket, less than 500g.
If I need more warmth, add a microfleece 1/4 zip sweater and I am usually quite snug for sleeping. Note here, there are various weights of microfleece. Get a heavy one.

If it is colder, I also have a very large microfleece towel that has been used a number of times. Again, light, takes up little space and multipurpose.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Planning on taking a sleeping bag this April and May for the CF. It is light and has a cosy fabric inside. Outside of it sprayed with Permethrin.
We walked the Portuguese Camino in 2018 in April, and I was quite glad to have it as well as when walking in Sept. or Oct. After seeing some of those blankets in the albergues, there is no way I would want to use them.
I wear a light nightgown and enjoy snuggling in my own sleeping bag. Wearing clothing to bed just sounds so uncomfortable to me.

I intend to walk the Camino Frances from end of April- begin june. In older pre-covid posts I read that you don't need a sleeping bag and blankets are provided in most of the albergues and hostels. A sleep liner would be sufficient. Now I read somewhere that this is no longer the case, probably because of covid. Can anybody, who walked last year o the camino frances ( or any other camino) tell me what the situation was.
We've walked in snow in May. Sleeping bags can weight as 1 1/2 pounds. I don't like my feet stocking out of blankets, at home or the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Iā€™ve bought myself a very light down-filled quilt. It rolls up into nothing and weighs almost nothing but itā€™s warm enough for April-May season. It cost me about $200 AUD. Itā€™s an essential in my kit b/c you never know if and when you might need it. Apart from that itā€™s layers of light weight merino wool clothing if itā€™s cold. Works for me.
Hi Lexicos, I have the same issue as Antoniois (and a virgin walker!) when you say ā€˜quiltā€™, is that the same as a sleeping bag? And do you know many grams you regard as ā€œlightā€™? Cheers

I love the feel of being cocooned in my comfy sleeping bag as I do a bit of tossing and turning during the night. If I get too hot (a very rare thing in spring) I can always partially unzip it and throw my leg out to cool down.šŸ™‚
I always sleep in my clean clothes for the next day as they are roomy/stretchy. It takes a bit of getting used to, but eliminates the need for privacy, and saves time getting ready in the morning. After a couple of days I no longer notice it.

Even before the damned pandemic blankets were a hit and miss at albergues. No way of knowing who had them available or not. May and even June nights can get chilly on the Camino. If you are in the least bit a cold sleeper I advise bringing a lightweight sleeping bag, and definitely make sure it weighs under 2 pounds (900 grams) and has a good, compressed stuff sack to store it in.

when you say ā€˜quiltā€™, is that the same as a sleeping bag? And do you know many grams you regard as ā€œlightā€™?
Usually when people say "quilt" they mean a light weigh "duvet" - basically a rectangular cover filled with down or imitation down, like this. It is like a sleeping bag that opens out completely, and without a zipper.

I would consider lightweight to be less than, say, 500 g.

Usually when people say "quilt" they mean a light weight "duvet" - basically a rectangular cover filled with down or imitation down, like this. It is like a sleeping bag that opens out completely, and without a zipper.

I would consider lightweight to be less than, say, 500 g.
Brilliant - thanks!

In the present situation, a sleeping bag is advisable, as some Albergues have restrictions on individual bedding, such as blankets, "because of covid". Quite a few of them these days provide nothing more than the disposable paper sheet and pillow case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
We stay in private rooms and always take the blankets off using only the sheets. Who knows during these covid times how often the blankets are washed? We use inexpensive lite 3 season sleeping bags which I unzip into a blanket which covers my feet. In summer I would bring only a silk liner and use extra clothing layer if I was cold.

We stay in private rooms and always take the blankets off using only the sheets. Who knows during these covid times how often the blankets are washed? We use inexpensive lite 3 season sleeping bags which I unzip into a blanket which covers my feet. In summer I would bring only a silk liner and use extra clothing layer if I was cold.
Brilliant - thanks!
For May/June SJDP>Finistere, I'm now thinking cotton/silk liner and quilt combo (combined weight 600gram/1.3lbs).

Welcome any feedback.

For May/June SJDP>Finistere, I'm now thinking cotton/silk liner and quilt combo (combined weight 600gram/1.3lbs).

Welcome any feedback.
When I looked at your link, I couldnā€™t tell for sure, but I would get a liner that unzips all the way so itā€™s like a sheet in case itā€™s too hot. I think at that time of year you can experience either cold or heat, so you should prepare for both.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I do not recall a single albergue that did not provide a pillow. And now, almost all furnish you with a disposable bed and separate pillow cover. Sometimes this is an extra euro or two, sometimes included in the price. The pillows are long and thin. I just drape my silk liner over it (after wrestling it into the disposable cover). I used to carry a very small pillow case my wife made to enclose my stuffed in down jacket. I have adjusted to the Spanish pillows and now longer need to carry that extra ounce. On my first Camino I carried an inflatable pillow. Waste of space, weight and money. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've had the Aegismax Wind Hard Ultralight Quilt, about 550gms, very compactable, for about 5 years.
Love it. Roomy, being rectangular, featherlight on top of you, toe box that can be open or closed.
Always warm enough on the CF September/October. About US$100 when I bought it from Aliexpress.
It's a Chinese knock-off of the Enlightened Equipment Quilt.

AegisMax Wind Hard Ultralight Quilt

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
I've had the Aegismax Wind Hard Ultralight Quilt, about 550gms, very compactable, for about 5 years.
Love it. Roomy, being rectangular, featherlight on top of you, toe box that can be open or closed.
Always warm enough on the CF September/October. About US$100 when I bought it from Aliexpress.
It's a Chinese knock-off of the Enlightened Equipment Quilt.

AegisMax Wind Hard Ultralight Quilt

Regards
Gerard
So do you put it the compression sack or just stuff it in your backpack?

I previously used an Osprey Talon 44 litre and am a confirmed bottom stuffer.
Downsized to a Talon 33 litre this year and bought lots of new replacement gear.
It compresses rilly rilly small, and I prefer not have to do the crush squeeze into the compression sack every morning.
I'm hoping to continue bottom stuffing but I guess time will tell.
My target weight is 5.5 kilos with food and water.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:

ā‚¬46,-
I totally dislike stuffing my lightweight sleeping bag into its stuffsack too as it's such a nuisance. Instead I simply fold it up and slip it in a one gallon ziplock bag, sit on it to get excess air out, and then ziplock it shut. Super easy and works like a charm.

I will never hike without a sleeping bag. End of April snow behind SJpdP, freezing hostels. Early May Ocebreiro with 20cm snow and mostly unheated hostels. You should not expect blankets to be available

I use a 35 dollar Costco down quilt a s a sleep sack . I have walked winter and fall times of the year. There were albergues that didn't have blankets. My quilt and silk sleep sack were sufficient.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not recall a single albergue that did not provide a pillow. And now, almost all furnish you with a disposable bed and separate pillow cover. Sometimes this is an extra euro or two, sometimes included in the price. The pillows are long and thin. I just drape my silk liner over it (after wrestling it into the disposable cover). I used to carry a very small pillow case my wife made to enclose my stuffed in down jacket. I have adjusted to the Spanish pillows and now longer need to carry that extra ounce. On my first Camino I carried an inflatable pillow. Waste of space, weight and money. Buen Camino.
Certainly most albergues provide pillows. One that did not was the donativo albergue in GraƱon by the church. I mention this because it is often highly recommended as a favourite albergue, so that many pilgrims make a point of staying there and best not to be caught by surprise by the lack.

Re pillows. I bought a toddler sized silk pillowcase (weight 38g) and I'm going to put clothes into it. I tried using a dry bag and it was uncomfortable for me.

For an April/May camino, I'm bringing my costco quilt (418g), but I'm debating between my silk liner (170 g) or my heavier poly liner (375 g). I generally sleep warm. I will have a set of merino baselayer top/bottom for cooler nights. Which would you bring?

I tried using a dry bag and it was uncomfortable for me.
I use two Walmart small size zipper mesh laundry bags for all my stuff (normally sold for delicates). They mould and conform perfectly to any shape you want, and the holes let all the air out as needed as I finish filling my pack. I also can see what is inside the mesh when looking for the things I need and can grab them quickly. I line my pack with a white trash compactor bag so never need any dry bags...once you go mesh, you'll never go back.

I use two Walmart small size zipper mesh laundry bags for all my stuff (normally sold for delicates). They mould and conform perfectly to any shape you want, and the holes let all the air out as needed as I finish filling my pack. I also can see what is inside the mesh when looking for the things I need and can grab them quickly. I line my pack with a white trash compactor bag so never need any dry bags...once you go mesh, you'll never go back.

I use those at home all the time for laundry. Hmmmm....I think I'll grab one and see what it weighs compared to my dry bags...

ETA...they're about 4g lighter than my 6 liter Osprey dry bag, about the same weight as my S2S 4 liter dry bag. I may or may not have my scale at hand and be weighing ALL THE THINGS today. :D

I use those at home all the time for laundry. Hmmmm....I think I'll grab one and see what it weighs compared to my dry bags...
I speak of the smallest size. Stuff it with some camino clothes and check it out in your pack. The weight is negligent...no worries. I use the 2nd bag for all the incidentals. I don't need to fill them up completely; any excess I just roll onto itself...try it, you'll like it.šŸ™‚EDIT, A trash compactor bag is essential as you can't fully trust a pack cover.

Last edited:
For an April/May camino, I'm bringing my costco quilt (418g), but I'm debating between my silk liner (170 g) or my heavier poly liner (375 g). I generally sleep warm. I will have a set of merino baselayer top/bottom for cooler nights. Which would you bring?

100% would bring the silk liner, especially if you (1) have a Costco quilt (yes, the one I have already said I'm envious of :) (2) generally sleep warm, and (3) are already packing/wearing a merino baselayer - all of which will definitely keep you plenty cozy even in the chilliest of albergues. Seems like an easy savings of 200g to me!

100% would bring the silk liner, especially if you (1) have a Costco quilt (yes, the one I have already said I'm envious of :) (2) generally sleep warm, and (3) are already packing/wearing a merino baselayer - all of which will definitely keep you plenty cozy even in the chilliest of albergues. Seems like an easy savings of 200g to me!

Excellent! That's what I was hoping for. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Welcome any feedback.

I am walking SJPP to Finisterre in May and June as well and will be using a liner + blanket combo, which tops out at 690g/1.5 lb and has the added advantage of being a more versatile/adaptable solution for me than just a sleeping bag. Like @Eve Alexandra above I sleep warm and will have merino base layers to sleep in if it gets too chilly, and I won't feel bad about donating that blanket to someone who may need it more than I do as my walk stretches into June.

I am walking SJPP to Finisterre in May and June as well and will be using a liner + blanket combo, which tops out at 690g/1.5 lb and has the added advantage of being a more versatile/adaptable solution for me than just a sleeping bag. Like @Eve Alexandra above I sleep warm and will have merino base layers to sleep in if it gets too chilly, and I won't feel bad about donating that blanket to someone who may need it more than I do as my walk stretches into June.
Another advantage of the liner/blanket combo is that on those hot nights you can put the blanket between the liner and those sticky vinyl covered mattresses.

Another advantage of the liner/blanket combo is that on those hot nights you can put the blanket between the liner and those sticky vinyl covered mattresses.

Good point - I am trying not to think too much about the concept of "sticky vinyl coated mattresses", but this is a good thing to know šŸ˜…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good point - I am trying not to think too much about the concept of "sticky vinyl coated mattresses", but this is a good thing to know šŸ˜…
Hopefully, you know what I mean - the mattress itself isn't sticky, but a hot sweaty body on top of vinyl anything sticks to it, as those of us who have had the pleasure of driving/riding in un-airconditioned cars with vinyl seats in hot weather know!

Hopefully, you know what I mean - the mattress itself isn't sticky, but a hot sweaty body on top of vinyl anything sticks to it, as those of us who have had the pleasure of driving/riding in un-airconditioned cars with vinyl seats in hot weather know!

me/quietly raises hand...I remember :D

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.