• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag on Coastal?

Time of past OR future Camino
francés (2005),sanabres (2014), mozarabe (2015)
Hi, we’ll be setting off from Porto airport to walk the coastal and spiritual on April 28th and plan to stay ( mostly) in municipal albergues. As usual a packing quandary has emerged. Will we need sleeping bags? Will the albergues have blankets? What are temperatures likely to be in them? I’ve always carried one before but have so often not needed it I thought maybe just a liner this time. Really trying to keep the weight down. Any advise?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, we’ll be setting off from Porto airport to walk the coastal and spiritual on April 28th and plan to stay ( mostly) in municipal albergues. As usual a packing quandary has emerged. Will we need sleeping bags? Will the albergues have blankets? What are temperatures likely to be in them? I’ve always carried one before but have so often not needed it I thought maybe just a liner this time. Really trying to keep the weight down. Any advise?
After finding similar previous threads I realise it’s a pretty unanswerable query but I’d still like to know if most of the albergues have blankets available at the mo (post Covid?!?)

I can't say much about albergues in Portugal, but once you are in Galicia - about half way from Porto, public albergues will NOT have blankets. All albergues municipal run by Xunta de Galizia (those for 8 euro), by law, can't have blankets in their albergues. I think this was introduced even pre-covid as a sanitary rule to stop spreading bedbugs from one albergue to another.

All albergues municipal in Galizia also won't have utensils in kitchen, ocasionally you may find "something" like a cup, a glass, a random spoon that someone left. But don't count on anything. Usually there is a microwave and you can make a tea if you have your own plastic cup (and a teabag)

Because of no blankets rule, a week ago I paid 15 euro for a private albergue in Fonsagrada instead of 8 euro for a municipal next door - even if I had a light sleeping bag - as the night was expected to be very cold (-3C). Albergue in Lugo was warm, albergues in Castroverde and Santa Irene - barely OK. I slept in my clothes inside my Decathlon sleeping bag.

On the other hand, it seems like all the Xunta albergues now have a washing machine and a dryer which is nice.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for that info folks. Guess I’ll have to man up and shoulder the extra KG’s.
Glad to hear about the new ferries as it will mean we don’t have to rush to get over on the Sunday.

Hi. I walked part coastal and part central from Coimbra up last September and only had to use liner once. Was surprised at the quality of bed linen available but may have been just lucky with the accommodations. Enjoy. Will be bringing a friend and doing similar starting 4th of May so will be right behind you 🙂 Enjoy, Daniel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi.
I did Camino da Costa in April using just a liner and was plenty warm enough. I have walked in April. June, July. September and October on various routes and only ever used a liner.
Buen Camino
Vince

Hi. I walked part coastal and part central from Coimbra up last September and only had to use liner once. Was surprised at the quality of bed linen available but may have been just lucky with the accommodations. Enjoy. Will be bringing a friend and doing similar starting 4th of May so will be right behind you 🙂 Enjoy, Daniel
Thanks Daniel but were you in municipal albuergues as Happy Penguin says no blankets in them in Galicia?

Hi.
I did Camino da Costa in April using just a liner and was plenty warm enough. I have walked in April. June, July. September and October on various routes and only ever used a liner.
Buen Camino
Vince
Same question for you Vince. Were you staying in municipal albuergues?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Same question for you Vince. Were you staying in municipal albuergues?
Hi Steve.
Most of the time I stay in municipal alberques. However, I agree with Daniel that if you do stay in a private alberque the quality of the bed linen is good. I think out of about 100 days on Caminos I used blankets on about three occasions. It is my understanding that alberques are now offering blankets again but making a small charge to cover laundering them but I cannot confirm this from any official sources just from conversations with other pilgrims on line. I will be off again myself but not until the end of May by which time it will be plenty warm enough for me as I don't tend to feel the cold.
Vince

Hi Steve, I hiked the Primitivo Camino last October and only brought a silk liner. As such, I can't stay in the Municipal Albergues if it is cool/cold. Sometimes I do and just wear my cloths as most times the rooms are overly hot. But mostly, I stay in the private Albergues as they usually have blankets, or at least, better heating with smaller rooms. I also have been getting more private rooms, which usually come with sheets. I am hiking the Portugeues camino from Porto in a few weeks, and plan to just bring a silk liner. Again, a personal choice, since most people I hike with have light sleeping bags. I enjoy having a lighter pack. Beun Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back