• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag on VdlP April & May

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It depends on the weather, the heating in your albergue (or hostal), and whether you like to sleep warm or cold.

At home, if the temperature outside were 8°C at night or a few degrees colder and your house weren't heated, would that be sufficient? What extra layers of clothing do you have that you could wear to bed?

I was cold during the nights on the Vdlp in April and May, and also needed gloves first thing in the mornings. I'm not familiar with a Thermalise sack so don't know how much heat they generate. I use a silk sack with a light down throw inside it. I'm contemplating the Via this year in mid April and will definitely take the silk sack and down throw.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I left Seville on the 7th of April and took a silk inner and sleeping bag (good down to approx 0 degrees Celsius). I used it opened as a blanket and only closed it up a couple of nights - notably in the Monastery of Oseira! I did use gloves in the frosty mornings too.

I left Sevilla last year on 28 April and walked as far as Salamanca. I carried a light sleeping bag and a cotton/silk liner. I used the liner a lot, but not once the sleeping bag.
This year I start on the same day again from Salamanca. I'll be leaving the sleeping bag at home. I think.

I left Sevilla last year on 28 April and walked as far as Salamanca. I carried a light sleeping bag and a cotton/silk liner. I used the liner a lot, but not once the sleeping bag.
This year I start on the same day again from Salamanca. I'll be leaving the sleeping bag at home. I think.
I’d rather carry a sleeping bag and not need it than not carry one and need it.
I find that a lightweight bag with a liner is a good combination with various options I how you utilise them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’d rather carry a sleeping bag and not need it than not carry one and need it.
I find that a lightweight bag with a liner is a good combination with various options I how you utilise them.
Fair enough. I just put on another layer of clothes that are already in my pack.
Everyone has different tolerances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme
seems to be enough with it's 100 g/m2 isolation.
Even 60 g/m2 is good.
In case of emergency use your clothing.
The Sea to Summit Reactor and Reactor Extreme liners are superb in my experience. They add 5 and 8 degrees respectively to a bags capabilities (from memory). Great bits of kit that pack small too.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back