Search 62305 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag on VdlP in springtime

camino0515-lt

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May/June 2015)
VdlP (Sevilla to Oliva de Plasencia / April 2019)
Portugues (Apr-May 2020)
Hi, is a sleeping bag useful or a liner sufficient if I plan to walk April/May? Thanks

How to avoid failure "be prepared"
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

drvnsmiln

SJPP - SdC '14
SdC - Fin-Muxia. '14
Sarria - SdC '14
VdlP '17
Levante '19
Portugues '19
Yes. I started in Seville on April 1, 2017, and while the weather was quite warm for the first week or so, by the time I got to Salamanca it was 28°F overnight. Continuing on up into the mountains on the Sanbres, I also made a good use of my down sweater. And we absolutely FROZE in the monastery at Oseira. Arrived in Santiago on May 21.
Of course every year is different, but it’s better to have and not need it than to need and not have…
Buen Camino!

mla1

CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
Yes! I took a very light one and often wished it were heavier. Some places I had to use several blankets on top of it.

sharon w

Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
I took a lightweight sleeping bag last year in Spring. Definitely needed for the Sanabrese route.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

camino0515-lt

Frances (May/June 2015)
Portugues (Apr-May 2020)

MileHighPair

Many, many Caminos, mostly past maybe some future.
We've carried 55F sleep sacs from REI on all of our caminos, including spring on the VdlP. In most albergues there are blankets to borrow, and if there are not, we use extra layers of clothing to sleep in. Like you, we think the light weight is worth it. We also take very light down jackets for evening warmth. Buen Camino.

Waka

Veteran Member
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I"m pleased the sleeping bag issue has been raised because I'm starting in Feb. The one question I have is regarding fleece wear, I have a marino full zip fleece and also a Rab does jacket; what's the teams thought one which one I should take?

hel&scott

Veteran Member
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
Go with the merino @Waka , we use liners and lightweight sleeping bags, if it gets cold, which is does from Salamanca onward, then layer up with merino leggings and tops when you go to bed. Down vests can get wet and become inaffecative and difficult to dry, were as wool is still warm when damp and merino dries overnight.

Waka

Veteran Member
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Go with the merino @Waka , we use liners and lightweight sleeping bags, if it gets cold, which is does from Salamanca onward, then layer up with merino leggings and tops when you go to bed. Down vests can get wet and become inaffecative and difficult to dry, were as wool is still warm when damp and merino dries overnight.

Thanks guys; advice noted and taken. Hadn't thought of marino leggings, off to the shops tomorrow to rectify that.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

sharon w

Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016
Hi Sharon, I am looking at the Marmot NanoWave 55F and now wondering if it’s warm enough. I like the fact that it’s very light at 1pd 8on (680gr) and can be compressed very small in 2.75lt. May I ask what is yours. Thanks

https://www.altitude-sports.com/products/marmot-nanowave-55f-13c-sleeping-bag-llll-mar-21470
I took the Sea to Summit traveller. It weighs about 440g. It has a drawstring at the feet which can be opened or shut, plus it can be opened out like a Donna.

sharon w

Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Aussie Camino 2016

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
Hi Sharon, I am looking at the Marmot NanoWave 55F and now wondering if it’s warm enough. I like the fact that it’s very light at 1pd 8on (680gr) and can be compressed very small in 2.75lt. May I ask what is yours. Thanks

https://www.altitude-sports.com/products/marmot-nanowave-55f-13c-sleeping-bag-llll-mar-21470
That's the one I have and I love it. The coldest morning I faced was about 12 deg C in June in Extremadura, and in Galicia it can get quite chilly even in July. I took a silk liner as well because I went in summer and it was good to have both. I'm going to take the same one when I do the Levante next Feb/Mar.

P Rat

Camino VDLP/Sanábres April 2019
Camino Mozárabe when we can again...(2021?)
Great advise everyone, I posted about sleeping bags earlier and the answers here nicely supplemented the ones I got. In the meantime we did decide to bring bags, 5deg C comfort zone and use a silk liner too. Merino underlayers were always on the list, but won't be discarded now!

Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

P Rat

Camino VDLP/Sanábres April 2019
Camino Mozárabe when we can again...(2021?)
Hi, is a sleeping bag useful or a liner sufficient if I plan to walk April/May? Thanks
We are planning the VdlP too from beginning of April....where are you from? (We're from Brisbane, Australia) We may see each other. Buen Camino

camino0515-lt

Frances (May/June 2015)
Portugues (Apr-May 2020)
Hi, I don’t have the exact time when we leave at the beginning of April but at this point there are 3 of us from Ottawa, Canada. We might meet then.

Most read last week in this forum

Who is behind Gronze.com? This resource is likely the most often mentioned on this forum. I’m thinking it’s time to do a shout out to the developers who keep it up to date year after year.
I do not like using hiking poles. I have a nice pair and I have adjusted the straps and lengths and use them properly on uphill, downhill and level ground but still prefer to go without. However...
I will do the camino in the first week of September, from Sarria. What is the best option for the rain in that time: an impermeable windbreak or an impermeable jacket as Outdoor Research Helium?
Hi all, please move if there is a better place for this question. I have downloaded Organic maps to my iPhone 12 and have also downloaded the Dutch fraternity maps and Rayyrosa maps to ‘files’ on...
Hi, does anyone know of a China Store (sells cheap goods) in Burgos city centre? I am arriving in a couple of weeks' time and would like to buy an umbrella. Thanks! Jill
I'm looking for an app that I can put on my iPhone to edit gpx tracks while I am in Spain. I specifically need an app that will preserve waypoints in the track I am editing. I plan to record my...

How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.