• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or down comforter ?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
I'm starting in St Jean in late September, and given the season and the simple amenities of the albergues, which option makes more sense: a lightweight ( 5c) sleeping bag or a very compressible down comforter ....all opinions are welcome!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For me, a silk liner and small down blanket are the most versatile sleep system. Together my liner and blanket weigh just 12 ounces. On hot nights I can put the blanket between the liner and the sometimes sticky and uncomfortable vinyl covered mattress. On cooler nights I can tuck the blanket inside my liner for warmth.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm starting in St Jean in late September, and given the season and the simple amenities of the albergues, which option makes more sense: a lightweight ( 5c) sleeping bag or a very compressible down comforter ....all opinions are welcome!

There is no insulation on the bottom of a sleeping bag where the insulation is crushed under the sleeper's weight. It makes sense to eliminate the extra weight, and use a backpacking sleeping quilt. With the fasteners that are included with that style of sleeping quilt, you do have the flexibility to adjust it into a sleeping bag if desired, to create only a footwell, or to leave it completely open like a comforter. My 40F sleeping quilt weighs about 10 ounces and compresses down to the size of a grapefruit.

I can guarantee, without prejudice, that if I sleep in a silk liner covered by anything - hairy Albergue blanket; micro-fleece doobry-wotsit or any other conceivable covering - I will wake at 3 (3!) in the morning to discover that I am freezing and that my erstwhile covering has slid off in pursuit of its own camino. The wonderful thing about sleeping bags is that once you are in 'em they can't escape. Even if you are on the top bunk!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can guarantee, without prejudice, that if I sleep in a silk liner covered by anything - hairy Albergue blanket; micro-fleece doobry-wotsit or any other conceivable covering - I will wake at 3 (3!) in the morning to discover that I am freezing and that my erstwhile covering has slid off in pursuit of its own camino. The wonderful thing about sleeping bags is that once you are in 'em they can't escape. Even if you are on the top bunk!!

I'm laughing out loud at the mind's picture you have created!!!:D:D:D

I started SJPdP 15 September. Slow walker. Got to Santiago 30 October. Did take a lightweight sleeping bag but a down comforter would have been more than adequate. And if it slips off your sleeping sheet, pin it on. ;):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For you comforter/quilt enthusiasts, can you post links to specific ones you like?

I hear about bargains to be found at Costco, etc.

Some of those bargains involve cutting down and re-hemming a larger quilt. That’s probably beyond my abilities, but I’ll admit that I’m sewing-curious...

For you comforter/quilt enthusiasts, can you post links to specific ones you like?

I hear about bargains to be found at Costco, etc.

Some of those bargains involve cutting down and re-hemming a larger quilt. That’s probably beyond my abilities, but I’ll admit that I’m sewing-curious...
I cut down a Costco quilt for my friend. It's really not that hard to do, but if you want to use one full size it's still pretty light at 15 ounces. I don't think that they are selling them in the warehouses right now, but you can but them online in a two pack for $39.99.

https://m.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html

If you want to cut one down here's how I did it:
You will need a package of double fold seam binding to finish the cut edge.
Decide where you want to cut it, then sew two parallel lines of stitching about 1/4 inch apart. (this will keep the down from escaping when you cut the blanket)
Cut between the two lines of stitching.
Pin the seam binding in place over the cut edge, and sew with a wide zigzag zag stitch.

You can decide how much or how little you want to cut off, depending on your size.

I'm walking the CF from SJPdP to Santiago 2 Sept > 10 Oct 2018. Is the weather usually cool enough to need a sleeping bag or comforter for warmth at night? Another question: Do the albergues provide sheets, pillows and/or blankets for their guests?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry, please forgive this newbie! I should have read the above posts more carefully before posting my questions. I think you all have addressed my concerns about sleeping equipment.

I took a 45 degree down sleeping bag on the CF during Sept/Oct last year. It served me well. I plan to repeat CF next Sept with my girlfriend and we will both carry a lightweight down bag.

I have a silk liner and a SeaToSummit Traveller, they've worked well for me but some nights are too warm for the Traveller and I also find it a little 'snug'. Next time I plan to use the Traveller open as a quilt. To stop it slipping off I'm going to apply some snap fasteners to liner and quilt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I cut down a Costco quilt for my friend. It's really not that hard to do, but if you want to use one full size it's still pretty light at 15 ounces. I don't think that they are selling them in the warehouses right now, but you can but them online in a two pack for $39.99.

https://m.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html
I tried to buy one of the Costco throws a couple of years ago, but I don't think they have ever stocked them here in Australia and as far as I'm aware, we can't buy online either. :confused: They sound to be great value!

I walked in early Spring, and I've used a down sleeping bag on my caminos. I use my lighter one that takes me down 40F (4C). (I have a warmer one that takes me down to 0 F (-18C) for winter camping.) It has a two way zipper so I can open my feet to the air if I want, or zip it all the way up. -- I have considered the costco quilts as a lighter option, but my sleeping bag works fine, and I like a hood to put my head down upon.

Just a question about the sleeping quilts, do you spray them with permethrin?
I sprayed my sleeping bag, but didn't really use it much, but I didn't spray my liner, (didnt like the idea of touching the chemicals)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used a down sleeping bag when I started on October 10th. It was more than I needed at the beginning, but by the time I got to Galicia the rains had started, so it was nice to have the extra warmth by the end. I am not a big fan of the scratchy, dingy blankets they have in the Albergues. I had also sprayed the outside with essential oils that may or may not have helped me get through the whole trip Bed Bug free.

I used a down bag (Rab) that weighs next to nothing, that I bought at a Mountain Marathon, and a mummy-shaped silk liner. In mid September - early October, on CF, I experienced both cold nights and hot dorms and used them, alone or in combination, as needed. I kept the Rab in a ‘vacuum’ bag in my pack, against my back, where it took up hardly any room.
Lightweight and cosy :)

After many years of backpacking with a mummy bag, I finally decided I don't like being restrained like that anymore. On the Camino, I brought a rectangular sleep sack (Sea to Summit Silk/Cotton blend. It dried quickly and was more comfortable to me than just silk or synthetics). I brought a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment, which I loved. It wasn't cheap and the Costco quilt would be a fine substitute, probably. It did slip off, so I sometimes safety pinned it on the wall side. I've walked in spring and in late fall and was always comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.