• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or just liner for Camino in May to reduce weigh

Nauzanplage

Hi
I completed the stages from SJPP to Burgos last October and plan to walk for 12 more days from Burgos commencing early May. Even though I carried only 8kg last time I am looking at every way to reduce weight. This time I am leaving behind my Spanish phrase book, bed bug liner (not used last time) and spare pair of short. I have even shortened my camera charger lead down to 15cms! It was quite cold last October and I needed the sleeping bag – but I think I could get away with just the liner in May. (and supplement with hostel blankets if necessary). Any advice?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Since you're walking for 12 days you probably won't make it deep into Galicia and the for the first week or so you'll be on the Maseta so I think the liner should suffice, after Astorga and you start gaining elevation there are some places that can get cold at night. However the blankets in the alburgues were a hit and miss thing (maybe they had them if someone asks). I carried a fleece sleeping bag liner that served me well.

You could always take the liner, and hedge your bet by taking a very lightweight pair of silk longjohns (they do double duty as daywear).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nauzanplage said:
Hi
............ It was quite cold last October and I needed the sleeping bag – but I think I could get away with just the liner in May. (and supplement with hostel blankets if necessary). Any advice?
Last May was so cold that the Spanish were compaining and snow blocked some of the passes across the north. We were in Oviedo and had to buy extra fleeces! We had bag liners but relied on blankets, and long johns for pyjamas. One night I had to roll myself in my poncho to get warm as the bed felt damp.
This year in May we are taking lightweight sleeping bags but leaving the liners behind to save some weight. We are hoping it will be warmer but nights can still be cold even if the daytime temp is hotter.
Buen Camino
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Did you remember to cut off most of your toothbrush handle to save weight? It only needs to be 3" long to work.

Unless you generally get cold at night, the liner will be sufficient in May. There were blankets everywhere I needed one. Of course, if I didn't want a blanket, I did not look for one, so there may be albergues that do not have them. Like always finding something in the last place you look; I mean, who keeps looking after they have found it? When you have 100 roommates, even a cold place warms up at night.

I walked last year from mid-April to almost the end of May. It snowed several times along the way, in the middle of May. It got down to 7C in Castrojeriz, and the albergue I was staying at was probably closer to 4C because they had no heat. I recall being able to see my breath before I went to bed. I actually put one of the scratchy wool blankets over me in my sleeping bag to stay warm that night. I would bring a lightweight sleeping bag, nothing too heavy....but that's just me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Luxury. Two razors!! :)
TerryB and Tia Valeria

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not only two razors, but Vaseline in its original container instead of a plastic sandwich bag. That has to be at least an ounce. You must have been using a burro.

All compensated for by the fact that one of the razors was near the end of its life and would be ditched and I saved some more weight when I drilled holes in the shaft of tooth brush to make it lighter.

Not all those toothbrush bristles are necessary. If you clip every other one, you will have halved the bristle weight, and will never notice the difference when brushing. Just another hot tip for weight control.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
JohnnieWalker said:
great idea! and there is no truth in the rumour that I've gone bald deliberately to avoid taking a comb or other hair care products.

Good idea! You also are not carrying the weight of all of that hair.

A 'comb" I used to own one of those too! As far as saving weight with the toothbrush would it be considered impolite to just borrow one from friends?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
BHfmSanDiego said:
A 'comb" I used to own one of those too! As far as saving weight with the toothbrush would it be considered impolite to just borrow one from friends?

Ewwww!!!! You guys are cracking me up! There's a guy at the local outdoor store who is into the super lightweight trekking. He is nuts! These last few posts remind me of him. :)

Yeah, I thought the Weight Weenies were nuts too...until I hiked with my friend who was carrying 16 lbs to my 35. Ok, the toothbrush handles may be a bit much, but after you've hiked with a 2 pound tent, a 2 pound sleeping bag, and a 2 pound pack, for a total under 20 (water is heavy, no getting around it), you may change your mind. 8)
(I know, you're going to tell me to leave the tent behind, but I love the freedom).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Guess I carry more than all you strong fitup men on the forum concerned about the length of your toothbrushes.
I have needed my sleepingbag on every camino. It has been cold in the refugios at night both in spring and autumn. I have needed all the extra clothes I have brought with me.
Many days I have damned the rainclothes I have carried for weeks without using it in +35 C, but suddenly I needed them in heavy rain all day over the Pyrenees and more days after that.
I do not carry a comb because my hair is short and I can use my fingers to comb it. I hate the little traveltowel I have to dry myself with after the shower and I would like to change my rainponcho into a big nice bathtowel.
Packing for my next camino theese days, my backpack is 8kg and I would like to have an extra pair of shoes, but since I have to carry a lot of water on the Plata I do not know. Think 10-12 kg is not a big deal even for a woman of 63. Cannot see how people can walk for a month and get all they need in a 5kg backpack?????
Randi

Randi, gotta admit that's a good amount of weight, I'm impressed! I started my Camino last year with 20 kg's, I carried that from St Jean to Pamplona via Orisson, there were a couple of Korean gentlemen I walked with who kept saying, you are a strong man! LOL I sent home about 6 kgs from Pamplona. Being down to what I felt necessary seemed like a lot when I compared it to what others were carrying, but it was never a problem, like you I kept a couple of things I thought I'd need (an inflatible air mattress) and didn't and I wished I had kept my fleece for Galicia!
Ultreya,
Barry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ranthr said:
Packing for my next camino these days, my backpack is 8kg Randi

Hi - don't take Falcon and I too seriously on this - we are only teasing. But is has a serious point - on my fist Camino on the Via de la Plata I took far too much and paid the price for it in terms of blisters and joint pain. There was also the realisation that I had taken things which I never needed to use or would only use so ocassionally I could but them if needed. For me lighter weight means trouble free walking. Randi - your target is also my limit - 8kgs and hopefully a bit less. For me this is the ideal weight. People find their own.

Truth is I only cut an inch or so off that particular toothbrush so it would fit in the plastic pouch and as for baldness and comb avoidance I am afriad these are the result of processes outside my control :)

OK, boys, understand some of you is having fun, but I guess Nauzanplage had a serious question.
Tried to tell him that a lightweight sleepingbag and some warming clothes for a cold evening might be good.
Despite of my 130 days on the camino I am still in doubt of what to bring, but this time I have decided not to send any parcels anywhere.
Randi

ranthr said:
Guess I carry more than all you strong fitup men on the forum concerned about the length of your toothbrushes.
I have needed my sleepingbag on every camino. It has been cold in the refugios at night both in spring and autumn. I have needed all the extra clothes I have brought with me.
Many days I have damned the rainclothes I have carried for weeks without using it in +35 C, but suddenly I needed them in heavy rain all day over the Pyrenees and more days after that.
I do not carry a comb because my hair is short and I can use my fingers to comb it. I hate the little traveltowel I have to dry myself with after the shower and I would like to change my rainponcho into a big nice bathtowel.
Packing for my next camino theese days, my backpack is 8kg and I would like to have an extra pair of shoes, but since I have to carry a lot of water on the Plata I do not know. Think 10-12 kg is not a big deal even for a woman of 63. Cannot see how people can walk for a month and get all they need in a 5kg backpack?????
Randi

I have only done one Camino but you make more sense than most. I don't understand how people can go so ultralight. You can walk cold but you need to sleep warm. You need good rain gear, mine failed but it was on the last few km into Santiago...it would have been bad had it been a cold day out on the Camino. I only carried 10kg but most of the (much younger) peregrinos carried larger 50L packs. I saw some girls who must have had 3kg of food they were carrying as well as regular sized bottles of lotion and shampoo.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anything over 10kg will be a problem to most people. Some here may be able to handle more..but most will suffer.

I started my first Camino with 12 kg and then got rid of 2kg in Leon. Felt wonderful.
On my second Camino I started and finished with 8kg and still had stuff I didn't use.
Both were in March-April so the colder nights were still there.
Keep the weight down....you can pick up anything you need along the way.
Don't double up on all your clothes as you will have plenty of opportunity to wash them....and can wear them an extra day or so and no one will notice. :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back