• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or Klymit blanket on CF in fall?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances or Primitivo
Hoping to walk the CF mid Sept -late Oct. Planning to stay in auberges most nights. As a "woman of a certain age," I am a very hot sleeper. The idea of being stuffed into a sleeping bag is oppressive.

Was thinking of bringing a liner and something like a Klymit Versa blanket for better ventilation.

I appreciate any advice from those who have similar issues!

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Even in the depths of winter I take a liner and down blanket, I find it more comfortable and more options to get a better temperature than with sleeping bag- ( I've stayed in pilgrim accommodation on the VF in Italy that ran heating full blast all night to albergues with none even on cold winter nights).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last fall Sept and Oct my husband took his 1 lb down sleeping bag (montbell brand 12 years old now) and a silk liner bag. He used both and was glad to have both as the albergues are often unheated and cool at night. He often opened the sleeping bag and used it as a cover while tucked into his silk liner bag. He also did not take a jacket and ended up buying one in October at Decathlon.

something like a Klymit Versa blanket
That looks and weighs like any blanket or sleeping bag that opens fully. If that is your preference, it seems very reasonable. If you decided you wanted to have a closed sleeping bag, you could just put the blanket inside your liner, as @trecile does. I think she uses a half-size blanket. If you are a hot sleeper, then you should be plenty warm enough.

We are in the same group, bmorrish. Always sleep in your Tomorrow Clothes. They keep you warm enough while sleeping and minimizes noise and prep time in the morning. Awaken, grab your pack, get Morning ablutions completed and you can be on the road.

Add your blanket as an added option.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How about this? To reduce weight.
Halti.jpg

I am always critical of liner only people, but liner plus carried light blanket plus blankets in the Albergues does sound like a decent plan.

Sleeping in your clothes sounds like a bad idea though. Unless it's seriously cold. Bad idea to sweat through the night into them.

Even in the depths of winter I take a liner and down blanket, I find it more comfortable and more options to get a better temperature than with sleeping bag- ( I've stayed in pilgrim accommodation on the VF in Italy that ran heating full blast all night to albergues with none even on cold winter nights).
I doubt if you are going to have to worry about any pilgrim accommodation running any heat at full blast with the price of energy in Europe:) Even last November and December I do not remember any albergue running the heat for more than a few hours in the evening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I doubt if you are going to have to worry about any pilgrim accommodation running any heat at full blast with the price of energy in Europe:) Even last November and December I do not remember any albergue running the heat for more than a few hours in the evening.
Never in Spain but on the Via Francigena in Italy it happened in 3 places that were pilgrim accommodation! But I suspect that will not be the case in future with energy prices

How about this? To reduce weight.
View attachment 130187
Please don't use this type of emergency blanket in an albergue - they are very noisy. Also not breathable, so you could get very sweaty under it.

I am a newbie, going for my first Camino (CF) in September. I have a light weight sleeping bag from Decathlon, and one part of me thinks that having a comfy sleep assured in a bag would be the way to go...I did find an interesting video on youtube.

I am now leaning towards using a silk liner with this emerg bivy on cold evenings...apparently it 'breathes'. The big downside still, there isn't a "snuggle factor" at the end of a long day.
Signed
Suffering from Gear Indecision (LOL)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a newbie, going for my first Camino (CF) in September. I have a light weight sleeping bag from Decathlon, and one part of me thinks that having a comfy sleep assured in a bag would be the way to go...I did find an interesting video on youtube.

I am now leaning towards using a silk liner with this emerg bivy on cold evenings...apparently it 'breathes'. The big downside still, there isn't a "snuggle factor" at the end of a long day.
Signed
Suffering from Gear Indecision (LOL)
I have the sol escape pro which I use as a bivvy outside in mild weather. Mine is the model up, but it is an odd feeling against the skin. Not sure I'd recommend for albergue use though - mine isn't overly noisy but it's not comfy either.
Doing a remoter camino route where accommodation was an issue I might add it to my rucksack but in addition to normal sleep gear rather than instead if I had to sleep outside somewhere.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please don't use this type of emergency blanket in an albergue - they are very noisy. Also not breathable, so you could get very sweaty under it.
You are amazing! How do you know that?? Awesome I had no idea what language it was until i used Google Translate. Why would a FInnish company use the word Haiti for a blanket when you may never, ever need a blanket in Haiti!!!!!

Read right! The name is HALTI, not Haiti.
Halti is name of our highest Fjell (or mountin if you will).
This trade name has plenty of outdoor gadgets.
Buen Camino!
Benny

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.