A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Sleeping Bag or Liner in April

scking

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - April 2019
I am planning to walk the Camino Frances beginning April 14, 2019. Are the evenings warm enough to get by with a liner or do I need a sleeping bag?

Secondly, whatever I end up, should I be spraying it to protect from bed bugs?

Thank you
Stacey

Helen1

Camino(s) past & future
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
Hi Stacey,

Personally I would take a very lightweight sleeping bag that opens up like a quilt. I loathe sleeping in a liner or fully zipped up bag because I can't get my feet out and I feel constrained. My first camino I followed the advice here and took just a liner, in a cold end May/early June I couldn't sleep from the cold and ended up buying a very cheap Decathlon sleeping bag along the way. I guess it depends on the weather, how important comfort is to you, how much weight you want to save, how cold you sleep at night, how happy you are sleeping in all your clothes, etc.

This spreadsheet is a bit dated but will give you an idea of what's heavy and what's expensive.

Dave C.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santa Domingo (2017)
Santa Domingo to Fromista (2018)
Fist camino I took a lightweight sleeping bag (same time frame). Next Camino took an even lighter weight liner (same time frame). Both worked. It really depends on what the weather does at the time. It is kind of a gamble. I got lucky, both worked for the years I went. Personally I would opt for less weight, but I am a warm sleeper.
Buen Camino!!

Dave C.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santa Domingo (2017)
Santa Domingo to Fromista (2018)
Oh, sorry. I never saw or heard of any bedbugs. But I did spray everything with permethrin to be safe.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I've walked three times in mid April thru May and always appreciated my lightweight sleeping bag. I ocassionally even added my fleece layer if chilly in the early weeks.

I spray my bag and backpack with Permathrin. I have seen bedbugs a couple of times but have not been bitten.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
If you are planning to start in SJPdP would bring the sleeping bag because of early elevation. As others have said a lite sleeping bag will serve you well.

Suggest another option bring a silk sheet and a very lite polyester or down quilt. Half the weight of a sleeping bag

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
I am planning to walk the Camino Frances beginning April 14, 2019. Are the evenings warm enough to get by with a liner or do I need a sleeping bag?

Thank you
Stacey
Hi Stacey. I started on April 22, 2017, and used a silk liner instead of a sleeping bag. On the rare occasions when a blanket was not available and/or I was in a cold room, I layered up with my warm clothing. I was never uncomfortable. Weight was a major consideration in determing what went into my pack. As much as I could, I opted for silk for its coolness, warmth, and light weight. A silk liner (Sea to Summit Traveler about $75 at REI) will add about 10 degrees Fahrenheit to your 'sleeping comfort experience'. I sprayed nothing for bed bugs and experienced none on the journey. I hope this helps a bit. Buen Camino in advance, John

AquariusT

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France's 2018

Thank you
Stacey
Hi Stacey
I started from SJdP on 20th April and finished in Santiago on 30th May with some rest days in hotels inbetween where I had no need of my sleeping bag.

I took a lightweight sleeping bag and silk liner. I was so happy that I did! Temperatures dropped as low as -4 C some mornings. The weather was really cold with icy winds as still snow on the higher mountain ranges. I used my liner, bag and also a blanket at times. I tend to not feel the cold much but my Camino was a chilly one. I had some hot days inbetween but mostly cold, cloudy dats with rain as well.
I sprayed my bag, liner and backpack with permethrin. No bedbugs. Another ite I wss pleased I had with me were gloves for the cold mornings.
Buen Camino

Tina B

Camino(s) past & future
walked Camino Frances 23 April- 23 May (2018), Camino Portuguese 2018/19
I used my tiny £30 480gm sleeping bag every night. Some nights were -3'C April May so I slept in leggings. Doing same this year

Attachments

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.8%