• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag or Liner in April

scking

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - April 2019
I am planning to walk the Camino Frances beginning April 14, 2019. Are the evenings warm enough to get by with a liner or do I need a sleeping bag?

Secondly, whatever I end up, should I be spraying it to protect from bed bugs?

Thank you
Stacey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Stacey,

Personally I would take a very lightweight sleeping bag that opens up like a quilt. I loathe sleeping in a liner or fully zipped up bag because I can't get my feet out and I feel constrained. My first camino I followed the advice here and took just a liner, in a cold end May/early June I couldn't sleep from the cold and ended up buying a very cheap Decathlon sleeping bag along the way. I guess it depends on the weather, how important comfort is to you, how much weight you want to save, how cold you sleep at night, how happy you are sleeping in all your clothes, etc.

This spreadsheet is a bit dated but will give you an idea of what's heavy and what's expensive.

Fist camino I took a lightweight sleeping bag (same time frame). Next Camino took an even lighter weight liner (same time frame). Both worked. It really depends on what the weather does at the time. It is kind of a gamble. I got lucky, both worked for the years I went. Personally I would opt for less weight, but I am a warm sleeper.
Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, sorry. I never saw or heard of any bedbugs. But I did spray everything with permethrin to be safe.

I've walked three times in mid April thru May and always appreciated my lightweight sleeping bag. I ocassionally even added my fleece layer if chilly in the early weeks.

I spray my bag and backpack with Permathrin. I have seen bedbugs a couple of times but have not been bitten.

If you are planning to start in SJPdP would bring the sleeping bag because of early elevation. As others have said a lite sleeping bag will serve you well.

Suggest another option bring a silk sheet and a very lite polyester or down quilt. Half the weight of a sleeping bag

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am planning to walk the Camino Frances beginning April 14, 2019. Are the evenings warm enough to get by with a liner or do I need a sleeping bag?

Thank you
Stacey

Hi Stacey. I started on April 22, 2017, and used a silk liner instead of a sleeping bag. On the rare occasions when a blanket was not available and/or I was in a cold room, I layered up with my warm clothing. I was never uncomfortable. Weight was a major consideration in determing what went into my pack. As much as I could, I opted for silk for its coolness, warmth, and light weight. A silk liner (Sea to Summit Traveler about $75 at REI) will add about 10 degrees Fahrenheit to your 'sleeping comfort experience'. I sprayed nothing for bed bugs and experienced none on the journey. I hope this helps a bit. Buen Camino in advance, John

Thank you
Stacey
Hi Stacey
I started from SJdP on 20th April and finished in Santiago on 30th May with some rest days in hotels inbetween where I had no need of my sleeping bag.

I took a lightweight sleeping bag and silk liner. I was so happy that I did! Temperatures dropped as low as -4 C some mornings. The weather was really cold with icy winds as still snow on the higher mountain ranges. I used my liner, bag and also a blanket at times. I tend to not feel the cold much but my Camino was a chilly one. I had some hot days inbetween but mostly cold, cloudy dats with rain as well.
I sprayed my bag, liner and backpack with permethrin. No bedbugs. Another ite I wss pleased I had with me were gloves for the cold mornings.
Buen Camino

I used my tiny £30 480gm sleeping bag every night. Some nights were -3'C April May so I slept in leggings. Doing same this year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190121-094814.png
    Screenshot_20190121-094814.png
    896.4 KB · Views: 33
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Stacey,

Personally I would take a very lightweight sleeping bag that opens up like a quilt. I loathe sleeping in a liner or fully zipped up bag because I can't get my feet out and I feel constrained. My first camino I followed the advice here and took just a liner, in a cold end May/early June I couldn't sleep from the cold and ended up buying a very cheap Decathlon sleeping bag along the way. I guess it depends on the weather, how important comfort is to you, how much weight you want to save, how cold you sleep at night, how happy you are sleeping in all your clothes, etc.

This spreadsheet is a bit dated but will give you an idea of what's heavy and what's expensive.
What did you end up using? I feel the same way - need to let my feet "breathe".

c
What did you end up using? I feel the same way - need to let my feet "breathe".

I think it was a YETI VIB 250 Down Sleeping Bag (couple of years ago so I'm not sure it's the same model). It doesn't unzip totally flat like a quilt but it gets most of the way there - enough to suit me. I've been very happy with it and taken it on all kinds of trips. I get cold so this works for me, probably way to warm for a lot of people. Seriously shop around though, I bought mine in a sale with a discount on top and I am sure it less than half the list price.

It'll depend on where you're staying. Municipal Albergues like Burgos and Zubiri can get very cold in April, and with blankets unavailable. I wouldn't want to be there in just my clothes and a silk liner.

However if you're going to be in private accommodation you can usually count on some extra bedding being there for you.

I'd go for a light 10 degree sleeping bag myself.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Stacey,
My wife and I are departing SJPDP on 15 April, and we are depending on our silk liners. In case of cold nights, she is planning to wear leggings at night, and I'll wear thermal underwear. We are also bringing emergency blankets (but the less noisy/crinkly ones) for very bad nights.

But now knowing about the lack of bedding at some municipal albergues, we will probably stay at private albergues if nights look cold.

Costco has the Eddie Bauer camping throw in stores again now. The insulating material is now Permaloft. It seems to be a couple oz heavier than the older version but still under 19 oz.
Dimensions 152x177cm (60x70in).

How about late May to late June? Would a lightweight sleeping bag be a good idea, or a light sleeping bag liner? This will be my first Camino Frances so I'm reaching out for some advice. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - I just found the Eddie Bauer throw on clearance at my Costco. Would you use this alone or with a sheet, not sure I want the nylon material against my skin.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.