• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or liner in May?

grimgram1378

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi All,
I’m Graham and I’m doing the Camino Frances from SJPDP starting second week of May 2023. (First timer)
Just asking is a sleeping bag necessary, or would a liner be enough?
I’m from N.Ireland so I’m used to a bit of cold weather.
Any comments/advice would be most appreciated.
G

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wouldn’t even bother with the liner. Sleep naked and the opprobrium will keep you warm 😉

Well, truth be told, I always take my sleeping bag. May to October I can sleep wherever the fancy or the road takes me. October to May I’ll seek shelter as required
Worth a try if stuck 🤣🤣. At least I’ll get to spend the night in a cell

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can remember a very chilly day in late-May after walking for hours in the Galician rain. Very glad to have had my sleeping bag to curl up in. A light weight 1-season bag (1 to 1.5 lbs) hardly weighs much more than a liner. I carry my sleeping bag on all my Caminos. Knowing that I have 12-15 miles to walk the next day, the last thing I want is a poor night’s sleep because I was cold.

The only sure answer is that you will "definitely" need to decide whether the risk of being cold is balanced by the work of carrying the sleeping bag, based on your typical comfort levels, the weather, what type of accommodation you will use, and what other layers you will have to wear on a chilly night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have always carried a sleeping bag, even in May. I don't tolerate mummy bags, so I accept the weight penalty of carrying a light, semi-rectangular bag that can open out as a quilt. I carry a permethrin treated liner that I can use even when I might not be using the bag, eg if I stay in a hostel. Could I just carry the liner? Perhaps, but I'm not inclined to give away the flexibility it gives me in where I can stay.

I have always carried a sleeping bag, even in May. I don't tolerate mummy bags, so I accept the weight penalty of carrying a light, semi-rectangular bag that can open out as a quilt. I carry a permethrin treated liner that I can use even when I might not be using the bag, eg if I stay in a hostel. Could I just carry the liner? Perhaps, but I'm not inclined to give away the flexibility it gives me in where I can stay.
Thanks for this. I’ll be walking is May-June too. Very sensible. I walked from Astorga in July with just a liner, but I wouldn’t do that again since I had to wear all my clothes more than once. Was fine, but not necessary. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for this. I’ll be walking is May-June too. Very sensible. I walked from Astorga in July with just a liner, but I wouldn’t do that again since I had to wear all my clothes more than once. Was fine, but not necessary. :)
Thanks Rebequa, perhaps I’ll see you ong the Way! 🙌🏻

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I had originally been advised that a liner would do the job but from reading your comments and advice I think I’ll bring along an ultra lightweight sleeping bag too. I’m not pre-booking any accommodation apart from the first night in SJPDP and I do enjoy the occasional night in the great outdoors so best come prepared! Buen Camino

Hi All,
I’m Graham and I’m doing the Camino Frances from SJPDP starting second week of May 2023. (First timer)
G
I did the walk in May from Leon in 2014 and only used a liner. You will be going over some higher elevations but I had no issues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
I always take a cotton/silk liner and a very compact lightweight down throw to give me a choice. Since you will likely be sleeping on a mattress, you don’t need to worry about insulation under you and the sleep liner, especially if it has some silk provides some warmth.
Another option is to look for a very warm liner and skip the down throw. Here's some info on liners:
For down throws, look carefully at weight and the size it compresses to:
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-camping-blanket
Buen camino

Hi,
I always take a cotton/silk liner and a very compact lightweight down throw to give me a choice. Since you will likely be sleeping on a mattress, you don’t need to worry about insulation under you and the sleep liner, especially if it has some silk provides some warmth.
Another option is to look for a very warm liner and skip the down throw. Here's some info on liners:
For down throws, look carefully at weight and the size it compresses to:
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-camping-blanket
Buen camino
Thanks Lizhk. Thats really useful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the recommendation of a friend, I have purchased the same sleeping bag. Cheaper and more versatile than a quality liner.
One of the things I really like about it is the comfy feel of the fabric as it does not have that awful slippery feel like cheaper bags usually do, nor does it slide round on the plastic mattress covers that are often used.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like things that may have more the one use.
A pareo served a beach blanket, light weight cover, a modesty curtain and a towel. And yes where they come from men wear it. :) That may be your liner.
A mummy sleeping back was utterly uncomfortable for me having to peel myself out of it in the morning.
So see what’s the coldest and whats the warmest recorded temperature in your timeframe and test sleep.
My solution was an old Army quilt. Which can serve as blanket or a poncho or a sunshade, when not used as a blanket it was my pillowcase.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I can remember a very chilly day in late-May after walking for hours in the Galician rain. Very glad to have had my sleeping bag to curl up in. A light weight 1-season bag (1 to 1.5 lbs) hardly weighs much more than a liner. I carry my sleeping bag on all my Caminos. Knowing that I have 12-15 miles to walk the next day, the last thing I want is a poor night’s sleep because I was cold.
Best response ever! Thanks.

Hi All,
G
I only had a liner and was sorry I didnt have a light sleeping bag as I found the liners awkard to get in and out of. Maybe if it had a zip but mine didn't. The sleeping bag can become a blanket when needed and in my opinion is more versatile. And it gives better cushioning on the plastic bed covering..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I only had a liner and was sorry I didnt have a light sleeping bag as I found the liners awkard to get in and out of. Maybe if it had a zip but mine didn't. The sleeping bag can become a blanket when needed and in my opinion is more versatile. And it gives better cushioning on the plastic bed covering..
I was just wondering that last night. How do you get into a liner on a bunk bed without shaking the frame and bunk partner at that. What if I have to use the loo in the middle of the night?? More shaking and fumbling about!! A light sleeping bag seems to make more sense now. Thanks 👍🏼

Hi All,
G
I walked the CF last May and I only ever used my liner. At one point I was tempted to ditch my sleeping bag but it was so lightweight I thought better of it. I found most Albergues supplied wool blankets for those slightly chillier nights. But I must add we were lucky to have walked during an unusual heatwave for that time of year. Buen Camino.

I decided to go with this little gem…

Thank You all for your comments and advice. I just don’t trust weather forecasts these days so better safe than sorry. Besides a liner may not be the best idea for the occasional morning glory 🙈🤣 Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was just wondering that last night. How do you get into a liner on a bunk bed without shaking the frame and bunk partner at that. What if I have to use the loo in the middle of the night?? More shaking and fumbling about!! A light sleeping bag seems to make more sense now. Thanks 👍🏼
Yes, less fumbling about with a sleeping bag. Hope you have a wonderful Camino. Lots of trial and error but then you find out what works best for you. It's all part of the fun too. ☘

Hi All,
G
We always take a quilt cover because all the hostels provide blankets, and if you get into the cotton bag, it does instead of sheets

Hi All,
G
I started my Camino in SJPDP May 4 and I used my sleeping bag (very very light weight) every night. I also had a liner. At times in some albergues it was nice to have the liner to lay on the mattress (many are plastic) and put my bag on top. Plus, I never sherpa. I carry my full pack because you never know what you might need along the trail and I wanted the camino to be a random adventure (I never prebooked accommodations) I liked knowing I had my sleeping bag with me if I were unable to find a bed. I could lay my poncho down and climb into that sleeping bag. :) Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I started my Camino in SJPDP May 4 and I used my sleeping bag (very very light weight) every night. I also had a liner. At times in some albergues it was nice to have the liner to lay on the mattress (many are plastic) and put my bag on top. Plus, I never sherpa. I carry my full pack because you never know what you might need along the trail and I wanted the camino to be a random adventure (I never prebooked accommodations) I liked knowing I had my sleeping bag with me if I were unable to find a bed. I could lay my poncho down and climb into that sleeping bag. :) Buen Camino.
I like that idea 👌🏼

I've now got a liner that has a lightweight quilt on one side. This gives me the flexibility to put quilt side up if it is cold and sheet side up if it is hot.
David, that sounds like a great option. What is brand and model of that liner? I have been using a $25 Coleman fleece liner for last 6 Caminos (April/May, June/July, Sept/Oct) as a sleeping bag is usually too hot and heavy. There have been a few times where a warmer upper side would be nice.

David, that sounds like a great option. What is brand and model of that liner? I have been using a $25 Coleman fleece liner for last 6 Caminos (April/May, June/July, Sept/Oct) as a sleeping bag is usually too hot and heavy. There have been a few times where a warmer upper side would be nice.
The brand is Camino+Casa. It is a custom Camino sleeping solution by @trecile. I'm not sure if she is still making them but I expect she might be willing to share what she did to put them together.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sleeping bag 100%. I followed the general advice on the forum and left my lightweight one behind on my first CF starting in September. Big mistake! First night out Roncesvalles there are no blankets. Freezing little sleep even tho I wore all of my clothes in bed. I bought a so so bag on the way. If you are going to be using mostly Albergues bring a lightweight bag and a silk liner. On my 3 caminos I've probably been glad to have a bag 25% of the nights that's a lot of nights.

Hi All,
G
I’ve walked the CF twice starting April 28 and carried a lightweight sleeping bag. Some nights I crawled into it and shivered, some nights I slept on top of it, and some nights I opened it and used it like a quilt. Many albergues offer a big pile of warm woolen blankets. With just a liner on a cooler night you could put one blanket under you and another one on top

Last edited:
Hi All,
G
two liners the first being bug repellant second down to 55 degrees. with all the other folks sleeping in beds around you. air temperature rarely goes go below 50. another additional technique is sleeping in your next day's underwear. sleeping bags not necessary. have a great adventure. buen camino stuart

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That might be genius. Brand?
The brand is "Camino+Casa". It was handmade by a forum member. I'm told the Camino Traveller sleeping bag, offered here in Canada by MEC is similar, although it isn't nearly as pretty as mine and doesn't have the cord system for securing it to the mattress. But it does have the quilted-on-one-side flexibility.

I agree with all the advice here to bring a light bag. I’ve walked my 3 Caminos in May. The first one I brought just a liner and experienced very cold, sleepless nights until I purchased an ultralight bag in Burgos and have used it ever since. There are so many variables such as some church albergues are just really cold places, some albergues are hot and stuffy, sometimes there’s a guy that insists on opening the windows, and I find mattresses covered with that rubber liner just feel cold to me.

OK Graham, I reverse the question to you: this May I’ll be bicycle touring in Ireland!! My route takes me from Dublin to Cork and then up the Wild Atlantic Way. Will my lightweight sleeping bag be enough or will I long for my 3 season bag?

Buen Camino!

I agree with all the advice here to bring a light bag. I’ve walked my 3 Caminos in May. The first one I brought just a liner and experienced very cold, sleepless nights until I purchased an ultralight bag in Burgos and have used it ever since. There are so many variables such as some church albergues are just really cold places, some albergues are hot and stuffy, sometimes there’s a guy that insists on opening the windows, and I find mattresses covered with that rubber liner just feel cold to me.

OK Graham, I reverse the question to you: this May I’ll be bicycle touring in Ireland!! My route takes me from Dublin to Cork and then up the Wild Atlantic Way. Will my lightweight sleeping bag be enough or will I long for my 3 season bag?

Buen Camino!
Hi Zordmot, Thanks for your advice.
All depends on where you are staying.
If you are camping then definitely a three season bag, but if you are staying in b&bs or hostels then they usually provide sheeting and quilts, and if not a light sleeping bag would do. Most places are heated.
We rarely get long spells of good weather in Ireland. The west coast, and in particular the north-west, is always much more unpredictable than the east.

I hope you enjoy your tour. There are loads of great locations to visit and as well as those you have listed, if you have time I, would recommend cycling the North Coast from Portstewart/Portrush along the coastal way to Larne or Carrickfergus. The views are amazing!
Graham

I have used a $25 Coleman fleece zippered liner for 5 Caminos over all 3 seasons just fine. A bit heavy at 27 oz, but the price and packed volume was right. It is extremely comfortable bottom and top, and full rectangular shape gives lots of room for me to move around all night. Next week I will do the CF with a Sea to Summit 50 degree Traveler model down sleeping bag. Expensive, but only weighs 15 ounces and packs to 1/3 the size of the Coleman. Figured it was time to treat myself to this luxury. Plus, everything fits with lots of room to spare into my $22 super-cheap Amazon 35 liter rucksack that weighs about 9 ounces; although I am still undecided between that and my tried and true Osprey Talon 33 that weights 2 pounds.

Hi Zordmot, Thanks for your advice.
All depends on where you are staying.
If you are camping then definitely a three season bag, but if you are staying in b&bs or hostels then they usually provide sheeting and quilts, and if not a light sleeping bag would do. Most places are heated.
We rarely get long spells of good weather in Ireland. The west coast, and in particular the north-west, is always much more unpredictable than the east.

I hope you enjoy your tour. There are loads of great locations to visit and as well as those you have listed, if you have time I, would recommend cycling the North Coast from Portstewart/Portrush along the coastal way to Larne or Carrickfergus. The views are amazing!
Graham
Thanks so much Graham!!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back