• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or Liner in September/October

johnvp

Hi

Is it possible to to not take a Sleeping bag and just have a good liner in September October anyone tried this and survived

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I read someone said they took a liner and used their rain poncho for warmth if needed. I myself have decided to take sheet liner, light weight warm throw blanket and use rain poncho id needed. will also be carrying thermals any in case soooo do not think i will need sleeping bag :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
a good liner in September October anyone tried this and survived
I have done it several times, and never been cold. Albergues have blankets, so I have never had to use my poncho as a blanket. :)

I walked the whole month of Oct. 2012 and used a silk liner and never had a problem. As stated the Albergues provide blankets. Buen Camino.

I walked the Camino in Sept/Oct 2009 and took both, used the sleeping bag twice, silk liner the rest of the time. Going again in two weeks, leaving the sleeping bag behind.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from le Puy to Santiago, Muxia sept to nov last year with a silk liner.i cannot sleep unless I am WARM, and I do not mean just, not cold!
I had two cold nights, Larrasoana, ghastly albergue and town, avoid if possible, and Los Arcos. Both times there were no blankets and wearing all my available clothes I was still cold. I took a metal water bottle to fill with boiling water, did the tirick beautifully!

I will add another voice to say a silk sleep sack or similar is sufficient, even in October. Most albergues do have blankets - with two very notable exceptions being the municipal albergues in Roncesvalles and Burgos. A handy trick is to be sure to ask if they have blankets when you check in, before you pay and get your credential stamped. In the case of Burgos, there are two more albergues there, and both have blankets.

I brought a 20+F bag (cold-blooded) and my wife brought a 45+F bag (menopausing), we were both quite comfortable and never used a blanket, even when it was below freezing outside. It depends a lot on your physiology. If I ever got cold I'd just shift a little closer to my wife :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think open windows are wonderful and add to the experience but you sure need to be prepared for it. I just hiked a portion of the del Norte in June and was quite surprised at how cold it was.

Hi. Im into my second day on the camino.
I bought a liner. I normally sleep hot. But even fully clothed and with a blanket I was a bit cold in St Jean and Orrison. Because others in my dorm have sleeping bags..they have been wanting the windows open all night. Which makes the room more fresher....but cooler for me in my liner. This may change as I head west.
Oh and the Orrisson beds have the most comfortable matresses. I slept so well last night.:)
Bring a sleeping bag, on 7 caminos the liner people were always cold, and regretted not having a sleeping bag. Weight not much in difference , Buen camino

I'm on the Camino at the moment (currently in Pamplona) and have a silk liner only. First 2 nights I wish I'd had a very light sleeping bag although you always have the option of wearing your clothes. Day time temps have been mid-70s. So what you decide may depend on how much you want to carry or have room for. Blankets not always readily available. But as I say - only on day 3.
Having a great time by the way.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carry both. With a lightweight two-season bag you have the option of not sleeping in it on hot nights, and some comfort if you should find yourself on a church porch or in a commune sports hall one night. Though those scenarios are pretty unlikely in September / October. I don't do commercials but there are numerous good value, good quality 2season bags that will come in under 8 oz / 250g.

I agree with everyone who votes for a silk liner only. I walked through October last year and had a very light sleeping bag (10C/50F) in which I roasted every night. I would never again take a sleeping bag, only a liner. The rooms are very warm because they are full of humans, and most albergues have blankets. It is much easier to get warm if you're cold (e.g., put on extra clothes) than to cool off if you're too hot.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back