Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or liner in September

Chris Gallacher

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2023)
Hi,

I walked the Frances/Finisterre/Muxia last year starting in March. Although I used a sleeping bag I a could have managed without it.

I am will be starting out from Oviedo to walk the Primitivo on the 19th of September and was wondering if I can get by with just a silk liner?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Chris

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't have any actual experience, but I'll be walking from late August through September. I plan on a silk liner and I'm going to buy this lightweight throw blanket from Montbell that's only 6.9 onces (197 grams)
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124593
I'm thinking that should be enough with the blankets provided by alberques.

Hi,

I walked the Frances/Finisterre/Muxia last year starting in March. Although I used a sleeping bag I a could have managed without it.

I am will be starting out from Oviedo to walk the Primitivo on the 19th of September and was wondering if I can get by with just a silk liner?

Chris
Hi Chris. I started last year on 29 Sept and finished on 2 Nov. I took a sleeping bag and a silk liner. I never used the liner. It was cool enough most nights that the sleeping bag was a welcome addition.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took a silk liner and a fleece liner (all folds down to about the volume of a large pair of socks) and the only time I was chilly was in a large hall where somebody left the fire exit open "for some air" - it WAS a bit whiffy in there

Thanks for the feedback.

I also took a silk liner on the Frances. I mostly used s sleeping bag but I am pretty sure the liner would have been ok as almost all the albergues I stayed in had blankets.

I suppose the question is, do most of the albergues on the Primitivo also have blankets?

While most have blankets they may not have a blanket for all the beds. I recall San Juan de Villapanada had maybe 8 or 10 blankets for 22 beds, and all beds were taken. It was also cold and humid. I used a blanket as well as my sleeping bag and was still cold. Considering I open my bedroom window at night even when it's 20 below ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked the Frances fall of '14 and brought sleeping bags. We both sweated all night. I slept primarily outside of my sleeping bag. In spring of '15 on the Frances we brought thin sleeping bag liners. They worked great. On the few nights it was cool, there was a blanket available. The one night we didn't claim a blanket and woke up cold, we simply put our jackets on top of us. We leave for #3 in late May, only taking the liners.

Hi,

Chris
i walked the frances last september with a liner. only trouble was early october if i wanted to stay in a municipal there were no blankets, so one cold nite then i just stayed where blankets were provided.

Hello all,

I am walking the primivito in August and was planning on just taking a liner, assuming it will be quite warm a that time? Should that be sufficient? Also this might be a stupid question but what is the best option for a pillow?

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,

I am walking the primivito in August and was planning on just taking a liner, assuming it will be quite warm a that time? Should that be sufficient? Also this might be a stupid question but what is the best option for a pillow?

Thanks
Best option for a pillow is those at the albergues, same as with the mattresses ;).

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.