• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or liner on the Salvador/Primitivo?

Soetkin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino san salvador and Primitivo
HI everyone,
I just found out about this forum 😁. I will walk the camino's san salvador and primitivo in July.
I'm hesitating a lot between bringing a sleeping bag, or a merino sleeping liner.
Ok, its summer, but in mountains temps can drop a lot. I will go on budget, are there blankets available should the liner not be sufficient ... or just take my sleeping bag?
Gr,
Soetkin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did that combination last fall in months that were starting to get cooler. Your liner will be enough. If you are chilly at night, wear a base-layer and take water bottle with some hot (not boiling!!) water in it to bed and put it inside your liner; it will function like a little radiator.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don’t mean to be rude here, but these questions are un-answerable unless we know whether you “run hot” or “run cold,” and unless you know whether I “run hot” or “run cold” when I give you my opinion. For instance, I disagree with what my buddy @El Cascayal wrote above, when she said you only need a liner in July. I don’t disagree that she only needed a liner in July, but I did need a sleeping bag. I always carry a lightweight one, about 500g, and I have not walked a single camino when I did not use it. Sometimes I have been in albergues with people sleeping in their underwear with no covering, and I was in my bag. There is such a huge range of comfort levels!

Once you have walked a camino you will know what works for you, but until then I would go with your instinct. If you’re one of the ones who always brings a sweater to deal with the AC in summer time, you probably need one. If you run around in short sleeves in winter time, you probably don’t. Gender and body weight (padding?) also have something to do with it.

It’s not an irreversible decision in most cases, since you can sleep in your rain jacket, put socks on your hands, etc., if you are cold, or send your sleeping bag ahead to Santiago if you find you just don’t need it.

I would not trust the blankets. I have two sleeping bags: one a little heavier for colder climes and one lighter for warmer conditions. I'm assuming you're staying in an albergue. On my trek (May/June) I used the lighter one and found it to be all I needed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would not trust the blankets. I have two sleeping bags: one a little heavier for colder climes and one lighter for warmer conditions. I'm assuming you're staying in an albergue. On my trek (May/June) I used the lighter one and found it to be all I needed.
Thank you so much, LewSher!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your insights!
I agree ... a lot depends on your own comfort-levels.
In the meantime, I have spent lots of time on this subject (I'm sick at this moment 🤕), and I think I figured it out.
My plan at this moment:
1/ a silk liner from coccoon, 160gr, 92 euro
2/ a merino wool travelblanket from coccoon, 390gr, 90 euro

I think this is a good balance between sleeping comfort, total weight and price, and ease of mind .. as I indeed dont like the cold.
Pretty happy with this 😁.

Your thoughts?

For instance, I disagree with what my buddy @El Cascayal wrote above, when she said you only need a liner in July. I don’t disagree that she only needed a liner in July, but I did need a sleeping bag. I always carry a lightweight one, about 500g
Hey Laurie good to have another opinion. Yes, everyone is different. July is July. I encourage people to check the weather forecasts on several sites before you go. There have been extreme unexpected changes and it’s good to be prepared.
Which is your very light sleeping bag? (which would likely still be too heavy for me, at this time).
PS: in early October there were available blankets in Albergues León-San Francisco, in Poladura de Tercia, in Pajares, and Bendueños.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
HI everyone,
I just found out about this forum 😁. I will walk the camino's san salvador and primitivo in July.
I'm hesitating a lot between bringing a sleeping bag, or a merino sleeping liner.
Ok, its summer, but in mountains temps can drop a lot. I will go on budget, are there blankets available should the liner not be sufficient ... or just take my sleeping bag?
Gr,
Soetkin
I walked the Primitivo last October and the San Salvador this year in May. I took a very light liner and used it once on the Primitivo when a very rude woman, in a sleeping bag refused to shut the window beside her bed.
On both routes extra blankets were available in most albergues but not all. I am Canadian and accustomed to cold. I saw few people carrying sleeping bags.

I don’t mean to be rude here, but these questions are un-answerable unless we know whether you “run hot” or “run cold,” and unless you know whether I “run hot” or “run cold” when I give you my opinion. For instance, I disagree with what my buddy @El Cascayal wrote above, when she said you only need a liner in July. I don’t disagree that she only needed a liner in July, but I did need a sleeping bag. I always carry a lightweight one, about 500g, and I have not walked a single camino when I did not use it. Sometimes I have been in albergues with people sleeping in their underwear with no covering, and I was in my bag. There is such a huge range of comfort levels!

Once you have walked a camino you will know what works for you, but until then I would go with your instinct. If you’re one of the ones who always brings a sweater to deal with the AC in summer time, you probably need one. If you run around in short sleeves in winter time, you probably don’t. Gender and body weight (padding?) also have something to do with it.

It’s not an irreversible decision in most cases, since you can sleep in your rain jacket, put socks on your hands, etc., if you are cold, or send your sleeping bag ahead to Santiago if you find you just don’t need it.
Perhaps we could pin this somewhere prominent?
Or even better, get it to flash up when someone starts to type the words 'bag' and 'liner' into a new thread title..? (maybe AI can be a force for good afterall)

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back