• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag or Liner

almhath

I've been wondering if I should take a sleeping bag or a liner: http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500057&s ... Bag+Liners

I have a very light sleeping bag, but I am packing very light, watching ounces. The liner is lighter...but if it's cold...

Another thread suggested that in the refugios/albugues it may be 60F or so at night in most cases. If so, then maybe a liner would be okay? If so, then what kind?

Perhaps I'm doing over-kill taking a sleeping bag, even a light one, in the event of a cold night or having to sleep outside some night. We carry our fears in our bags, I see.

Maybe a bag lINER would be good, if a warm one, and if it's really cold some night in an alburgue, then sleep in my clothes inside the liner... Save weight?

Almha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Camino Frances last May. I took light sleeping bag and was glad I did. Some alberques have blankets that you could supplement your liner but not all have them. I also took a liner and left it for another pilgrim in Puenta La Reins.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from May 13 to June 20 and I was happy to have a lightweight sleeping bag. Some nights it got really cold. You have to remember that some of these old buildings are really hard to heat correctly (according to American standards, at least) and retain a lot of humidity. In early June, I stayed in Foncebadon in the mountains and even during the day it was cold (15°celsius and windy). My sleeping bas was a Canyon Zip, cheap and lightweight. It's coming back with me in 2013 (http://www.depotpleinair.com/dpa-en/index.html )

That's my take...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are walking in March you likely need more than just a sleeping bag liner. I did the Camino in March 2010. It was cold, windy, rainy, snowy, muddy and wet. Very much wintertime -- something that I neither expected nor was properly prepared for by way of the clothing that I carried. Some of the alburgues were hot and stuffy, others had no overnight heat at all and were damp and very cold.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Falcon funny thing you mentioned the Lafuma cause I just literally purchased the Lafuma Extreme 800Ld Sleeping Bag
1lbs 13oz and compressible to 6x12 inches
Rated for 40F but i will be sleeping in layers.
Close to spec of the Alps Fleece liner but more protection.
Hard to beat at $60.15

http://www.amazon.com/Lafuma-Extreme-Sl ... 660&sr=8-1

Another reason why I wanted to purchase a bag now instead of waiting till i get to St Jean is I will be staying in different hostels around Europe before i go off to my Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I went in May 2008 and took the SILK BAG you see in the SkyMall Catalogues on airplanes. They actually still sell it. I loved it because it covered the pillow and mattress easily. I got a large and I'm a med sized female. I will take it again. I slept in my ski silks underwear. only two nights out of 6 weeks on the Camino was I not given a blanket, but those two nights are still in my memory bank. I don't want to take a huge heavy sleeping bag, but plan on taking a VERY light weight, stuffable, rectangular bag that i can use as a blanket if needed. i may even take a kid's bag. You really wont need it often if at all. I took an egg carton foam roll last time and never even took it off my pack once.

Please, please, please - context is important. If you are relaying your experience that you didn't need to use a sleeping bag, you really do need to say what time of year you were walking, where you started, and did you rely on finding albergues that provided blankets.

I started in SJPP in Mar 2010, carried a +5 deg C bag and light liner in a compression sac, and would not walk at that time of year without a bag. It allowed me to stay in

• the old school gym in Zubiri where there were mattresses but no blankets, and
  • at places like Granon and Espinosa del Camino - brisk is a barely adequate description for both places. Both provided blankets but it was more convenient wrapping up in a sleeping bag rather than trying to stay under a pile of blankets.

Without a sleeping bag, I would have had to think about more expensive accommodation options or walking on to the next town to find a warmer place to stay.

My own view is that a liner is essential for any trip where you will be sharing your bed with the many dozens of people who have previously slept in it. I don't treat it as an option in those circumstances.

Regards,

I'll be starting from St Jean in April and I bought a Vango Wilderness 250 online. I was a bit worried about the size and weight when it was delivered. It weighs 1350g and is 28 x 20cm when packed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Wildernes ... B000P9CLS0

It should keep me nice and warm but I am concerned that it may take up too much space in my backpack.

Has anyone else used this particular bag on the Camino?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
nc6000 said:
I'll be starting from St Jean in April and I bought a Vango Wilderness 250 online. I was a bit worried about the size and weight when it was delivered. It weighs 1350g and is 28 x 20cm when packed.

I would not want to carry that bag. It is almost 3 pounds or 1.5 kg

dougfitz said:
Please, please, please - context is important. If you are relaying your experience that you didn't need to use a sleeping bag, you really do need to say what time of year you were walking, where you started, and did you rely on finding albergues that provided blankets.

I started in SJPP in Mar 2010, carried a +5 deg C bag and light liner in a compression sac, and would not walk at that time of year without a bag. It allowed me to stay in

• the old school gym in Zubiri where there were mattresses but no blankets, and
  • at places like Granon and Espinosa del Camino - brisk is a barely adequate description for both places. Both provided blankets but it was more convenient wrapping up in a sleeping bag rather than trying to stay under a pile of blankets.

Without a sleeping bag, I would have had to think about more expensive accommodation options or walking on to the next town to find a warmer place to stay.

My own view is that a liner is essential for any trip where you will be sharing your bed with the many dozens of people who have previously slept in it. I don't treat it as an option in those circumstances.

Regards,

Not sure if you were referring to me, but I went the last week of April and the entire month of May. I started in Pamplona and took the Frances trail. I didn't take a sleeping bag, only a silk liner. I was given blankets every night, but two. I froze on those two nights. I stayed in a hotel 2 nights out of 6 weeks. Otherwise I stayed in the Aubergues every night. I grew to think that they ALWAYS gave out blankets. It was a rude awakening when I hit one Aubergue that did not. This is why I'm asking the question of others.

I am going in september this time and I want to take a rectangular bag along with my liner so that I can unzip it and use it as a blanket. Sorry if I was not clear.

rubyslippers said:
dougfitz said:
Please, please, please - context is important. snip

Not sure if you were referring to me, but I went the last week of April and the entire month of May. I started in Pamplona and took the Frances trail. I didn't take a sleeping bag, only a silk liner. I was given blankets every night, but two. I froze on those two nights. I stayed in a hotel 2 nights out of 6 weeks. Otherwise I stayed in the Aubergues every night. I grew to think that they ALWAYS gave out blankets. It was a rude awakening when I hit one Aubergue that did not. This is why I'm asking the question of others.

I am going in september this time and I want to take a rectangular bag along with my liner so that I can unzip it and use it as a blanket. Sorry if I was not clear.
Rubyslippers, you were not the only one who didn't give the context of their advice. I think establishing the context of our experience is important to make sure those who do read it properly understand how it applies to where and when they are considering walking.

Thank you for sharing the context and the circumstances you faced.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am beginning in SJPP in late April and do not intend to take a sleeping bag. Does anyone remember which refugios do not give out blankets? Ali

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back